Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Integrating Vector Data - Roads  (Read 49469 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Integrating Vector Data - Roads
« on: May 25, 2010, 05:09:14 am »

New update on integration of vector data, specifically the roads, can be seen here:

http://outerra.blogspot.com/2010/05/integrating-vector-data-roads.html

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 01:21:47 pm »

Looks amazing!  It's only getting better!
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

Abc94

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 02:02:26 pm »

Roads look great!  I really like the terrain deformation when the roads are placed.  I am going to make one of the images my desktop!  :D

I look forward to Angrypig's video with the air strips.  :)

I have a question though.  In the video, it looked like the trees were just one image being rotated to the view angle.

I'm just seeing things right?  Or is this just kind of like a placeholder until different trees are implemented?  :|

Anyways, the update was definitatly worth the wait!  I am excited to use the road tool!  Will the road tool be in the demo?
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 02:12:09 pm »

A question just occurred to me: Is there any way that roads can be inserted into the terrain via the already existing connection with Google Maps?
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
Karel Janoušek
So be our guide

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 02:38:30 pm »

Quote from: Abc94
I have a question though.  In the video, it looked like the trees were just one image being rotated to the view angle.
I'm just seeing things right?  Or is this just kind of like a placeholder until different trees are implemented?  :|
Yes the trees are billboards, it wouldn't be possible to draw so many of them otherwise. But you are also right that there will be different trees - trees close to the camera will smoothly switch to models. It could be done even now, if we had an appropriate tree model. But we also want the transition to be smooth and thus we have specific requirements on the model, so we didn't actively follow this path yet.
Ultimately a tree generator or a tool will generate all required detail stages - models at various levels of detail and billboards for distant trees.

Anyways, the update was definitatly worth the wait!  I am excited to use the road tool!  Will the road tool be in the demo?
Yes the roads will be there, at least in its current form. Maybe some UI for setting road types and markings will make it too.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 02:42:31 pm »

Quote from: RaikoRaufoss
A question just occurred to me: Is there any way that roads can be inserted into the terrain via the already existing connection with Google Maps?
Yes, there are already functions in the engine to insert waypoints by latitude/longitude. The only thing needed is to code some JavaScript that will call the engine functions.

Abc94

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 03:10:40 pm »

Wow, thanks for the fast responce!

Glad to know that all trees won't be "billboards"! :P  It makes sence that it's the only way to do it.  And if there happens to be billboard trees in the demo, I will be ok with that. :)

And I am glad to hear roads will be in the demo as well.  Lots of potential already!  :D
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

RaikoRaufoss

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 03:12:29 pm »

This is only getting better!  How much longer before we get 3D animated characters?
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
Karel Janoušek
So be our guide

angrypig

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 03:34:48 pm »

Quote from: RaikoRaufoss
This is only getting better!  How much longer before we get 3D animated characters?

Hard to say when but they are definitely in my plan. I already have character/animation system in old engine but Outerra deserves something better. :)

RaikoRaufoss

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 03:39:08 pm »

Quote from: angrypig
Hard to say when but they are definitely in my plan. I already have character/animation system in old engine but Outerra deserves something better. :)
Yes, Outerra deserves better.  Glad to hear we'll get animated characters. =D
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
Karel Janoušek
So be our guide

Dunlop

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 02:04:01 pm »

Being only billboards these trees seem to work very well. Are they generated somehow or are they just prepainted images? Anyway if you can make 3d models that match these trees exactly and then replace the foreground trees to models with really smooth transition, then it will be godly. :)

The current road type seems to be too perfect, some bumps and visual imperfections are welcome so the Tatra will be of use.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 02:25:23 pm »

Quote from: Dunlop
Being only billboards these trees seem to work very well. Are they generated somehow or are they just prepainted images? Anyway if you can make 3d models that match these trees exactly and then replace the foreground trees to models with really smooth transition, then it will be godly. :)
It's actually just one image of an Austrian pine, but it's being randomly colorized and sized. It will be easy to generate the billboards from models, but the transition must work from any angle too, and that's the complication.

Quote from: Dunlop
The current road type seems to be too perfect, some bumps and visual imperfections are welcome so the Tatra will be of use.
Two things that will help - using fractals to generate cracks and patches on normal roads, and then additional road profiles. The profiles that define the desired "exactness" of computed surface elevation across road width. This way there could be forest roads with tracks after wheels, and the road overlay won't be able to eradicate protruding rocks entirely.

andrej

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 07:59:01 am »

Suggestion: make a full center line in case of dangerous road.

DieGrotgedrogte

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 08:31:40 am »

It's only getting better. Good job.

maxter

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 07:09:06 am »

I look forward to Angrypig's video with the air strips.  :)

If you are going to give us the ability to create airstrips, then we really really need to have airstrips/runways that will have multiple elevation points along their length.

This looks wonderful (the roads)
Pages: [1] 2