Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: A Question About Trees  (Read 8238 times)

Jagerbomber

A Question About Trees
« on: December 20, 2011, 01:58:10 pm »

This isn't about what they'll look like, but where they'll be placed.  I'm assuming they eventually won't only just be on the hills and slopes.  Will they be everywhere (not including environments like deserts etc)? or will there be artificially generated (or.. not generated  :P) clearings?  Will tree density (and artificial clearings etc) be only done by climate (with randomized density and clearings specific to that climate) or is there tree data more specific than just climates that you'll use?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 02:00:52 pm by Jagerbomber »
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

Kridian

Re: A Question About Trees
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 09:12:05 pm »

And speaking of trees, I found this today from Game Dev  Incredible lighting!

Jagerbomber

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 10:11:32 pm »

Hehe, I already posted that.  ;)
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

Kridian

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 11:34:43 pm »

Hehe, I already posted that.  ;)
Oh! What thread?  :o

Jagerbomber

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 01:05:24 am »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 01:28:10 am »

This isn't about what they'll look like, but where they'll be placed.  I'm assuming they eventually won't only just be on the hills and slopes.  Will they be everywhere (not including environments like deserts etc)? or will there be artificially generated (or.. not generated  :P) clearings?  Will tree density (and artificial clearings etc) be only done by climate (with randomized density and clearings specific to that climate) or is there tree data more specific than just climates that you'll use?
We are going to use world vegetation masks that are available in ~500m resolution to determine the initial probabilities of tree occurrences. Atop of it there go the local probability rules that are there now; these are already using fractal modulation that makes some clearings, though it has to be tuned better. The local rules will also take other factors into account, like proximity to water.