Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 85

Author Topic: OUTERRA SCREENSHOT THREAD!!  (Read 485192 times)

Acetone

• Youtube channel
Re: OUTERRA SCREENSHOT THREAD!!
« Reply #765 on: February 26, 2016, 06:56:42 am »

Runway lights at JBLM (one of the many things Uriah and his factory of clones created)

josem75

« Reply #766 on: March 04, 2016, 06:54:04 pm »

My debut in this topic...

« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 07:12:36 pm by josem75 »

HiFlyer

« Reply #767 on: March 04, 2016, 07:13:15 pm »

Pretty Spectacular!
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

josem75

« Reply #768 on: March 04, 2016, 07:31:57 pm »

Pretty Spectacular!

I cant stop watch and fly those sceneries...  :D

I will be posting my final conclusions after all my job about light and color. Tonight if i have time.
Those pics are a very little selection from all my tests and final results.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 07:49:17 pm by josem75 »

Uriah

• Global Moderator
  • We do these things not because they are easy. -JFK
« Reply #769 on: March 04, 2016, 10:41:22 pm »

josem75, honestly, I was once where you are, thinking that the environment settings could make Outerra more realistic, but after considerable time and contemplation, and comparison with the real world, I have to agree with Cameni in the long run. Reduced atmospheric scattering (especially) leads to unrealistic and over saturated colors, which you simply do not find in the real world.

Also note, that many digital cameras tend to use saturation filters and post processing to make images more than they really are. When the human eye looks at a mountain through the haze of the atmosphere at less then ten miles, it will.actually appear far more subdued than it would up close. I understand and respect the desire to manipulate the settings, but I would also point out that is not any more realistic.

Best regards,
Uriah

josem75

« Reply #770 on: March 05, 2016, 01:21:10 am »

josem75, honestly, I was once where you are, thinking that the environment settings could make Outerra more realistic, but after considerable time and contemplation, and comparison with the real world, I have to agree with Cameni in the long run. Reduced atmospheric scattering (especially) leads to unrealistic and over saturated colors, which you simply do not find in the real world.

Also note, that many digital cameras tend to use saturation filters and post processing to make images more than they really are. When the human eye looks at a mountain through the haze of the atmosphere at less then ten miles, it will.actually appear far more subdued than it would up close. I understand and respect the desire to manipulate the settings, but I would also point out that is not any more realistic.

Best regards,
Uriah

Hi Uriah. If you was where i am, you was right ;).  Anybody playing outerra settings know he can touch for gat some more real images for very clear conditions (for not clear conditions is more ok). But you dont find enough for do inside outerra without outside filters at the moment.
Its not a matter of the Haze, i even didnt touch it. All the images are setting between 30 and 50 scatering. And the HAze is clearly there, you can see. And i even didnt touch the colors saturation.  Its more complex than that. Its about to go long range colors.
Then in this range you avoid the mid-tone pale layer has all those images by default. This is not about the haze, because you can see this mid-tone film in all, even in a mountain far 1 meter from you.
Those conditions (pale) can be great effect and real for a not clear day. But believe me, i live in south of Spain and i see a huge range of distance and full of colors an details (we even see Africa clearly).

By a moment forget about colors (We will talk about it later). Focus only on details. Why all the pictures you are seeing in this topic lack on detail and my pictures are very detailed?? 
Colors can be tricky, anybody can say see one color, and can say cameras are not reliables because can use filters.  But what a camera cant do is represent details that are not there.  If you see my video drone in my topic about lighting and colors, you see a world full of details. Nothing about pale layer. 

See this picture.

Has a lot of details. Even much more than my last everest image, where my image has much more details than an outerra average image.  And the resolution of the picture  is a shame. Imagine being there with your eyes. And its not even a clear day, there are a lot of clouds, and the atmosphere has turbidity (stil the sky is blue).

The life is much more similar to my images in a clear day. Just comparing about details make my phrase objetively true.
And even if i go a bit oversaturated (In my two first pictures i go still desaturated compared with the real world in a very clear day). I would always personally preffer be over than be in the grey spectrum (where we are). But this would be easy for everybody tweak in their taste.

Now about colors itself. We can have good references. Anybody can do tomorrow, going out in a very clear day, see the colors, the cars has true red, blue, etc. The sky in a clear day is SO blue, electric, light, and the clouds are making a huge contrast (almost burning in white). Anybody can test it during a clear day. this is a good reference.
after if you introduce a plane or objects, you can see a red plane, not a red pale plane. A real red like a red car in the street in a clear sunny day (you can test and see any clear day).

