Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Integrating Vector Data - Roads  (Read 49455 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Integrating Vector Data - Roads
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 09:41:17 am »

That's no problem, runways are just a form of roads and the roads obviously copy the terrain. Only for runways it has to follow a coarser terrain resolution in order to filter out smaller unevennesses.

Vicious713

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 12:53:43 pm »

Say, will their be a road variant that has red and white rumble strip curbs as featured on race courses? It'd be great stuff to see something like the Nurburgring in Outerra? I wonder what kinda lap time the Tatra could make, haha.
3d Modeler, Sketch Artist and Level Designer

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 01:01:57 pm »

Vector data that define road segments also contain several flags and attributes determining various road properties; painting as well. I just have to come up with a universal system where all the types can be defined, for now the types are just hardcoded in.

maxter

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 05:01:08 am »

One question, can you set a parameter for a maximum inclination for the roads so that when you lay it out, you wont necessarily get the road following terrain un-naturally and there will be more cuttings and fills.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2011, 05:15:42 am »

At the moment there's no such constraint, although you can adjust elevation of individual nodes so that it does not follow the terrain exactly.

A parameter like that will be added there, perhaps not only to guard the local inclination but also being able to use a coarser detail level as the basis for node positioning. It should also better filter out the changes in elevation, leading to smoother roads.

kcgb

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 02:12:25 am »

Will there be other road texture, like for asphalt, concrete, tarmac or even patches in the roads and will there be potholes :D  Good fun dodging potholes :rolleyes:

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 03:12:13 am »

Road texture is associated with road type, and a fractal is modifying it as well. There will be multiple road types.

Fractals will be also used to deteriorate the road surface, with cracks and patches appearing. This could be gradual all the way to a complete disintegration of the road with vegetation overgrowing it in time.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2011, 04:13:22 am »

I imagine the deteriorated surfaces would be the norm of road left from before the return of man.
Like this http://lh6.ggpht.com/_AgpoqapWxFw/RlBugNrxvGI/AAAAAAAAAY8/BUfry07kUhQ/0213+Didyma+Sacred+Road.jpg

Could the roads have marking on them indicating turns approaching and ... stuff. http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/8/24/128956131897538126.jpg

Also would Signage be manual or could it be integrated into the road builder. http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/78133/turn-the-road.jpg

Mile markers for one http://www.upstatenyroads.com/submit/region-8/17-mile-marker.jpg
I guess Kilometer markers if its the future.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2011, 08:47:48 am »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
I imagine the deteriorated surfaces would be the norm of road left from before the return of man.
That quite depends on for how long it was left unmaintained. But the decay will be pretty quick. There's a documentary series Life After People that tries to show how it would go if people disappeared from the world.

Automatic generation of markings/signage. I can imagine it could be automatic, but I'd leave it to someone toying with it and writing a script for it.

Mile markers. I guess Kilometer markers if its the future.
These probably should be automatic.
Though I don't think you'll switch to metric units anytime soon :)
Pages: 1 [2]