Outerra Engine > News

Integrating Vector Data - Roads

(1/5) > >>

cameni:
New update on integration of vector data, specifically the roads, can be seen here:

http://outerra.blogspot.com/2010/05/integrating-vector-data-roads.html

RaikoRaufoss:
Looks amazing!  It's only getting better!

Abc94:
Roads look great!  I really like the terrain deformation when the roads are placed.  I am going to make one of the images my desktop!  :D

I look forward to Angrypig's video with the air strips.  :)

I have a question though.  In the video, it looked like the trees were just one image being rotated to the view angle.

I'm just seeing things right?  Or is this just kind of like a placeholder until different trees are implemented?  :|

Anyways, the update was definitatly worth the wait!  I am excited to use the road tool!  Will the road tool be in the demo?

RaikoRaufoss:
A question just occurred to me: Is there any way that roads can be inserted into the terrain via the already existing connection with Google Maps?

cameni:

--- Quote from: Abc94 ---I have a question though.  In the video, it looked like the trees were just one image being rotated to the view angle.
I'm just seeing things right?  Or is this just kind of like a placeholder until different trees are implemented?  :|
--- End quote ---
Yes the trees are billboards, it wouldn't be possible to draw so many of them otherwise. But you are also right that there will be different trees - trees close to the camera will smoothly switch to models. It could be done even now, if we had an appropriate tree model. But we also want the transition to be smooth and thus we have specific requirements on the model, so we didn't actively follow this path yet.
Ultimately a tree generator or a tool will generate all required detail stages - models at various levels of detail and billboards for distant trees.

--- Quote from: Abc94 ---Anyways, the update was definitatly worth the wait!  I am excited to use the road tool!  Will the road tool be in the demo?
--- End quote ---
Yes the roads will be there, at least in its current form. Maybe some UI for setting road types and markings will make it too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version