Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Hmmm Apparently i misunderstood something here...  (Read 12435 times)

JackDawson

• Bashing my head up against a stone.
    • The Epicureanist Youtube Channel
Hmmm Apparently i misunderstood something here...
« on: February 29, 2012, 11:45:11 pm »

Hmmm  Apparently I misunderstood something here... I was under the impression that this was to be a game engine that we could write our own games with. But come to find out that the $15.00 I paid is for an up coming game and that's all.

Is this correct ? Either way, I am happy to support this project. But a little clarification would help me here.

Thank you.
"Building an Empire with only 64K"

mctash

Re: Hmmm Apparently i misunderstood something here...
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 12:02:33 am »

Don't quote me on this, but I think the $15.00 was for access to the anteworld alpha (including updates etc etc). Also included was a tech demo of the Outerra engine.

Everything I have seen here in the past year or so leads me to believe that engine access in some form is very much on the cards. There are so many possibilities for Outerra engine and the guys who make it happen seem to be really good guys in my opinion. Just hold fire for a while and hopefully you and the rest of us eager devs will get our hands on the prize ;D

JackDawson

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 12:05:00 am »

Don't quote me on this, but I think the $15.00 was for access to the anteworld alpha (including updates etc etc). Also included was a tech demo of the Outerra engine.

Everything I have seen here in the past year or so leads me to believe that engine access in some form is very much on the cards. There are so many possibilities for Outerra engine and the guys who make it happen seem to be really good guys in my opinion. Just hold fire for a while and hopefully you and the rest of us eager devs will get our hands on the prize ;D

Thanks for the heads up. I am eager to see this engine to make my own game if that's what this is about. The demo is all I could download. There is no other alpha or anything else to get. And its a game in the making from what I read and tested from that demo. So not an engine per say. But i'll keep my eyes out. :)

Again, thanks for the response.

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 12:09:29 am »

Yes, currently the tech demo and Anteworld is pretty much the same entity.  The difference is that if you purchased Anteworld, you'll get all the updates and perks as they're rolled out.  If you don't purchase, you'll only be able to experience the Tech Demo (in its current iteration).

I think eventually, that $15.00 is going to go a LONG way, when some of the tools they've mentioned are released.  That would allow you to create a specific kind of game.  Cameni once mentioned an "Outerra Portal" system that users could pretty much build their own worlds, and players could move between them.

I envision something similar to Tad Williams "Otherland" series ... but I'm not sure if Camenia and Angrypig are looking in quite that direction yet.

Ride the wave for a few months ;).  It'll only get bigger and better.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

mctash

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 12:09:53 am »

The alpha (if it is that) and the tech demo are part of the same package. Tech Demo is what you can run if you dont pre purchase the game. Hence the login bit.

Browse the forum for a while. There are numerous interesting threads covering many proposed applications of the engine. I think once you see a few you will realise you are not alone in having high hopes for Outerra both as an engine and a development platform.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 02:36:25 am »

This engine is going to be VERY user content dependent. If cameni and pig stay on top of the engineering and backend stuff I think the populous could easily figure out how to build nearly anything off a perfect scale replica of Earth.

All you really need is some scripting, models and whatever custom sounds and UI and you have a game. The simplest practice game would probably be a hunting game actually. Just pick gun and time of day and where. And you walk in circles for two hours looking for wild bore. Listening for their delicate mating calls.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

JackDawson

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 10:31:58 am »

This engine is going to be VERY user content dependent. If cameni and pig stay on top of the engineering and backend stuff I think the populous could easily figure out how to build nearly anything off a perfect scale replica of Earth.

All you really need is some scripting, models and whatever custom sounds and UI and you have a game. The simplest practice game would probably be a hunting game actually. Just pick gun and time of day and where. And you walk in circles for two hours looking for wild bore. Listening for their delicate mating calls.

So this is going to be for only earth then ?  No point in going into space if that's all it is. The reason I wanted the engine was to create planets on the fly and then set it up so that each planet could be on a separate server, and have all the planets talk to one server that keeps track of log-ins and the planets ( servers ). I designed this long ago.. but I had not had the procedural planet part created yet. And when I saw this engine, I was under the impression I could use it as an API and create my own game out of it. The website was misleading on that part. It talks about an engine.. but you only get the demo to their game and no use of an actual engine. Well that's how it comes across at least. Either way..  as you all have well said..  just be patient and so I will. I am very curious to know where this goes.

