Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: what would be a good 3d modeler  (Read 9507 times)

Chiapet

what would be a good 3d modeler
« on: October 13, 2011, 05:19:37 pm »

for me to start learning? what does outerra use for its models? can i use something like gmax( is that even still around) or any free 3d modeling programs i could use to make stuff?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: what would be a good 3d modeler
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 05:55:12 am »

Probably the best would be the new version of Blender (with the reworked UI). It has a steep learning curve, but it's a pretty good modeling program actually, if you endure.

Jak_o_Shadows

• http://jak-o-shadows.users.sourceforge.net
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 07:08:11 am »

I would second blender. It's free, very small file size (compared to the big boys 3ds max) and it's not a dead-end program like gmax. Some skills you learn will be applicable to all programs, the more important thing is to keep trying.
Do you know how hard it is to get a 51 frame gif under 10kb at a decent resolution?

AKNightHawk

• http://www.moddb.com/games/assault-knights-reign-of-steel
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 07:49:13 pm »

My personal preference is 3Ds Max 8 and 2009. But if I was you. I would say try them all, That way you can see for yourself what you prefer. There are several free ones out there.. But I would not personally stop there. I would try every single one of them that you can get your hands on and find the one that suits you best. Then when you find the one that suits you best, learn everything you can with it.

Because you will not know what you are missing out on until you try them all. It took me quite a few years to figure that out. I finally focused on 3Ds Max. After testing the rest. And never looked back.
Assault Knights:Reign of Steel
Donate to the Assault Knights project
I always think everything is better with mechs.

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 08:12:57 pm »

I personally prefer Lightwave.  The interface is a lot cleaner and easier to learn than most 3d apps, including the free ones, and the modeler is currently separate from the rendering/animation engine (although that should end in the next version or 2).  I've tried quite a number of them, but I always return to Lightwave.  If all you want to do is learn modeling, go with the free apps for now.  The learning curve from one 3d app to another isn't that great, so if you happen to be good at modeling and eventually land a job doing it, you'll see a whole new world open up :)

And all that aside, if you can afford it, the professional 3d modeling programs (Lightwave, Maya3d, 3d Max, and a few others) are well worth the investment, and will afford you more creativity than you ever dreamed possible.

But also remember modeling isn't about the 3d app.  It's also about the textures.  You'll need to learn a graphics program like Photoshop as well to get the most out of the 3d application.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

mctash

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 07:55:58 pm »

oh oh oh

I must answer this :) I discovered only yesterday that if you are a teacher, a student or unemployed (with a history of engineering/3d design) Autodesk will let you use most of their products for free and they are full verisons!!! So 3ds Max, Mudbox etc etc etc.

Good job Autodesk.

Lieste

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 09:31:57 pm »

I'm currently using AC3d as my 3d package, though it has lots of things it can't do...
I have found Accutrans very helpful in file conversion (and in building files from data exported from excel as a simple list - most recent 'mini-project' to visualise the STS-40 BET and OTT HAC)