Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: New patch: 0.7.11.2989  (Read 24114 times)

USER47

Re: New patch: 0.7.11.2989
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 06:45:20 pm »

That's quite normal, isn't it? A good spruce is 20–60 meters high. That picture is somewhere from Norway, I guess there should be some low shrubs there, bit it doesn't mean that the scale is off - the biome is off.
But Outerra trees aren't even 10 metres tall. I'd say the scale is a bit off as well. I think it's most obvious on mountain tops. If you know some well enough, go there and you'll see all objects in the Outerra world should be a lot smaller to match the real scale.

Matt6767

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 06:46:57 pm »

Yup, a FOV of 60 was way too low.  Somewhere between 90-100 seems about right to me.  Maybe somewhere between 95-100?

Yeah, raising the terrain detail up to 1080 dropped my performance drastically.

I was going for 120 fov at 720p but then my gpu slapped me in the face.  :P

bakho

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 07:39:32 pm »

Now Outerra crashes right after updating, and I get this message when trying to restart it : "This application has failed to start because dwmapi.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem"
It didn't :)
I have XP 64bits

Jagerbomber

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 08:27:56 pm »

That's quite normal, isn't it? A good spruce is 20–60 meters high. That picture is somewhere from Norway, I guess there should be some low shrubs there, bit it doesn't mean that the scale is off - the biome is off.
But Outerra trees aren't even 10 metres tall. I'd say the scale is a bit off as well. I think it's most obvious on mountain tops. If you know some well enough, go there and you'll see all objects in the Outerra world should be a lot smaller to match the real scale.
Did you try raising the FOV?  That could definitely change how the sizes look.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 09:39:02 pm »

Going any higher in FOV in outerra is silly in it's current state. Your going to lose all the scale of the mountains and cliffs. Would you really rather see 2 feet to your left and right vs being able to make out fine detail at a distance? That is the tradeoff. More everything vs more fine detail.

Also Cameni if you could add a key bind with modifier to adjust your FOV on the fly. Also in the future having separate FOV in vehicle / per vehicle and also per camera would be good.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 09:58:36 pm by ZeosPantera »
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 11:01:19 pm »

Also Cameni if you could add a key bind with modifier to adjust your FOV on the fly. Also in the future having separate FOV in vehicle / per vehicle and also per camera would be good.

Second this request.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

Jagerbomber

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 11:40:19 pm »

You two wear glasses don't you.  :P
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 11:54:46 pm »

You two wear glasses don't you.  :P

Perfect Vision. I just obsess over FOV.. Incase you  Didn't Know... or  Don't Care.

This baby is a vehicle simulator platform after all..
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 01:12:55 am »

Trees are around 30m +- random value. Every object has its real size: the truck, the planes, the person model. Do you expect to see dwarf pine up there, and the size of spruce confuses you?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 01:20:54 am »

Now Outerra crashes right after updating, and I get this message when trying to restart it : "This application has failed to start because dwmapi.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem"
It didn't :)
I have XP 64bits
That's weird, I was testing it on Win XP 64, worked just fine and nothing related to dll loading was changed anyway.
Does the program generate crash.log or any of the logs when you delete them first?

SilentEagle

• Sim Developer
    • Simulation Developer
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2012, 01:25:53 am »

Field of View option now is perfect!  My computer also didn't like my previous 1080p setting once I upped my FOV to 90.

One thing I'd like to see is an unlocked initial conditions spawning menu.  I know it might lock up people's games when they ram into a hill at 20000 kts, but maybe have it scale with altitude like it does now but at a higher rate.  Also like to see a pitch initial condition setting like there is on the camera.  Or if that's too risky, maybe a separate config file we could edit to change the initial conditions of our aircraft when we spawn it.  Would love to easily put my plane into orbit and observe the earth as it moves slowly below me at 17000 mph  ;D
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 02:15:01 am by SilentEagle »

Luishi5k0

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2012, 02:12:59 am »

I have a rather vague bug report. Sometimes when playing my game will act funny, then BSOD on exit. Last time it happened I spawned a Cessna in orbit and it didn't move or respond to anything, upon exit of the game, BSOD. Happenes about 2-3 times a day for me. Perhaps something isn't being handled right on exit of the game?

bakho

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2012, 03:04:43 am »

That's weird, I was testing it on Win XP 64, worked just fine and nothing related to dll loading was changed anyway.
Does the program generate crash.log or any of the logs when you delete them first?

After the program has installed the last patch it crashes, then it displays that message and nothing else happens. Same when trying to start the program.
No .log generated after patch installation. I attached "eng.log" just in case. Everything worked fine before the patch (except occasional crashes).

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2012, 03:12:58 am »

Ok, I'll be looking at it, meanwhile you can download an earlier version (the latest full install was Outerra Anteworld-0.7.11.2982), and after install run it with -noupdate switch

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2012, 03:21:06 am »

Cameni do you think the FOV option should be switched to Vertical? How will it currently handle it if someone adds triple screens?  If you're on 60° and add two more monitors and start the game will that number increase in game but not in the menu or will it just keep the entire width viewable to 60°?  I hate games that say Horizontal fov = 90 mean while it very clearly isn't taking the other screens into account.

Also do you have plans (future plans) to render two, three, six screens at individual angles around the player so they can be matched with real life hardware? I think we discussed this a while ago but it is good to refresh my memory.
Pages: 1 [2] 3