Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New road maker  (Read 26037 times)

angrypig

New road maker
« on: February 01, 2012, 11:42:04 am »

Hi guys, as promised here is the video with updated road tool. Main changes are in mouse control, way point selection and window redesign. There are a few minor bugs, like that the slant angle not being updated when the way point is changed, but these are just minor issues.

[deleted]

Re: New road maker
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 12:15:41 pm »

I want it released now omg !!!!!! xD

mctash

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 12:24:33 pm »

I second that thought Secret :) but on topic that is looking really cool! I am a little confused as to what is getting released. Is it a beta of Anteworld? If so, will it be possible to jump in to that little plane I keep seeing in videos and go for a fly first person style?

McTash

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 01:34:13 pm »

That's the tech demo.  The game alpha/beta will be released alongside it, or shortly thereafter.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

mctash

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 01:39:18 pm »

Sweet! Thanks for the info!

Jagerbomber

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 08:54:09 pm »

Now this is what I've been waiting for!  ;D (and hopefully I'll be able to actually see roads now haha)  Almost time for a hell of a lot of fine tuning.  8)

Any chance there's been improvements to working with pads?
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 11:26:48 pm »

This is going on a bunch of Race Sim Places as well.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 03:46:23 am »

Really nice ! ...  just a thought:  - Wil there by able to hotkey the width manipulation? Lets say, you hold the needed key (W-road width, B-border, T-transtional ... | And change its magnitude whyte the mouse wheel ? ... would be a time-shorter.
                                                - Is there a way to find out exact distances between two points ? Saying, where is A, B you clic off and it pops-up the distance. (like between certain mountains, roads, objects ... |
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 04:11:15 am »

Now this is what I've been waiting for!  ;D (and hopefully I'll be able to actually see roads now haha)  Almost time for a hell of a lot of fine tuning.  8)

What kind of improvements would you like to see?
Actually, at the moment the pad editor is disabled, as it's in the middle of transition to new ui backend system. Also, I'll be integrating it into the road editor, as the pads are actually pieces of roads.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 04:18:27 am »

Wil there by able to hotkey the width manipulation? Lets say, you hold the needed key (W-road width, B-border, T-transtional ... | And change its magnitude whyte the mouse wheel ? ... would be a time-shorter.
Could be added ..

Is there a way to find out exact distances between two points ? Saying, where is A, B you clic off and it pops-up the distance. (like between certain mountains, roads, objects ...
Not yet, but a measuring tool could go into a common toolbar for all the tools, that will contain some status info and buttons for move, rotate, lock height operations.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 01:52:01 pm »

What kind of improvements would you like to see?
Actually, at the moment the pad editor is disabled, as it's in the middle of transition to new ui backend system. Also, I'll be integrating it into the road editor, as the pads are actually pieces of roads.

Oh um... Well I was going to try to see how well they could be used to make intersections look more like intersections (more rounded I guess), but I guess that's not really what they're for is it?  :P 

I guess I could try giving one road in the intersection 4 waypoints by the intersection - 2 about where it touches the other road and 2 a little further outwards - make the 2 inside ones wider and overlap a bit of the wide area with the intersecting road, which will also be adjusted to line up properly.  I'm kind of thinking this would bug out or look a bit weird though with the current curve and overlapping flaws or whatever.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 02:36:34 pm »

Actually that's what I have used them for, for example the connection between the apron and runway in Lukla. But not all of the options are exposed in the UI yet, I was generating it programmatically.

It will go into the road tool - an option to snap road to another one, creating rounded intersections, matching the height and slope and all.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 02:56:33 pm »

Could there be an option to adjust the curve of each of the corners?

And snapping isn't gonna mess up angled roads is it?

Also, what about 5-way intersections?  (and lol the 5-way intersection in my town was turned into a rotary this past year)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 03:03:11 pm by Jagerbomber »

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 03:04:51 pm »

There is so much potential in the road editor alone!

Here for example there could be a setting that when doing a "mountain road" the editor could automatically scan the slope to the side of the road and put down or actually Pop up concrete guards right out of the terrain itself, like here on the Targa Florio, if the slope was steep enough.

http://bit.ly/Azy1mA
(see left side in black and white pillars)

EDIT.. Rewatching I think the editor could even do a retaining wall like that if the slope was so much on the opposite side that it would be required. Cutting into more than 4-5 feet of dirt VS Mountain rock would also influence it.

Then once some sort of terrain damage is implemented crashing into a pillar or wall could deform it or remove it and it would stay like that forever.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 03:11:04 pm by ZeosPantera »
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 03:28:11 pm »

Could there be an option to adjust the curve of each of the corners?
On the connecting pad? Technically yes, but it's not available there directly as two independent parameters. It can be achieved by adjusting two other properties - position and width of the invisible control points that are created at the road/pad ends.

And snapping isn't gonna mess up angled roads is it?
There are some limits - it's not possible to connect the roads seamlessly in all cases, for example when the road is curved vertically. Another thing is the available resolution for slant, when connecting to angled roads ...

Also, what about 5-way intersections?  (and lol the 5-way intersection in my town was turned into a rotary this past year)
What does it look like?
Pages: [1] 2