As for scripting..  I was a scripting teacher in 2008 to 2010 in the game known as Second Life. The LSL language and I are old friends. :)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 11:43:29 am »

You'd still have to create the data for the planets; the engine is only capable to refine the terrain, to add a finer detail, at the moment.
Besides, earth is the hardest one to make. Once there's all the infrastructure the possibility for making other planets will be there too.

And while the Anteworld is just a game now, our plan is to use it to make a game/sim platform out of it. First by enabling the modding, scripting .. then enabling standalone games that run on the infrastructure the Anteworld runs on. Will take some time though .. and patience ;)

JackDawson

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 01:20:30 pm »

You'd still have to create the data for the planets; the engine is only capable to refine the terrain, to add a finer detail, at the moment.
Besides, earth is the hardest one to make. Once there's all the infrastructure the possibility for making other planets will be there too.

And while the Anteworld is just a game now, our plan is to use it to make a game/sim platform out of it. First by enabling the modding, scripting .. then enabling standalone games that run on the infrastructure the Anteworld runs on. Will take some time though .. and patience ;)

ohhh I think I get it now.. your making a kind of skeleton, and then we just add the content, like height maps, and your engine will be able to read it in ? That is a brilliant idea actually. And if you already have the code in there to be a server, then this is even better idea.

What I was thinking about for my own game design was having 3 servers . One server is for log-ins and such that talk to the SQL database ( Player info ). I call it the galaxy server. All planet servers talk to this 1 server within its own galaxy. It will redirect all log-ins to the last location within that galaxy that the player was last on / at, or will put them in a noob planet if they are a new player. The other server holds the assets ( inventory ) which talks to the SQL database as well to store the names of each item as well as its location, and another server is the actual planet itself. The planet server is just that, holds all the info about the planet and takes care of physics or interaction between the players. It will upload data to each player that is on it. The player has a separate log-in client to log into the planet they were at. ( Client side on the physics part as well. )

There could be a 4th server known as the universe server that can keep track of all the known galaxies too.

For single server mode, you can have 2 servers run all this and just allow only that to run one instance of a planet and nothing more. Some players would rather just build on one planet only with a few friends and not have to log into anything else. Kind of a LAN server.

Minecraft is a good example of this. Except it doesn't have the ability to go into space or to goto other planets yet. And yet Minecraft is a brilliant idea as for as crafting goes.

In my idea, I wanted to go further with the Minecraft idea and if they wanted to build a space ship to go into space, and it can deal with real physics, then they can literally go into space to another planet. It takes time, and maybe even skillz. This could literally go in any direction here. The other cool part is that Second Life has some cool interface ideas for building. But instead of the players building out of thin air, they have to use the resources around them to get the things they need and then they can use the "SL Like" interface to design their own idea of the ship based off of the resources they have. ( or the idea tell them what resources they need )

Google Sketchup is just plain AWESOME in the way its design interface is. Very simple and yet allows for any kind of creation. And then, if the game accepts their idea, they can build it to their liking and it will be truly their creativity on the planet. Add chemistry to it, and boom you have the makings of a starship. And all this without needing to script. Have people make research labs to MAKE the elements they need for the advanced stuff. Kind of like you see on WURM Online. There are many possibilities here. I have been studying this for a while. Call it a passion I guess. lol
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 01:23:50 pm by JackDawson »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 03:48:44 am »

Outerra/Anteworld uses cloud service backend for data and scenery, both in the design time and in the real time (or, will use it). The backend should serve as a content server for slowly changing stuff - buildings, infrastructure. For online play you'll have to have your own servers handling stuff.

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 04:14:36 am »

Read Tad William's Otherworld series.

It's the Outerra engine in a nutshell, provided Cameni and Angrypig can pull it off.

At least, in my opinion lol
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

JackDawson

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 08:51:59 am »

Read Tad William's Otherworld series.

It's the Outerra engine in a nutshell, provided Cameni and Angrypig can pull it off.

At least, in my opinion lol

You mean Otherland right ?  The Cyberpunk series ?  And I hope this game engine doesn't turn into ANOTHER cyberpunk game. uhgg.