Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Road Making/Un-making  (Read 8924 times)

Mikel_S

Road Making/Un-making
« on: February 27, 2012, 10:32:29 pm »

Hi, I was just futzing around with the road tool in the mountains near the default load point.  Testing out making cliffside roads, getting used to making nice even curves, all that whatnotery.

Anyway, I have two questions.
1) Can I move an existing point, to either smooth out a long curve or straighten a wibbly segment of should-be straight road?

2) Can I delete ONLY back to a certain segment?  I accidentally told the road to do a barrel-roll, and it ripped itself apart on the cosmic level, and now it looks terrible.  But the unmake option just undoes the ENTIRE road, now several miles long.

On another note, first post here, and I was so excited when I saw the update on Moddb, I've been following it there since it showed up on the site.  It's amazing.

jsoobob

• Handsome Suit
Re: Road Making/Un-making
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 02:19:06 am »

Well, I think I may know the answer to your first question.
If you left-click the point you want to move then press m to move it then left-click again when it is where you want it you should be able to arrange things how you want them. After that just click make again and you should be in business.
Hope I've helped.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 02:34:33 am »

Yes, and other usable controls are documented in the help tab of the road tool.

As for the second question - you can't yet delete/add specific nodes, but the problem you have can be solved by moving the nodes around, arranging them properly.

Mikel_S

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 01:06:18 pm »

Thanks for that!  One more question, that I'll probably find out when I try it in a moment.  When I move a road, will it retain it's current height, or remap to the natural surroundings.

Oh, also, is it possible to move the height of a road more than 2 meters at a time?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 01:15:40 pm »

m will adapt the height to the terrain
shift+m will put you into a horizontal move mode just as m would, except that it will lock the height to the original one when moving
v will start the vertical move mode, where you adjust the height with mouse and commit by left mouse button click.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 01:19:40 pm by cameni »

Mikel_S

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 02:00:40 pm »

I don't know why, but there was a mental block between me and the help tab of the Road tool.

Okay, thanks for all the info.  But...  one more thing, and I'm PRETTY SURE I'm not missing a help tab this time...  How do I get out of vehicle mode without quitting and restarting?

SpaceFlight

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 02:05:35 pm »

How do I get out of vehicle mode without quitting and restarting?

You mean stepping out of any vehicle? Just press "enter".
It will also put you in the nearest vehicle (or you have to be close to one, can't remember) if you want to drive/fly around again.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 02:09:17 pm by SpaceFlight »
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

Mikel_S

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 02:06:23 pm »

FFFfffff... Stupid enter key.  That's twice my complete ignorance of it's use in-game has caused me hours of trouble in the past week.

Mikel_S

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 11:05:35 am »

Is there a limit to how many nodes a road can have?  I've gotten to a point where attempting to extend this one any longer (somewhere between 3 and 6 more nodes, if I had to guess), it crashes.  All the time.  The end of the road is stuck in a silly looking loop, and I can't straighten it out to attempt a semi-acceptable merge between two roads.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 11:14:01 am »

Yes, I see the reports coming from you :)
Actually the crash problem is already fixed in the dev version, and I've doubled the amount of nodes there can be. The update will be out soon, just a few bugs to fix ...

[deleted]

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 11:19:39 am »

How do I get out of vehicle mode without quitting and restarting?
It will also put you in the nearest vehicle (or you have to be close to one, can't remember) if you want to drive/fly around again.

You have to look at it and be near from a minium distance.

Mikel_S

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 08:30:38 pm »

Rofl, I wasn't sure if there was any identifying data on the reports, so I was going to start putting a header on it, so you'd be able to know if it was a just-me-being-special problem.  Looking forward to the fix!

The only other crash I get is when driving.  It doesn't prompt me to report it, because I guess it has something to do with my video card.  It simply says something along the lines of: Your NVidia driver has stopped responding, but recovered.  It ONLY happens while driving, and the most common time is when right after I turn on the engine, during the little sound-hiccup before you can start going forward.  It happens at other random times, though, too.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 08:32:22 pm by Mikel_S »

Mikel_S

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 12:20:03 am »

Is the increased node limit in v0.7.11.2982?

Also, my camera seems noticably more jerky, less-smooth than it was before.  hm.

EDIT:  Oops, just saw the patch notes a few threads down, my bad.
EDIT2:  Oops, again.  Settings put me back down to half-VSynch.  Set it back to full, and all better, my bad x2 combo.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 01:03:24 am by Mikel_S »