Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Outerra Beta Video  (Read 63433 times)

petitfilou

Outerra Beta Video
« on: November 03, 2011, 07:16:28 pm »

With Cameni and Angrypig's permission, here's a video of the beta, having fun with the recording feature in Outerra and editing in Premiere.  There's no post process. Everything is straight out of the engine. Hope you'll enjoy it. Cheers.   

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
Re: Outerra Beta Video
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 07:42:24 pm »

+1000!

Excellent production quality, and one heck of a good choice for a sound track.  That's Karl Jenkin's, correct?  Was a fan of that album, if it's the one I think it is.

Kind of interesting that you chose it too ... it was one I had been recently considering for the 2011 Retrospective Video.

Will be sending you a PM shortly ... got a question for you.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

Dmytro Lyakh

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 08:29:25 pm »

Wow!

Epic:

- terrain detail
- waves
- water

Not so epic :)

- aircraft self shadows

Anyway, both video and outerra is simply incredible :)

tim.holm

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 10:03:15 pm »

Probably one of the most beautiful videos I've seen captured from a game engine! :)

Extremely fitting song!

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 11:01:12 pm »

The amount of editing to not show any of the normal bugs must have been tremendous. I feel like making the polar opposite of this video to the benny hill theme. Just Towers of land in the ocean and falling trough the earth in a tatra. I assume he is on an Nvidia which would help him out a bit.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

C. Shawn Smith

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 11:12:07 pm »

The amount of editing to not show any of the normal bugs must have been tremendous. I feel like making the polar opposite of this video to the benny hill theme. Just Towers of land in the ocean and falling trough the earth in a tatra. I assume he is on an Nvidia which would help him out a bit.

You remind me of someone in my current job as a Forum Community Liaison who's been a thorn in my side since I first started lol.  Why I made him a Valued Community Member I'll never understand :p

*cough* ATI sucks *cough*

SpaceFlight

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 04:13:42 am »

Nice video.  8)
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

petitfilou

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 05:01:51 am »

Hey all,  thanks for the comments. 

C. Shawn Smith - Yes, I think it is from Karl Jenkins.  I feel bad now,  sorry you wanted to use it for the 2011 video.  :(

ZeosPantera - I'm on Nvidia, and I do get bugs, just maybe not to the Ati standard  ;)   Actually, my pc is pretty old by todays benchmark.  I got an Intel Core 2 Duo  E8500  3.17Ghz  8gig Ram  Win7 64x  Nvidia GTS 250 512mb.  So definitely not top of the range here.  I get smooth framerate everywhere with a drop near Fractapolis and its crowded area.

ldmytro - I don't know why the self shadows are like that on the plane (I do have shadow map size at 4096), Angrypig's videos seem to display them better. I know that I don't have Outerra set to the max settings.  Antialiasing could be increased, etc.

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 04:20:54 am by petitfilou »

giallanon

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 05:14:26 am »

Awesome

C. Shawn Smith

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 05:20:12 am »

It's interesting to note, if you look VERY closely at the valleys in this video and others previously posted, that the natural rivers are easily visible, even if there's no water there.  It was one of the first things I noticed when I started testing Outerra.  You can call up the Google maps, and literally follow all the tributaries etc.

To me, that alone speaks an amazing volume of conversation to the Outerra engine.  You can see this stuff, just itching to be included.  Forget the clouds and environments ... to see the Mississippi or Colorado rivers flowing, despite them not currently being in the engine, is amazing.  They are there.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 05:47:03 am »

ldmytro - I don't know why the self shadows are like that on the plane (I do have shadow map size at 4096), Angrypig's videos seem to display them better. I know that I don't have Outerra set to the max settings.  Antialiasing could be increased, etc.
Pig says it's nothing to do with shadows, but the material shader that he touched a while back while debugging something, and then forgot to return back.
We'll release a patch, at least we can check if the patch system works. I'm actually expecting some issues on different Windows versions that we didn't test.

petitfilou

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 06:11:01 am »

It's interesting to note, if you look VERY closely at the valleys in this video and others previously posted, that the natural rivers are easily visible, even if there's no water there.  It was one of the first things I noticed when I started testing Outerra.  You can call up the Google maps, and literally follow all the tributaries etc.

To me, that alone speaks an amazing volume of conversation to the Outerra engine.  You can see this stuff, just itching to be included.  Forget the clouds and environments ... to see the Mississippi or Colorado rivers flowing, despite them not currently being in the engine, is amazing.  They are there.

Funny you mentionned that, as a while ago, I was curious to see how my home village and area I used to live in Switzerland looked in Outerra.  And it's on a lakeside, obviously like you said, missing the lake and rivers. But I was getting the same views, and feel as being there. Even without final textures.  It was kinda "disturbing" in a good way.  ;D

Cameni - Glad to hear that.  :)

C. Shawn Smith

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 06:19:49 am »

Funny you mentionned that, as a while ago, I was curious to see how my home village and area I used to live in Switzerland looked in Outerra.  And it's on a lakeside, obviously like you said, missing the lake and rivers. But I was getting the same views, and feel as being there. Even without final textures.  It was kinda "disturbing" in a good way.  ;D

Cameni - Glad to hear that.  :)

I get the same thing where I live, which is more or less Flatland.  But you can still see it, and it literally sends chills up and down my spine, seeing the possibilities.  Cameni and Angrypig have a HUGE gap to fill there, but seeing what I've seen so far, I have no doubt they can accomplish it. :)  I know for a fact the first time I see Lake Lewisville, or the Colorado River (let alone half a dozen other rivers in the world), I'm going to cry like a baby.  And when they add clouds???  I'm going to need professional therapy sessions.

Dmytro Lyakh

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 08:47:28 am »

Hey all,  thanks for the comments. 

C. Shawn Smith - Yes, I think it is from Karl Jenkins.  I feel bad now,  sorry you wanted to use it for the 2011 video.  :(

ZeosPantera - I'm on Nvidia, and I do get bugs, just maybe not to the Ati standard  ;)   Actually, my pc is pretty old by todays benchmark.  I got an Intel Core 2 Duo  E8500  3.17Ghz  8gig Ram  Win7 64x  Nvidia GTS 250 512mb.  So definately not top of the range here.  I get smooth framerate everywhere with a drop near Fractapolis and its crowded area.

Cheers
GTS250? And it runs THAT smooth and detailed? Oh. My. God. Can't imagine how good it will run on my GTX 480 SLI system.

Cameni and Angripig - what you did is a miracle. :)

Sigh, I wish I was included in testers team... As a software developer myself I think I would be able to provide you with feedback you need. But alas - I had to be way more active here during this year. :)

OGREMAN

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 10:21:52 pm »

Nice Video with lovely well chosen music, some of the scenes were breathtaking (mountain peaks & beach) but the aircraft motion is all wrong, kind of plastic toy... difficult to explain what I mean by that.
`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves  Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:All mimsy were the borogoves,
  And the mome raths outgrabe.
\"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun;  The frumious Bandersnatch!\"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5