Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Always the same planet?  (Read 7838 times)

LoudGe

Always the same planet?
« on: November 28, 2011, 07:34:59 am »

Hi, I'm from Germany, new at this forum.

First, I'm f*cking impressed by Outerra :D Awesome to imagine exploring a whole planet, to live on it for your own or sharing it with your friends. A WHOLE PLANET :D Seriously I would buy your company if I had the money and support you :D

My Question: At battle.no you say: "One of the major differences is the fact that Outerra will come with a world (a whole planet) that is ready from the start, in a pristine state the planet might have looked before the civilization. From the game makers’ perspective it means they will be modifying and populating an existing location on Earth instead of getting an empty constrained level to work with from scratch."

When I first read about Outerra I imagined it being an engine, which is able to plot different Planets, with different maps, continents, oceans. When I read this it sound like there would be only the Earth to explore.

It would be absolutely awesome, if there would be a software making you able to create your own planet, giving it the parameters you want the planet to have, and allowing you to (easily) design a (2D-) Map. Based on this Map and the Parameters Outerra would create a 3D-Planet you can explore/interact with.

In this editor you maybe could "draw" zones for forests, oceans, grass, ice and so on. Or you could draw roads, rivers... I don't think this should be to hard to create should it? It would be legen... wait for it... dairy ;D

EDIT:
Kind of solved:
and also algorithms and tools specifically tailored to artificial or completely procedural planets.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 08:03:09 am by LoudGe »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Always the same planet?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 08:18:25 am »

Initially we are focusing on Earth, but the engine is not limited to it. See for example the ME-DEM project, a reconstruction of Middle Earth in Outerra.

There's also a plan to support completely random worlds, but we want to go a different route as other fractal planet generators - we want the planets to look natural in the first place, not content with the output of ridged perlin noise and such. It must be also possible to control the process. We plan to have a planet generator later that will be able to generate the world from rough user provided or randomly generated data of basic continents, mountain ranges and rivers, using algorithms for plate tectonics and erosion etc.