Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Outerra Beta Video  (Read 63429 times)

Lieste

Re: Outerra Beta Video
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2011, 03:05:54 pm »

While the 'flight equations' are really simple, they also lead to 'canned' effects as noted by the original comment.

There are several methods that can be used to improve this somewhat - I once upon a time used external pre-processing of the aerodata to emulate the 3d flowfield around a Bf109F4, with the slat/flap/tail interaction and downwash contributions at the tail to correct the output from a "simple" flat-plate, multi-element simulation, and the behaviour near to the stall and in bunts was enormously (albeit subtly) improved... but it was a bear finding the appropriate modifications to align the output from the simulator to those from the engineering data/formulae.

To actually do it 'properly' wasn't possible in real-time, and even now might be all that a mid-range PC can do (and that in a still-simplified mode).

Chris M

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2011, 03:34:15 pm »

JSBSim is using lookup tables for the stability derivates. Those should already contain all required data for the realistic result in little calculation time.

Obtaining the stability derivates on the other hand can be a very tedious job. Either you need a wind tunnel or lots of processing power. Nothing for a real time application. (Modern GPUs might change that, though)

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2011, 05:21:43 am »

The problem is that we don't have satellite data from that period :)
With lakes not yet supported, the terrain is flat there. I'm was thinking about some algorithms that would create the lake beds out of the available data, though it's going to be random. Or have people submitting the data for their regions, produced from old maps.

... Cameni, seems SHMU wont for some reason give away their data out of schoolar projects ... anyway, the regional authorities may have some out for us, so I would like to ask about known/reported lakes, streams and dams out of our Orava one, that have no data in outerra out of SR. Will write them to make us those available in any usable form, so i would ask right for all of them at once ...
    And just for my interests: What strategy will you in future try to apply for river streams?  Just making another material-layer whyte predefined borders on the map, or making something "hi-soft" like making the water find its way to the low-ground, witch would make it find itself their position (height gradient oriented and adjusted to their constant(or combined|-flow/actual-areaprofile ratio | for any change in the terrain profile for the map-editor ?
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2011, 06:44:23 am »

Simulating water flow for the whole world would be a demanding task, and it wouldn't necessarily lead to the same state of the world as we know it now, because of the limited resolution of elevation and precipitation data, and because of complete lack of historical data for such simulation. Since the elevations we've got are computed from the lengths of the reflected rays from satellites, and the rays happily reflect from water surfaces, we don't have the river beds there. So, the end result would be quite different.

Our plan is to use a vector database for the main rivers, but a kind of simulation might be employed for small streams for which there are no readily available vector data, but that can be inferred from the terrain itself. Running the simulation on a smaller scale, basically just by identifying the drainage basins of the smallest rivers from the vector dataset and simulating the flow on them separately might just work.

It's also something that we would like to do for a planet designer, where you start with a planet by outlining the continents, mountain ranges and arterial rivers, and fractal-driven algorithms would refine it into details. Unlike the main rivers, course of which largely depends on initial chances and weather during the ages when they formed, small rivers better follow the simple downhill flow rules. So while you could largely affect and determine the course of a large river, small rivers will flow as they must, or else you would also carve the mountains anew.

Dave

« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2011, 01:41:42 pm »

Simulating water flow for the whole world would be a demanding task, and it wouldn't necessarily lead to the same state of the world as we know it now, because of the limited resolution of elevation and precipitation data, and because of complete lack of historical data for such simulation. Since the elevations we've got are computed from the lengths of the reflected rays from satellites, and the rays happily reflect from water surfaces, we don't have the river beds there. So, the end result would be quite different.

Our plan is to use a vector database for the main rivers, but a kind of simulation might be employed for small streams for which there are no readily available vector data, but that can be inferred from the terrain itself. Running the simulation on a smaller scale, basically just by identifying the drainage basins of the smallest rivers from the vector dataset and simulating the flow on them separately might just work.

It's also something that we would like to do for a planet designer, where you start with a planet by outlining the continents, mountain ranges and arterial rivers, and fractal-driven algorithms would refine it into details. Unlike the main rivers, course of which largely depends on initial chances and weather during the ages when they formed, small rivers better follow the simple downhill flow rules. So while you could largely affect and determine the course of a large river, small rivers will flow as they must, or else you would also carve the mountains anew.
Can something like this http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/game-programming/polygon-map-generation/ method be use for generating rivers in Outerra?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2011, 03:14:39 pm »

Maybe outside of Outerra, in the preparation phase. The engine will take the resulting vector data of generated rivers.

DarkDXZ

• Exception within exception...EXCEPTION!
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2011, 12:14:28 pm »

Also, I saw that you said something about realtime destructible terrain, right?
Can we expect this feature in upcoming demo thingy? (I know it's a very slim chance, if not impossible, but you know...)

Because I want to tear down Himalayas and bring it to Tatra! You would like to do so, too, if you was on my place.
"The Pope? How many divisions has he got?" - Joseph Stalin

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2011, 02:35:30 pm »

Also, I saw that you said something about realtime destructible terrain, right?
Can we expect this feature in upcoming demo thingy? (I know it's a very slim chance, if not impossible, but you know...)

Pretty sure the terrain destruction thing will include tracks left behind by the tatra on soft surfaces and craters from explosions. We had discussed things like digging holes and moving dirt and it is possible but likely unnecessary at this point of the game.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2011, 02:42:00 pm »

No, the demo will be just for exploration. Destructible terrain will come later to the game, in sandbox mode.
Of course, not for moving the whole mountains :)

[deleted]

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2011, 02:46:11 pm »

No, the demo will be just for exploration. Destructible terrain will come later to the game, in sandbox mode.

Yes yes better than frostbite I hope :>

Jagerbomber

« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2011, 04:35:42 pm »

lol  ::)
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

DarkDXZ

« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2011, 12:56:32 pm »

**sound of disappointment**
But maybe in some game made in future? Uberdark-esque...

Anyways...

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2011, 01:59:53 pm »

I can't quite imagine the machine that would be able to move the mountains .. not even thinking about how it would deform the continental plates and render the continents unstable for ages :)

DarkDXZ

« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2011, 09:16:38 am »

Well, but I guess that we could be able to tunnel mountains out pretty much at least...
(I want to have a straight tunnel from Poland to some eastern Russia. Why? Because I would be able to do so.)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2011, 12:14:10 am »

I can't quite imagine the machine that would be able to move the mountains ..

This will do. This and a bit of time. That is what he meant. No-one is asking for the mountains to move in an instant. But if some crazy bastard wanted to. They could get a shovel and try.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5