Seriously. I understand you because i had a desaturated phase in my renders.. But after i discovered that the world is full of colors.. 
In a  render you are more safe when go desaturate.. Because a big saturation requires much more effort for make it real (textures are not that real and will quit realism).
Humbly,  i would say the colors and light is some expertise in me. After almost 20 years rendering for constructors and decorators (they are SO dificult for match the colors). I begined in 3ds4 with ms2, where nothing about global ilumination.. xD
It was much more dificult to make real renders.

I am doing this task like i do with my renders. Cleaning all the posible details looking for perfection.
I put invaluable job and experience in it. But of course light and colors will have a subjetive part for everybody. 
Just if anybody think those images from outerra look more fake than previous images. Please look detailed and see the real world in clear days conditions. Discover all the details and colors the world have.
With another conditions i would agree with you.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 02:21:38 am by josem75 »

josem75

« Reply #771 on: March 05, 2016, 01:44:27 am »

I will put another example about those details i am talking about. So everybody can see the diference when you go long range colors and avoid the pale film.

This is where i live. Annd i can tell you the mountains are not looking like this of course. We have 500 m textures and a pale film.
Now you can see what happend. We see more details again when avoid this mid-tone pale layer.
This only can go on the more real side. And here the colors are not oversaturated at all. In my opinion are undersaturated. Here in a clear day the sky is much more saturated blue and mountains are the same.
The only thing is, maybe terrain is darker. But you need to play with autoilumination in terrain for avoid veryd ark shadows. This is the only reason. I try to build a config for every situation, at least until we have some complex system where you can configure atmosphere with java and conditions, like numbers moving on diferent hours, etc.. So you can get less autoilumination terrain  automatically during the day between 12 and 17:00 for example..
Also i am waiting for the tool for iluminate shadows (in this next update) for complete all my settings. Maybe i can slow down this autoilumination terrain.
I will explain those ideas in my final conclussions in my post. And much more images. Those are just some examples.

Also i explained in the other post. We have the Haze on a world less defined (500m textures and less objects). This end in a more monotonous world too.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 01:49:32 am by josem75 »

josem75

« Reply #772 on: March 05, 2016, 02:34:54 am »

Damm that was so long.. Trying to resume.. For simulate cloudy/foggy day Outerra has an IMPRESSIVE configuration almsot by default.. This mid/tone is not a problem, is hability. And in those conditions make a perfect "fog" in those very cloudy days, absolutely stuning like no other i saw..

I am trying to represent just the opposite. A VERY clear day. And here you never go in a point where you avoid this mid/tone layer..  So i did it. The result for me is also stuning for those conditions (clear day). So Outerra is capable of both things if tweak propperly (now needing extra tools from outside at the moment).

In the future maybe this hability of foggy can turn in a clear days with more complex tewaks and an "alive" configuration. I mean, if the day become cloudy, scattering increase automatically, etc. If the day become SO clear, the scattering come lower, and not only that, can go longer color range, have some sharpen filter, etc.  And all moving automatically for match the conditions (cloud, fog, clear, very clear).

I hope i explained it good. Its a complex topic indeed. But amazing at same time.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 02:37:00 am by josem75 »

HiFlyer

« Reply #773 on: March 05, 2016, 09:15:45 am »

I can kind of see both sides..... I play a lot of different games, in fact was just playing dcs, and while it also has a nice representation of atmospheric scattering, the effect is 'pushed back' a bit, and affects terrain that is miles away rather than being quite as 'up close and personal' (hazy) as Outerra scattering can be, already beginning to obscure ground details at a relatively close range.

As has been mentioned before, its a matter of taste, I guess, and it will be good to have some choices.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 02:50:32 pm by HiFlyer »
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #774 on: March 05, 2016, 04:13:48 pm »

Mid Atlantic ridge (parameter: sea_level : -5000.00).

Really nice to see this kind of detail of the ocean floor :)

HiFlyer

« Reply #775 on: March 05, 2016, 05:15:50 pm »

Coolness!

Planets

« Reply #776 on: March 07, 2016, 10:12:29 pm »

...you can edits the water levels in game?

THIS CHANGES EVERTHING

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #777 on: March 08, 2016, 03:37:44 pm »

...you can edits the water levels in game?

THIS CHANGES EVERTHING

In your OT user folder, go to data/earth/planet, and you have different parameters :)

Planets

« Reply #778 on: March 08, 2016, 08:39:31 pm »

In your OT user folder, go to data/earth/planet, and you have different parameters :)

:D

Wow, this means I can play around with the planet surface/features directly, very nice.

Is planets.cfg all I have to backup if I want to return to a default state later? