Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Space vehicles  (Read 29781 times)

ITman496

Re: Space vehicles
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 04:34:54 am »

Okay, I've made a new one. I started at 3:00pm today, ended around 4:00 am.

Its based off of a ford explorer.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 06:23:07 pm »

That shape looks scary similar to some of Ratchet's spaceships.  ;)  (Can't find a pic of the one I'm thinking of.)  Then again also Star Fox and many others I guess.

Nice work though.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 06:24:41 pm by Jagerbomber »
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ITman496

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 06:24:46 pm »

That's the whole idea, lol.

If you notice, if you go to the full pic, that's Lombax writing on the license plate. XD

My ship style is based heavily on Aphelion, from Ratchet and Clank on the PS3.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 12:09:51 am »

I knew it!  ;D
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ITman496

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 04:10:23 am »

xD  yeah.. darn. you've found me out.

DarkDXZ

• Exception within exception...EXCEPTION!
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 01:54:47 pm »

Instant thought: Batmobile...
Yea.
"The Pope? How many divisions has he got?" - Joseph Stalin

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 02:15:29 pm »

Here ITman.. Take some inspiration from this..

It is retro, tough and just awesome. Like a muscle car for the skies. It takes that WWII fighter concept and says screw you aerodynamics and looks up-armored and UUUGGGGHHHHH....

Do a B52 with similar style queue's.

and I will buy you a birthday cake.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

NIN3

• 1+1=2+1=3+2=5+3=7+5=12
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2012, 11:19:21 pm »

These look very good. Wish I could model like you! (what program you using?)
^^^^
Ignore the above, its probably wrong, dumb, or both.

PTTG

• The following post is procedurally generated:
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 05:32:32 pm »

At least one of those looks rather warhammeresque...

tuxmaster

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2012, 02:15:55 am »

ITMan496 great work. I Like your models. My fav the first one you posted spectral. Looks bad ass.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 02:18:34 am by tuxmaster »

Midas

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2012, 02:30:45 pm »

Would love to just cruise around in the first one!!! Can you show us the enterior as well? :D

Kviki

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2012, 07:31:12 am »

My dream is to fly the Intrepid class starship in outerra. :)

MattRob

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2012, 11:23:56 pm »

I'm sure I can make something less sleek.  I'll try later.

Mind if I try my hand at some concept art?

I'm not artist, but I do have lots of knowledge in the field of aerospace engineering. It's from a real-world design perspective, maybe artists will roll their eyes at this, but James Cameron decided to go with realism and made some really beautiful ships! Just check out the Interstellar "Venture Star"!!!
(ISV - InterStellar Vehicle)

In the show, the Venture Star is near it's destination. For the interstellar flight out, it carries 3 whipple shields. Tiny dust particles are strewn through space - the chance of hitting one is a great risk, at .7c, or 70% the speed of light, a single gram of material has about 30 megatons of kinetic energy! Luckily, the micrometeorites that far into space will be much smaller than that, but you get why those are there. Whipple shields don't really "stop" projectiles, but they rob a tremendous amount of it's energy, while scattering it everywhere into tiny pieces, and at those speeds, it should vaporize any micrometeorites.

Here's it with those 3 shields, and check out the other images in the gallery - BEAUTIFUL!

Link to gallery: http://www.benprocter.com/avatar/vehicles/8071348

The Venture Star carried 2, also designed by realism, shuttles. Here's a shot of those (they're in some of the earlier pictures docked or undocking) :
(TAV - Trans-Atmospheric Vehicle)

Here's a page that nicely explains all the bits and bobs on how Avatar's Venture Star works: http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/realdesigns.php#id--Avatar_ISV_Venture_Star

EDIT: I decided to re-read that part, and it nicely mentioned that the typical interstellar dust particle is roughly 4 x 10-6, or 0.04 miligrams. At .7c, that delivers the punch of about four anti-tank mines, compressed into a spot about the size of a pinhead.

Really, it doesn't matter what the micrometeorite hits. Hitting anything with that force will release enough energy vaporize it, so mission accomplished.

But you'll want to put those whipple shields a good distance out - you want the gas to have time to expand before hitting non-armored stuff, because a tiny speck of compressed gas will hit about as hard as a solid object at these kinds of speeds. How fast will it expand? I have no idea. I'll run the math later and come back and edit this post.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 11:37:05 pm by MattRob »
Pages: 1 [2]