Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Flight  (Read 23486 times)

Edding3000

Re: Flight
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 08:27:25 pm »

Look up cruise power settings for the cessna. Planes are made in that way that no rudder has to be applied (or rudder trim) in cruise.

It is correct that the p-factor (propwash) will give the movement to the left, and this is most prominent at high power settings with low airspeeds. A lot of airplanes dont have rudder trim, so the solution is to apply right rudder, and keep the ball of the turn coordinator centred. Wings level + ball centred, should make you go in a straight line through the air!
The pitch is indeed probably due to not trimming out the airplane with the stab-trim.

Trimming out an airplane is one of the most important things to ALWAYS do. Always fly a trimmed airplane.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 08:29:17 pm by Edding3000 »

zuluknob

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 09:56:40 pm »

A few things come to mind... 1. Anteworld is set in the future so i doubt that they would be flying round in a Cessna. More like star trek shuttle-craft. 2. As i have said most people will play it with mouse/keyboard so I'm glad they are putting in a auto-trim. 3. Realism is one thing fun is another. For those of us without a joystick/yoke fighting real-world mechanics is a pain and takes away from the fun..As i understand it Anteworld isn't a flight sim. The solution i found was to mod the plane, lots more fun zooming about at 600kts (till i ran out of fuel) without fighting the plane
Windows 10 Pro
Amd fx-8350
2x Amd r9 280x
16gig ram
Hisense 58" 4k3D TV
blah blah blah...

PRiME

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 10:04:03 pm »

There is a balance between simulation and gameplay. A game can have many realistic simulations while still being fun, the issue occurs when the player is forced to remember 100 key combinations and finicky things JUST to get a vehicle moving or in the air. Most flight mechanics in the future will be completely and utterly dominated by computer systems, having manual control systems simply as backup or more direct control for when the need comes.

I think Outerras mechanics should follow this, however in no way should it be turned into arcade fantasy/fiction were the player must only press forward button to WIN game. Simulation can be fun if done correctly.

For example I loved T34 Vs Tiger were you had to control rev of engine and change up and down gears, it was fun and felt cool having such fine control of the engine. Also a player may be able to choose between Arcade or Simulation realism options sometime?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 10:06:10 pm by PRiME »

mctash

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 10:14:54 pm »

I think the lines are blurred between Anteworld and the engine in general at the moment. Alot of the flight model stuff is being recommended by people who are obvious enthusiasts (like me :) ). If i recall one of the objectives of Anteworld was to get the engine ready for futher modding and so it is kind of relevant if only from a developement point of view.

I do think you are right though. Anteworld itself should have a more forgiving flight model due to the different audience it will attract.

SilentEagle

• Sim Developer
    • Simulation Developer
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 12:41:37 am »

Since you asked for it, here's an extremely simplified arcadish flight model of the Cessna (think Battlefield 3...kinda).

The use of rudder while flying is not as necessary with this flight model and the pitching effects due to build up of airspeed are not as drastic.

In case you're wondering what was changed, here's the list:

Side_force_due_to_aileron         (REMOVED)
Side_force_due_to_roll_rate       (REMOVED)
Roll_moment_due_to_beta         (REMOVED)
Roll_moment_due_to_yaw_rate   (REMOVED)
Roll_moment_due_to_rudder       (REMOVED)
Yaw_moment_due_to_aileron      (REMOVED)
P_factor                                 (Changed from 10.0 to 0.0)
Pitching_moment_at_zero_alpha  (Changed from a simple function to a complex function involving airspeed that attempts to level your pitching axis at all airspeeds - not perfect but much "better")

Luishi5k0

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 12:50:34 am »

Can you do anything about the helicopter SilentEagle? That would be fantastic!

SilentEagle

• Sim Developer
    • Simulation Developer
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 12:55:57 am »

I can't even fly that thing, so I don't know what to do about it.  I know how to fly a helicopter but that thing is definitely FUBAR.  I can't seem to get any significant yaw rate going in forward flight, so I have to resort to trying to roll the helicopter to turn it, which induces a large left sideslip that makes me fall out of the sky.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 03:40:51 am »

Anteworld is set in the future so i doubt that they would be flying round in a Cessna. More like star trek shuttle-craft.

Well actually if the original mission sent everyone into space there may not really have been any need for in-atmo flying. A star trek like shuttle craft would just have used gas thrusters to nudge itself around and weight in space wouldn't have even been an issue.

Not to say the landing crafts used to explore other worlds can't be in-game but I think they will run on much more traditional or near-future technology.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

angrypig

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 04:39:05 am »

I can't even fly that thing, so I don't know what to do about it.  I know how to fly a helicopter but that thing is definitely FUBAR.  I can't seem to get any significant yaw rate going in forward flight, so I have to resort to trying to roll the helicopter to turn it, which induces a large left sideslip that makes me fall out of the sky.

There is the "auto hover" feature which holds the heli in a stable position haven't you accidentally enabled it (default mapping is to Joystick/Btn0) ?

[deleted]

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 11:07:49 am »

Since you asked for it, here's an extremely simplified arcadish flight model of the Cessna (think Battlefield 3...kinda).

Battlefield 3 ??!?!?!? If you are going forward and you pull down, the jet keeps going forward for some seconds. Ahahaa, I really hope this won't happen with anteworld  ;D

Luishi5k0

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2012, 10:31:13 pm »

Is there any way more information could be added to the HUD read-out, or another option to bring up more input info. I want to see what the mixture is, what the status of flaps are, what throttle % is. It feels like I don't know everything I wish to know about my flight or if everything is working. This is just an idea, not a big priority but would be nice for seeing if everything is working right.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2012, 10:34:59 pm »

NO! THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NO WAY! IT'S IMPOSSIBLE!  ;)
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 12:07:35 am »

NO! THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NO WAY! IT'S IMPOSSIBLE!  ;)

Down boy.. Down. The sarcasm. Your going to upset the internet noobs again!

But seriously. I will modify/delete your posts if you aren't adding to the conversations.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2012, 12:21:45 am »

Luishi5k0, I imagine that what you want could be done.  As for Jager and Zeos... I'm not sure what to say. ???
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel JanouĊĦek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

Jagerbomber

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2012, 12:45:07 am »

:(  IIIII'm soorryyyy...  ::)

What's wrong with being literal?  ;) hehe
[/sarcasm]
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3