Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Moon  (Read 6557 times)

Chaoz

Moon
« on: February 29, 2012, 11:50:36 pm »

Hey, first of all great engine and great game!

I just love to fly over the world with everything looking so realistic, but I wonder why there isn't a moon visible at night. It would really make the game more realistic. Also I want to know if there is any way to leave the earth, cause I just can't get away, no matter how far I rise.

anyways, great work! I can't wait to see further improvements.

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
Re: Moon
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 12:14:44 am »

I just love to fly over the world with everything looking so realistic, but I wonder why there isn't a moon visible at night. It would really make the game more realistic. Also I want to know if there is any way to leave the earth, cause I just can't get away, no matter how far I rise.

Currently, no.  The goal of the tech demo was to show the potential for the engine.  Cameni and Angrypig have both stated that the moon would be integrated at some point, but it's very low priority at the moment (I wouldn't expect it for quite some time).

Thus, leaving Low Earth Orbit just isn't necessary, and can put a needless strain at the moment on the server that offers up the data downloads.

Cameni and Angrypig have hinted that they want to do both the moon and Mars using height data (so that they would be fully explorable in the same level of detail as the Earth (I imagine NASA would be greatly interested in THAT), but I wouldn't expect that for maybe 2 years at the earliest ... and even that's probably stretching it a bit.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

Chaoz

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 02:04:12 am »

Hey, sorry to hear that, but thanks for the fast reply.  :)

Oldtown

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 03:45:18 am »

Currently, no.  The goal of the tech demo was to show the potential for the engine.  Cameni and Angrypig have both stated that the moon would be integrated at some point, but it's very low priority at the moment (I wouldn't expect it for quite some time).

Thus, leaving Low Earth Orbit just isn't necessary, and can put a needless strain at the moment on the server that offers up the data downloads.

Cameni and Angrypig have hinted that they want to do both the moon and Mars using height data (so that they would be fully explorable in the same level of detail as the Earth (I imagine NASA would be greatly interested in THAT), but I wouldn't expect that for maybe 2 years at the earliest ... and even that's probably stretching it a bit.

I appreciate your honesty in that case. Too often publishers and gaming studios promised things which never happend ... so take all the time it needs. But if this had the quality like Anteworld I would wait for it. Also we got enough to explore on Earth. And there are still many things missing so its better not to build up too many areas that need improvement.

Greetz Oldie

PRiME

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 01:11:00 am »

Someone could create the moon, not all that hard to do. Just unsure if the Outerra engine would render a object that far out???  (assuming you keep its distance from earth real).  It would however not orbit without the aid of a small script ;)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 01:46:28 am »

OT has unlimited view distance.. Eventually the Sun will be created in 1:1 scale and the earth will rotate around it. And that will be the day this gets serious.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Jagerbomber

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 11:15:26 am »

The day when everyone gets spaceships that are effected by the gravity of the planets and sun will be hilarious.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P