Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Transparency  (Read 19892 times)

angrypig

Transparency
« on: November 26, 2009, 06:13:56 am »

I finally managed to add transparency into engine. A day behind the plan but that cannot stop me. :) The next task is the material shader. I need to add normal maps and a few types of lighting models (like a plastic/metal/organic) and an environment map of course.

Cessna cockpit has quite a high resolution; the indicators should become alive soon. We need to add some dirtiness to glass because it looks too perfect...

Views from the outside. Propeller is already turning, but there's no motion blur on it yet. Transparency works too but there's a bug in the model.

Approximately 3,900 feet above the ground.

Mount Etna in the background.

Gaz 66 truck ..

.. and a fleet of them.

Dunlop

Transparency
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 08:46:54 am »

Beautiful. Thanks for these pics. The Cessna model and the general ability to render 3D objects seems to be very good. So I will just concentrate to nitpick about the scenery. ;)

Its easy to spot the most obvious enviromental things still missing:
1. Water, sea, lakes & rivers.
2. Clouds, any plans for these? Volymetrics perhaps?
3. The amount of atmospheric haze. Looks like a very clear day to me.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Transparency
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 09:42:56 am »

Quote from: Dunlop
Its easy to spot the most obvious enviromental things still missing:
1. Water, sea, lakes & rivers.
2. Clouds, any plans for these? Volymetrics perhaps?
3. The amount of atmospheric haze. Looks like a very clear day to me.
Yup, these are on me :)
Sea is rendered but currently only as a simple flat surface with refraction, no waves yet. Rivers will come after we implement processing and indexing of vector data, the same stuff that will be also used for roads.
Clouds - we will probably integrate SimulWeather into the engine. This would also fix the atmosphere, but we'll probably touch the current implementation earlier than that. Visibility is currently limited only by Earth's curvature, which is ~320km from altitude 8km (actually even more if there are some mountains behind the horizon), but the weak haze hurts the perceived distance.

Dunlop

Transparency
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 12:15:35 pm »

Quote from: cameni
Rivers will come after we implement processing and indexing of vector data, the same stuff that will be also used for roads.
Clouds - we will probably integrate SimulWeather into the engine.

Is there a ready dataset of rivers and roads in vector format, or are you going to some how generate your own? I remember that FSX had a huge dataset with most of the roads in the world, I dont how they got it in the first place.

SimulWeather has nice looks, and they seem to promise low requirements. I hope you can integrate it with low impact on performance. Now I cant wait to test their demo with my newer PC...

angrypig

Transparency
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 04:22:08 pm »

Quote from: Dunlop
Quote from: cameni
Rivers will come after we implement processing and indexing of vector data, the same stuff that will be also used for roads.
Clouds - we will probably integrate SimulWeather into the engine.

Is there a ready dataset of rivers and roads in vector format, or are you going to some how generate your own? I remember that FSX had a huge dataset with most of the roads in the world, I dont how they got it in the first place.

SimulWeather has nice looks, and they seem to promise low requirements. I hope you can integrate it with low impact on performance. Now I cant wait to test their demo with my newer PC...

Yes there is one nice universal dataset and its name is  OpenStreetMap. There is a lot of information in there but not everything. Small streams are missing, for example. These we want to generate in the future by analyzing terrain data.

helio2

Transparency
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 03:21:08 am »

Everything looks great so far.
I do agree that distances in the scenery do look short becasue there is not a lot of atmosphere haze below to show the vast distances of the mountains. Also the forrest look absolutely stunning in my opinion.
The plane's textures look superb!
Outerra needs a Planet size modifier.   < nuff said!