Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: Development screen shots and videos  (Read 203528 times)

aWac9

Re: Development screen shots and videos
« Reply #165 on: January 17, 2021, 08:45:51 am »

Following the recommendations of Jagerbomber we have visited Akureyri - Iceland, really beautiful, and really no trees are seen ... that aspect will have to be improved.

outerra

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #166 on: January 18, 2021, 09:41:51 am »

Seems satellites do not really detect any vegetation there.
Here's for example the global forest change https://earthenginepartners.appspot.com/science-2013-global-forest

Unfortunately also https://s2maps.eu/ data, which we used for Earth8, do not show any reliable way of detecting trees there.

aWac9

« Reply #167 on: January 18, 2021, 02:43:00 pm »

Greetings Cameni
The color is confusing, from above they look like land without trees, at ground level, they are there.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #168 on: January 27, 2021, 02:38:43 am »

Looks more like shrubs. But anyway, we cannot go around the world looking for trees and then planting them manually :)
We need a way to identify them from satellite data, which is usually done with the help of additional infrared satellite channels.

Also, the Global Forest data are defined only for trees higher than 5m, so it may have problems detecting those.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #169 on: January 06, 2022, 03:29:12 pm »

I'm not completely certain of the exact location in Iceland, but somebody posted some Iceland pictures that look like where I drove through in Outerra a year ago this month:
Route/Highway 1 West of Akureyri maybe?  The low sun lined up with the canyon with clouds and godrays and looked astonishing in Outerra.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NatureIsFuckingLit/comments/rwyyki/i_moved_to_iceland_because_of_my_love_of/
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

aWac9

« Reply #170 on: January 09, 2022, 06:08:24 am »

I think that this image corresponds to the Snaellsjökull glacier / volcano of 1446m .. it is a mysterious place, it is said that at the top (felliskros) (Sneffeles of 5000feet high), the Elves live.
that volcano was the one that inspired Jules Verne in 1864 for his novel .. "journey to the center of the earth" where through its crater (Snaellsjökull) a journey began where he would encounter creatures and difficulties.
It is a beautiful place, full of energy, great for hiking.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]