Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New road maker  (Read 25968 times)

Jagerbomber

Re: New road maker
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 09:05:47 pm »

What do you mean?  It's an intersection where 5 roads meet.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 09:56:15 pm »

I think this is what he is speaking of. I think something like this would need to be done with some human intervention.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 01:43:14 am »

Yes, I wanted to see how it looked like .. yea, there are several of these here as well, just nobody refers to them as 5-way intersections, I don't know what I was expecting :)

Hmm, I think it can be done using several smaller connecting roads. But we'll need to add a separate vector-based marking overlay.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 02:46:19 am »

Can there be an road enhancement, I mean, the posability of getting an sidewalk (lets say, just as an YES/NO option, in witch after enabling, another tool for its width and height that apeares (does not need, but would be nice to hawe ewen an option if it is on left/right/both sides) and it would be waypoint-pinned, so if the next has not enabed sidewalks, there will be an nice break of it) and an option for bridges (another height - center height, that would automatically (after passing an 0,5 m or more/less height) or trough another YES/NO option make an "clasic highway" pillar bridge), or will you do this trough the object-adding utility, where just the ending points will be fitted to the road ends (to make the comunity and editors a free hand to make their bridges of interest/modelling) ?
Actually, procedurals CityEngine has the "highway" capability, but, there is not much variabilities of bridges there, so the modding and modelling option is an lucrative one from my point of view. (true, manipulation is then an problem, when you must edit the object in Max/Blender ..)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 02:59:50 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 03:02:46 am »

We called the only one in our town "5 corners" but I thought 5-way intersection was more descriptive....... IDK!  What the heck do you guys call them? ??? Haha.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012, 03:13:42 am »

The big ones often have their own names, or else by the streets they join.

Black Phoenix

• Black Phoenix's Brain Blog
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 03:59:27 am »

Can you please add a way to specify road damage and damage type (holes in road due to thin asphalt layer, irregular road thickness, and wave-like structures over road due to invalid underlay)?

Because I'm sure you all guys have flat roads in your countries, but cars sometimes fall inside these holes in our country. Although more often it's just... bumpy.

Köngen

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2012, 06:16:38 pm »

O-my-gawd

That road editor is EPIC :D

That whole border business looks totally awesome. I guess there will be some very detailed geometry going on there :D

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 03:42:30 am »

Because I'm sure you all guys have flat roads in your countries, but cars sometimes fall inside these holes in our country. Although more often it's just... bumpy.

I would think twice about the existence of flat roads in our country too ... well, maybe under 5 %. :P ... Would be really nice doe to have various road qualities.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

FsTheo

• OldFlightSimmer
    • Dutchfs.com
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 02:17:32 pm »

but cars sometimes fall inside these holes in our country.
Click?

Theo ;D

Jagerbomber

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2012, 03:41:03 pm »

lol I remember that.  Not usually that bad here though. XD

PRiME

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 12:30:09 am »

Good to see no1 died over that sink-hole... Imagine driving a car unknowingly into that hole, mega life flashback moment.... LOL

I hope these betas/games etc allow for importing cars and other models etc... Be nice to get a racing sim going, I can see this looking allot better then many racing sims out there given the available scenery scope and flexibility of creating roads.

Rockcabbage

• "I broke the Earth..." "Don't alt-tab."
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2012, 08:34:07 pm »

Any way or possibility of integrating Google Maps' roads with the terrain generator, so y'all can get all main roads and highways down?

PRiME

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2012, 09:45:37 pm »

They would need to decide on a road layer format. Not sure what google maps use but I doubt you can just rob it straight from them and put it in a commercial product like that.

It might be good if they could support the road layer file formats for variety of GIS programs around so users can just snatch the road data and put it in themselves and it can be classified as community content and likely avoid any legal issues for Anteworld title.

PS. I think I have the road data for entire NZ laying around somewhere.
Pages: 1 [2]