Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Persistent World  (Read 8045 times)

Gecko6

Persistent World
« on: May 28, 2010, 12:55:54 pm »

Hello all,

First off great work!

My vision is a World that has hooks for developers to build clients for based on a definitive library of stats.

For example:

A 120 mm main gun round from a Leopard 2A6 tank will be called out of the library for trajectory calculations and applied to the worlds air data. Weather, TOD, and LOS will have serious affect on the round.

Flight models will be uploaded from the "world" and based on developers client credentials for determining if the user is flying a SR-71 or a C-172.

This way it does not matter if your using a console game system or a power house game rig!

You can have countries that are "At War" for us combat pilots, and the rest are commercial and civilian flight.

Simulation clients could range from;

Racing Circuit
Farming
Sims Type of Game
Virtual Travel and events
Space based SCIFI stuff
Boating
Scuba Diving if at all possible (Shipwrecks)

The key is to allow the Developers build it and you all control the dynamics and the Persistent World. Be it Earth or some knock off.

I would like to see the Earth as is and allow the US developers build the USA, Germany built by Germans etc...

Hell even license off each continent.

There is nothing saying that you cannot host a Fantasy Based World and allow RPG developers to go to town.

I hope I have communicated my vision clearly enough.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Persistent World
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 01:32:55 pm »

Welcome,

Well this is actually pretty old vision of ours too since when we got together. It's still just a vision though - army of devils is in the implementation details.

But our idea is slightly different - instead of making multiple clients we would make a plugin architecture where specialized simulators could be written by other parties, handling physics and systems simulation. It should then be possible to use a specific simulator plugin with an appropriate vehicle or device, while for other players the machine behaves like a black-box controlled by its internal forces propagated over the network so that everybody doesn't have to have all the plugins but the behavior is in sync.

And this way there could be just one client that handles the world&object rendering, as this will be the common part anyway.

It would be the real Earth, but I'd like to have different "realms" that contain theme-specific settings and assets. I don't think fantasy or sci-fi setting should mix with the real one, and there even could be multiple real ones from different ages. Or different games could use their own specific realm initially derived from a basic one but changing in the course of the game.

Gecko6

Persistent World
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 06:09:38 pm »

Well I guess it is true what they say. "Great Minds think alike." : )

I like your schema also. My focus was on preventing or limiting hacking of the client code and making unrealistic flight models or heat seeking sniper rounds.