Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Since Bullet Physics are used. Is this stuff possible?  (Read 8032 times)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Since Bullet Physics are used. Is this stuff possible?
« on: January 20, 2012, 04:11:51 am »

and

I know you have TONS of other things on your plate. But if bullet physics are what is used, what would you need to do to have a 1:1 scale demo like above rendered ingame?

I assume none of these demo's are real-time. But it would still be fun to watch take place in Outerra while you raced away from the collapse. Even at 1/50th speed.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Since Bullet Physics are used. Is this stuff possible?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 09:48:22 am »

Yes, it will be possible. With regards to Bullet, we basically just added our custom collision checker that detects the collisions vs. OT terrain. Everything else in Bullet is then using this.

However, to make it effective we need to provide also a fast way of finding the potential collision objects. We can't just throw at it all the objects contained within the world, physics libraries aren't designed to cope with the scale. Fortunately, Bullet can be extended in this regard, and it will be able to use our existing spatial index to speedup this phase.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 02:16:01 pm »

Wow, that looks pretty damn realistic.  I've always thought games that have used Havoc or whatever Valve/Source games used looked a bit too floaty.  (Though of course I'm guessing the dev can tweak it to their liking.)
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 11:04:12 pm »

Nothing in your response was a disappointing. I think this sort of demo will be a HUGE selling point of the engine. Too many games have half ass physics. Once the vehicles are brought into line with realism the object handling will complete the insanity.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Spudly

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 03:50:35 pm »

One thing that's nice to note is Outerra leaves the vast majority of the CPU power open, so anything that you can do using their samples, would work at the same speed, if not faster.  Download bullet and give it a try, I didn't find it too difficult to make dismemberable walking ragdolls with Visual Studio C++ Express and I don't have barely any coding experience.  Now attaching that to a body mesh is a whole different story.

Köngen

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 10:01:40 am »

This brings up a question in my mind. How exactly would the state of all these individual physical bodies be stored around the planet? Is there some effective way of storing data for such high amounts of dynamic objects at once?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 11:06:14 am »

World would need to be parceled into zones and handled by several servers for such complete mode. But there are some other possibilities, for example doing P2P synchronization - dynamically connecting clients into a peer network when they are close to each other. It quite depends on the type of the game.