Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Full screen mode at 5760x1080 is not working right.  (Read 4923 times)

Luishi5k0

Full screen mode at 5760x1080 is not working right.
« on: March 03, 2012, 12:26:28 pm »

Most games take priority and as many of you know, when playing most games and you alt-tab it unloads the game and brings you to the desktop. With Outerra this does not seem to be the case, and this would cause a performance hit. To illustrate what I'm talking about, here is a pic:

See how the game continues to run fine in the background while other things are up.

Some may say that that seems like a feature you'd want, but when a application does not have full screen priority it's essentially running in windowed mode, which never runs as well as fullscreen.

Others may point out that people with 3 monitors are such a small portion of customers that it is not especially important to keep them a priority, and most games take this attitude. With Outerra, it is a simulation game that is targeted at simulation audience, and if I know anything about people who play simulation games, it is that a good portion of them have 3 monitors.

Right now I am using the Nvidia surround method, as I don't have an ATI eyefinity card.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: Full screen mode at 5760x1080 is not working right.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 05:35:38 pm »

I think that has to do with it being OpenGL more than anything. Most people do find it desirable to use a game full-screen windowed but I don't think that is the case here. I just think it works better than most games.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

angrypig

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 12:30:44 pm »

Some may say that that seems like a feature you'd want, but when a application does not have full screen priority it's essentially running in windowed mode, which never runs as well as fullscreen.

The fullscreen optimization was always handled internally by the driver in OpenGL. But what i see on your screenshot is that you have enabled Aero (i have all this fancy stuff disabled) which should be automatically disabled by driver when window is set to fullscreen but it wasn't. So i added "disable_composition" option to eng.cfg that will disable Aero when Outerra is running and free all GPU resources. This option should be available in next patch.

Luishi5k0

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 12:37:12 pm »

Great! Good to hear angrypig! Thank you very much!