Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Post Your 3D Models!  (Read 96616 times)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: Post Your 3D Models!
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 07:30:47 pm »

I would ask Cameni about the LOD requirements on models. I never really got a clear answer weather you the modeler would need to provide like 14 different models with lower and lower detail or if the importer designed for the engine would strip polygons and textures automatically for the low lod 40 miles away versions.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Luishi5k0

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 07:39:54 pm »

And also, which maps are available? Is there normal/ bump map support?

Also, how about reflective/ specular? What this engine REALLY needs is a glass shader/ map that would allow us to designate the windows or reflective parts of a building, so that when the sun hits it it will reflect back to the camera. It is really a fantastic effect.

Here are two videos that it can be seen on GTA IV.

Or like in Mirror's Edge:

And also, progress on my new building. Time to texture it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 12:59:11 am by Luishi5k0 »

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 12:59:52 am »

I think Cameni once told me that normal maps (as well as specular) should be supported, though that was a very long time ago.

Regarding the new model, I like the overall design, but the polygons look a bit ... troublesome ... especially around the connector corridors.  Was this converted from a four-point polygon model to a three-point?  (Trying to remember if 3ds uses 3-point natively, rather than 4-point).  Also thinking you should split the model in half, along the central axis going from right to left.  Though it would add to the poly-count, it would clean up the inward-facing polygons a bit, and allow you to save UV space with mirroring, and gain a slightly higher color/normal map resolution as a result.

One of the biggest selling factors of this building's design is the fact that it ISN'T symmetrical.  I'd almost suggest that the left portion be made slightly higher, even.

Also curious why you used cylindrical corridors rather than rectangular ones (just curious ... your version adds flavor, and it's something I probably wouldn't have thought of if I designed a similar building).  I can totally see a road running between them, and how cool it would be to drive through :).  ESPECIALLY if the building were more glass than concrete.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

Luishi5k0

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 01:42:27 am »

I got half way done with texturing it when I realized I didn't like it and threw it out. I also found out about floating geometry and that it was allowed. Also it went from quads to tris. Now I am making a new one. I like it much more and it only has a 408 poly count, which is WAY less, and this one is MORE smooth and interesting. I chose the cylindrical walk ways because square ones would conflict too much with the building's style. Here is a quick render of the new version:

Oh wait, forgot to convert it to tris. Now it's 788 polys, which is actually still less and it is much more clean. I am very glad I re-did it.

C. Shawn Smith

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 01:58:19 am »

That one looks a lot cleaner and better.  Wondering how the conversion to tris made it look.  Lightwave has an option to "spin quads," which is more or less a fancy way of saying that it can spin how tris show up, by spinning the "split quad" around, making for a cleaning mesh.

(Hmm, bad way of explaining it.  Maybe better: When you split to tris, you select two tris that form a quad, and spin it so the geometry flows better)

*edit* incidentally, I noticed the tris at the curvature of the upper portion of the buildings in this version, reaching the focal point at the foci of the curves.  Trying to remember if I encountered an issue with that once before or not, when converting to a game model.  Need to check to see if I still have an old game engine installed on this system ....

Hmm, not anymore.  I'm going to poke my 3d game artist buddy tonight about that.  Something about multiple polygons sharing a single point causes some sort of graphical issue in most engines.

C. Shawn Smith

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 02:03:23 am »

Update: Most points should only be shared by tris or quads in 3's or 4's ... Just remember that's what my buddy told me ages ago.  You can merge those tris into quads, and should be able to rotate them a bit (or cut them in such a way) that you get only 3 - 4 of them sharing that single focal point, considering you have 4 pairs of tris to deal with.  Any point shared with more than 5 polygons needs to generally be hidden by the game engine to minimize graphical issues (generally, it causes polygons to vanish and reappear as you get closer or farther from the object).  Some game engines avoid this with tessellation, thankfully, so it has less of an impact that it used to be.

Luishi5k0

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 02:48:00 am »

Thank you much for the info. I'll watch out for that once the importer is released, which is hopefully soon.

C. Shawn Smith

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2012, 03:23:34 am »

Thank you much for the info. I'll watch out for that once the importer is released, which is hopefully soon.

Honestly, this is what I struggle with on a daily basis when modeling, almost without fail.  I can't count the number of times my 3d artist friend has called me to task because of that, and can't count the number of models I've had to scrap because of it.  I'll be interested to see how Outerra's importer will handle it, even so ... if it handle's it with grace, that will make things a LOT easier in the future for some of us who do this as a hobby.

The last time I encountered this issue (five polygons were sharing a single vertex), my friend asked me: "Does it render okay in your experiments?  If it does, screw it!  Move on!"  He's done Nike commercials, and has encountered that as well from time to time :)

If Outerra can handle it, all the better.  But it's safer to hedge your bets at this point in time, until Outerra releases the currently non-user-friendly tools (I hear that's the Pig's domain at the moment ... *cough*).

*edit* never post when exhausted.  Typos happen.

Luishi5k0

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 08:57:06 pm »

I'm gonna go for big money and hope that's not the case.

Here is the textured version. It's not done yet, I have to fix the seams but in general that's about what it will be.

C. Shawn Smith

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2012, 10:51:02 pm »

hehe, change the logo in the first image to the Outerra logo on the front page of the website. :)  I like your concept.  Windows on the top areas need some TLC, but I think I see where you are going with it.  Nice work!

Luishi5k0

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, 05:08:23 pm »

I just about finished that last one up. Fixed some texture issues. I can't fix the windows though, but at the same time I don't think it's too big of a deal. I have the weekend off so I'm going to see how much I can do. Started on this about an hour and a half ago. It's an SR-75 (shhhhh...), as you can see it also has a cockpit. Now I'll go ahead and texture it.

Luishi5k0

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 10:28:47 pm »

After 7 solid hours of work, I finished it up.

1610 polys.

neverminded

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2012, 05:09:41 pm »

That already looks quite impressive!

Luishi5k0

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2012, 09:18:01 pm »

WIP B-2 model. I'm trying to make it a bit more high quality, but it does also cost more polys. Also I'm actually going to make the cockpit look really good on this one, since that is what you will be looking at the whole time. The one thing about this airplane is the window is very small, but still should be sufficient.

Currently at 2,532 triangles without the cockpit. Expect about 5k poly with the cockpit.

(Forgot to triangulate before render, so just picture triangles.

Pougatchev

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2012, 11:41:56 pm »

Here are some of my 3D models, some finished, some WIP:

PS: If Outerra dev's have a special request, i can make one HD model of what you want for free, happy to help you if I can ;)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 11:44:53 pm by Axel Mozet »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10