Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Hello everybody, I'm new here...  (Read 4934 times)

lonewulf47

Hello everybody, I'm new here...
« on: March 04, 2012, 06:47:57 am »

Hi folks,

after following the developments within Outerra silently for quite some time the Anteworld Tech Demo is now offering a completely new and higly anticipated approach to the Outerra World for "common people" as I would declare myself. My backbround is mainly derived from the world of Aviation as I am a retired Airline Pilot. Nevertheless I'm in the "Simulation Business" for quite some time also and I would declare myself as looking at things with the eyes of a practical user with some more than average background. In my free time I also work as a Co-Editor in the German Flight-Simmer portal "SimFlight.de" where I lastly also published the news about the Anteworlds Tech Demo - see here (unfortunatley in German ;)) http://www.simflight.de/2012/03/01/nochn-simulator-gefallig/

Reading through the present Support Forum's threads I see a few suggestions that should definitely materialize within Anteworlds to bring it a few steps closer to what might become a milestone in future simulations. I can't cope with any kind of technical issues regarding the mathematical background of Outerra but - as mentioned above - I might see a few things from the practical level that might need  some consideration.

One thing that came to my attention is the use of the mouse. At present it is locked to moving the view direction in any kind of cockpit. This should become unlocked and maybe only be used with one of the mouse buttons (preferably the right, as used in "designer view"). The main reason of this is that sooner or later the cockpits may become more functional and you will need the mouse pointer to activate instruments through clickspots. Use of the hat switch should also become popular.

Controlling the vehicles and setting up the controllers is very intuitive and IMHO already quite good. I would however propose a possibility to either a de-linearize the controller inputs or a variable null-zone (or both) to ease vehicle steering - be it a truck or an aircraft.

I have seen mentioning OSM for streets design. This might of course become a good standard however there are some stringent limitations when it comes to using it in mountaineous regions. If the underlying mesh is not sufficiently high in resolution the results will become ridiculous - to say the least :D Of course I'm aware that you are still in a very early process of designing further developments. So take this just as a hint.

Sorry for stepping in here with soo many proposals as a newcomer. I'll do my best to be a bit more decent nest time... :)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Hello everybody, I'm new here...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 07:40:46 am »

Welcome :)
Thanks for the suggestions. The mouse mode will be switchable (with persistence), so both shooters and simmers can have their way. Hat switch handling is being worked on right now.

There will be also a separate tab in the controller settings window for adjustment of sensitivity (a profile curve) and dead zones.

I have seen mentioning OSM for streets design. This might of course become a good standard however there are some stringent limitations when it comes to using it in mountaineous regions.
In Outerra the roads also adjust the terrain where they are put (using a transitional width, that specifies the area across which the road blends with the terrain), so they can fit better. It can still look ridiculous if the mountain mesh is off by a lot, but it's a different type of weirdness - who would have built that :)

lonewulf47

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 08:18:41 am »

In Outerra the roads also adjust the terrain where they are put (using a transitional width, that specifies the area across which the road blends with the terrain), so they can fit better. It can still look ridiculous if the mountain mesh is off by a lot, but it's a different type of weirdness - who would have built that :)
Thank you for the warm welcome. Indeed I have seen the terrain adjustment done by the road. What I'm referring to in special detail is any kind of extremely curved mountain roads (serpentines) which at this time I'm unable to create in a way that they could be driven on with a reasonable vehicle. The Tatra of course is capable of almost any kind of terrain ...  :)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 12:30:29 pm »

Now is the time for suggestions. It will be much harder to have systems changed once the millions of users get accustomed to the setup.

MILLIONS!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 12:32:02 pm by ZeosPantera »
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

SilentEagle

• Sim Developer
    • Simulation Developer
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 07:44:50 pm »

I agree with OP but I'd also love to see (and I'm sure this is already on the to-do list) TrackIR support in the near future! :D