Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Power Rangers-My Best and Worst Series  (Read 16556 times)

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
Power Rangers-My Best and Worst Series
« on: January 30, 2012, 12:55:29 am »

I got a late start at watching Power Rangers, but I've watched a fair deal of it now (though not much before Wild Force), and I've already determined my best and my worst seasons of it.  These are my opinions, feel free to disagree is any of you wish.  Here we go:

Best season: Dino Thunder (2004)

Pure amazing homage to Mighty Morphin Power Rangers from beginning to end.  Toned down camp, nice homages to the original series, great job from all of the actors, great character development for most of the characters (especially Conner), a terrifying villain, spectacular Megazord action, the return of an original Power Ranger, and a great ending.  All you ever wanted, and more.

Worst season that can burn in hell: RPM (2009)

People keep gushing over this, calling it "realistic" and "dark"; these are the only reasons they like it, because "dark" is in vogue right now.  Being "dark" doesn't make any work of fiction automatically good.  It's a shit stain on the entire franchise, and could have killed it the way Star Trek V almost killed Star Trek.  I've managed to watch the intro, the first 2 minutes of episode 3, the Ultrazord finisher, and 4 minutes of the season ending, and from these and other sources, I've created the Top 9 Reasons Why Power Rangers RPM Sucks More Ass than 100 Toilet Seats (here's to you, you anonymous YouTuber who said that, wherever you are):

1: Excessive violence.  You'll wonder how it was ever rated Y7FV.
2: Pessimistic, overused plot.  Pessimistic (overused plot element) story about a last group of humans (overused plot element) fighting a last battle on earth (overused plot element) against a computer virus (overused plot element) spawning armies of robots (overused plot element) which adapt after every battle (ripoff the Borg, will you!?).  Which brings me to:
3: Generic, cardboard cut-out villain that could have come straight from Star Trek TOS.  No personality, no frightening presence like Mesogog, just a cardboard cut-out computer virus.  If this hasn't already happened in Star Trek, it could have.  RPM also violates the rule "show, don't tell" with regard to the villains, as we don't see how they got to conquer most of earth or how tough they are.  Dino Thunder showed us the frightening awesomeness of Mesogog, gave us some hints of his power before he owned Lothor in "Thunder Storm, Part II", then had him really get powerful after he split from Anton Mercer.
4: Bad special effects for anything other than the Zord attacks and finishers-we'll get to that soon.
5: ZORDS THAT LOOK LIKE TOYS.  Blame this on reuse of Super Sentai footage all you want-the marketing ploy is obvious and desperate.
6: Ripping off previous PR seasons.  Venjix is just a reuse of General Venjix from the Red Ranger special "Forever Red", the Dillon/Tenaya 7 story is a ripoff of the Andros/Karone story from In Space, and the Ultrazord finisher rips off both the SPD Blaster Confinement Mode and a finisher involving the Armadillo Zord from Wild Force.
7: Bad Megazord attacks and finishers.  The Megazords are far too dependent on flashy CG of their attacks, and the end result is that the original MMPR Megazord, which has less mobility than Darth Vader, has more thrilling attacks and finishers.  Let alone Dino Thunder's Thundersaurus Megazord, which delivers spectacular attacks from beginning to end.  When the Dino Drill spins up, the monster is as good as dead, and you will believe that Megazords with no wings can fly.
8: Shaky camera work for the fight scenes.  And I thought the shaky camera from the fight scenes in Batman Begins was confusing.
9: THE THEME SONG.  It rapes the ears.  Enough said.

There are more and even worse objections, and it's so bad that people have questioned whether or not the Disney PR seasons can be considered canon.

What are your best and worst seasons of Power Rangers?
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

Jagerbomber

Re: Power Rangers-My Best and Worst Series
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 01:25:23 am »

1993?  Ha.  I was born in 1990.  I don't think I ever liked the power rangers all that much even though I had a red ranger action figure somehow for some reason.  I think I was good about not liking crazy/stupid ridiculous kids shows (not including EEnE haha) for example Ren and Stimpy wasn't my cup of tea at all and I always hated Spongebob (I was too old for Spongebob anyways.  I was always aware that Rocko's Modern Life was a f-ed up show, though I sometimes watched it anyways.  Isn't there an episode that was about a cannibal butcher or something and I think Courage the Cowardly Dog might have done the same thing?  lol I kind of actually liked watching that show because of the way it would often scare the crap outta me.  :P

ANYWAYS... Rambling lol.  Back to Power Rangers.  I don't remember all that much about the old Power Rangers other than the crazy loud evil lady, the stupid combat scenes with her minions, giant combat robot, a robot guy with a saucer head, and the holographic head.  I'm pretty sure that was the entire old show anyways.  ;D  I do somewhat remember watching the first ever episode a hell of a lot though, I'm guessing because it was on TV a lot, though I might have had a tape. idk I DON'T REMEMBER. Haha.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

Matt6767

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 01:42:50 am »

Ive only seen the 90s PR as a kid. I didn't remember any of it until Jager refreshed my memory. The giant robots were cool, and just now I think I remember an episode of the evil lady eating pizza XD. I'll just assume the seasons following that one were not as good.

By the way, Courage the cowardly dog and EEnE would be in my top 5.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 01:44:22 am by Matt6767 »

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 11:15:57 am »

I didn't watch Courage the Cowardly Dog until much later, and I liked it a lot.  Rocko's Modern Life wasn't bad, but I preferred The Angry Beavers.  And yeah, Rita Repulsa, the original PR villain, had to be stopped because she was so irritating.  I know this because in my area, ABC cut RPM short and started airing remastered versions of MMPR.  MMPR wasn't bad, but I get the feeling that you had to have watched it when you were young to really appreciate it, and I've noticed that a lot of people have nostalgia for it.  What's EEnE?

The whole question of Power Rangers canon is a bit tricky, since the continuity reset button was hit after In Space.  At the end of In Space, Zordon sacrificed himself to destroy all evil in the galaxy, thus ending the need for any more Power Rangers series (in this galaxy, anyway).  I have my own theory that does away with having to hit the continuity reset button: evil forces recognized the danger Zordon's sacrifice would pose and found a way to counteract the energy wave.  Since Zordon is already effectively dead, there's no way he could have warned the Rangers that his attempt to rid the galaxy of evil failed.

If some of the Disney seasons have to be declared non-canon, throw out everything after Mystic Force.  Everything through that was either average (Ninja Storm, Mystic Force), above average (SPD), or unbelievable (Dino Thunder).  Everything after that was dull shit (Operation Overdrive), a mixed bag (Jungle Fury), or irredeemable shit (RPM).  Come to think of it, I would be happy if Power Rangers Samurai was declared non-canon due to terrible acting (watch "Day Off", it has the worst overacting since Batman and Robin), having nothing to do with samurai, no character development to speak of, and its ripoffs of previous PR seasons ("There Go The Brides" is a rehash of the Wild Force episode "Three's Company").  Hell, they even brought back Bulk, but gave him terrible lines and utterly misused him.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

Jagerbomber

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 04:23:06 pm »

Ed Edd n Eddy

I didn't like Angry Beavers... at all.  Never thought it was funny.  I remember trying to suffer through watching it because nothing else was on at that time slot until eventually I couldn't take it anymore and actually stopped trying to watch TV at that time haha.  I didn't really like CatDog either though it was slightly better than Angry Beavers.

For Nickelodeon of course I liked the Rugrats though it got boring as I got older.  I actually really really liked Wild Thornberrys, but Rocket Power and even As Told by Ginger to a lesser extent.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P