Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Post Your 3D Models!  (Read 96661 times)

Jagerbomber

Re: Post Your 3D Models!
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2012, 08:07:27 pm »

Well... Thank God the shades worked.  I don't know what they would have done without them.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

mctash

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2012, 08:18:25 pm »

Holy f*cking sh*t. I think this is why the new super powers will come from the east (relativly speaking).

I for one welcome our new eastern overlords.

Luishi5k0

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2012, 08:54:25 pm »

I guess my 3d Models weren't that futuristic considering what they have in Dubai.

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2012, 12:23:21 am »

Dubai is at the forefront of architectural design (was first the French in the modern age, then the US ... a few other countries made significant strides, but they were mostly copies of previous works, and only expanded concept a modest amount).

Dubai is in the unique situation in having more disposable money in her coffers than most nations, so we see advancements in that regard there before we do elsewhere.  At least in my opinion.

In short, Dubai is a good place to start with designs for futuristic buildings, while still keeping it within the tech of today (which will be necessary for Anteworld).  The hard part is that balancing act, but what I've seen you do so far has not been so out of reach of today's tech to be implausible.  Hopefully when AP gets the importer finished, we can see how it looks within the world itself.  I tend towards more texturing than actual modeling, so I might be able to enhance some of the textures a bit that you create, to make them look a bit more natural within the setting (weathering, etc).

Photoshop is like a third hand for me :).  Give me a task with it, and I'll go NUTS.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

Luishi5k0

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2012, 01:01:27 am »

PSD texture file:
http://www.mediafire.com/?55a64ui532pz72g

http://i.cubeupload.com/HiCfDD.png
http://i.cubeupload.com/PnuSxa.png
http://i.cubeupload.com/NhDJUI.png

Go to town!

I should note the oposite flat side is also green but only uses the smaller section of the UV lay out of it. Feel free to make any additional maps (bump/normal/glow/specular/ect).

I'll upload the others when I get more time. Send me the textures that you make/modify and I'll apply them and re-render and upload them here.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:04:27 am by Luishi5k0 »

C. Shawn Smith

« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2012, 01:08:15 am »

Downloaded!  I'll work on them a bit over the weekend.  Might want you to up an OBJ file (with UV's intact) in a couple of weeks to work on a Normal Map in ZBrush (still need to update it, and it's been WAY too long since I've dabbled with it last, so it'll be very low priority).

The UV's presented here need a bit of optimization in a "final product," but they'll do quite fine for now.  I actually like the simplicity with which you generated them.  Makes it MUCH easier to modify, compared to most.

Now I just need to find my Nurbles textures I downloaded a very long time ago.  Hope I didn't lose them in my external HD crash :(  They'd be perfect for the walkways between the two sides of the building!

Luishi5k0

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2012, 11:29:29 am »

What sort of UV optimization do you speak of? I am not super great at UV mapping yet.

C. Shawn Smith

« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2012, 03:06:13 pm »

There's a lot of open space in your UV map that isn't being utilized (mostly around the odd-shaped flat areas).  There may not be much you can do about that though.  I haven't had a chance to look too detailed at the file yet (and it was VERY late when I looked at it, so exhaustion could have entered into it :)).

Luishi5k0

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2012, 04:49:15 pm »

They all look fairly close to me. I suppose there are some more open areas because the shape of the geometry, but I didn't want them to be crazy close because then you get a tiny bit of overlap in some cases, and it makes it harder to compose. And in the end, I don't think a pixel or two is going to make much of a difference in how a model looks. Anyway, I'm going to make some more building models for you to texture. Anyone else who wants to texture things should let me know.

zuluknob

« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2012, 07:58:59 pm »

As far as i know the ship leaves earth in 2100 so the tech should reflect that. carbon fiber/silk composites will be commonplace in building materials and so will aerogels unless they come up with even better stuff. In 90 years what we consider top end tech will be classed as old school. I would think that a colony ship would have equipment to build prefab sections to allow for fast construction with little waste such as 3d printers, robotic workforce. A system of building parts in a library that can be selected and added together with common sizing and interfaces might be the way to go. Standard parts could include.. water purification/heat reclamation/sewage treatment/airoponics/living spaces/factory units/transport hubs/repair services/hospital units/ect ect. Any or all of those parts could be placed together to create a single building. That way just like lego, millions of combinations are available from just a few simple parts.
Windows 10 Pro
Amd fx-8350
2x Amd r9 280x
16gig ram
Hisense 58" 4k3D TV
blah blah blah...

C. Shawn Smith

« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2012, 08:15:40 pm »

The above would be necessary for large-scale/long-term colonization of other worlds.  It would be necessary to prefab a lot of things early in the creation of a colony.  After the colony matures, more mainstream structures would replace the prefabs, once mining resources, as well as purification and refinement of those resources, have been achieved.  Otherwise, it shortens the colony's viability almost proportionally, from what research I've done.

For the Anteworld game, some of the above structures could be considered Tier 2 or 3 structures, with Tier 1 reserved for the prefabs, sort of like how an RTS game works.

We also have to take into account that the Outerra mothership is crippled, so some of the more advanced stuff would still need to be re-researched (simulating gaps in the tech database).  But that's a thread for the Game forum :)

Bartolomeus

• VirtualTechArt Design
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2012, 01:04:48 pm »

Two of my current models. A german Fast Patrol Boat and a F-15 E Strike Eagle.

Marko

C. Shawn Smith

« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2012, 04:16:04 pm »

PSD texture file:
http://www.mediafire.com/?55a64ui532pz72g

http://i.cubeupload.com/HiCfDD.png
http://i.cubeupload.com/PnuSxa.png
http://i.cubeupload.com/NhDJUI.png

Luishi5k0, can you export the object to .obj format?  One thing I realized is that I can't determine the placement of some of the windows (ie, if a set of windows is facing the interior our exterior), which will have an effect on weathering.

Luishi5k0

« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2012, 05:34:47 pm »

Yes, I will try and get it to you within the next hour. I was just thinking of the same problem today.

Here it is! http://www.mediafire.com/?xjem1dhn01mxe25
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 06:21:27 pm by Luishi5k0 »

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2012, 05:07:00 am »

Anyone feel like taking a request?  I kind of want the car from the anime Redline (Trans-Am 2000!!!) in Outerra. It seems futuristic enough and if scripted correctly will definitely be fast enough.

http://i.minus.com/iB5cbVhhvjvFl.jpg

Plus it looks bad-ass..
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10