Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Routine ASTER Global Digital Elevation Model  (Read 8808 times)

ddenn

Routine ASTER Global Digital Elevation Model
« on: October 19, 2011, 10:08:15 am »

I thought I must post this info here https://lpdaac.usgs.gov/about/news_archive/monday_october_17_2011

May be it will be useful for Outerra terrain or for parts of it.
i7 3930K 3.50 (3.80) Ghz, 32Gb RAM, GTX980 4 Gb VRAM, Windows 7 64-bit

About Outerra in Russian

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Routine ASTER Global Digital Elevation Model
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 11:17:43 am »

Whoa, good news. I hope it will be much better than what version 1 provided.

Thanks for the notice.

Spudly

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 06:03:48 pm »

I saw this the other day and was hoping it meant good things for Outerra.  You have to love all the data available on earth that wasn't intended for games, but Outerra will be able to take advantage of.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 07:01:28 pm »

What is this... "Earth" you speak of?
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

Lieste

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 09:32:25 pm »

Jonathan Ferranti reviewed the new dataset, and concluded that is was still 'research-grade' only - lots of the visually distracting worms/pits/spikes. Some areas noticeably 'improved' but the QA data attached suggests this is due to auxiliary sources rather than the GDEM data itself (eg SRTM V3 (with NGA inputs especially)/STRM V2).

Lieste

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 09:29:11 pm »

Just took the opportunity to download two cells for an area I know well (Purbeck) - well, it is horrid. Complete waste of bandwidth for low/flat areas - the entire height field is filled with noise +/-2 to 5m spikes and pits on almost every other cell.

Remember SRTM ver 0, before they did any pre-processing - and how the areas near water were unusable... this is like that, but everywhere (except where GDEM is unavailable and is void-filled with better data  ::))

I'll stick with SRTM v2 or CGIAR SRTM (v4), and other free/easy to use DEM sources such as Panorama GB, rather than jump through hoops to obtain... what?

Not sure what the mention of (USGS) SRTM v3 means - apparently it is higher quality, using defence inputs, but what that means for 'free to use' is anyone's guess.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 01:20:43 am »

Looks they will need several more scans to average and filter out the noise before it can become usable. Maybe it could be combined with SRTM, using that for flat/lowlands and ASTER for mountains, where one needs a better resolution anyway. Dunno if it's worth the effort though.

Thanks for testing it.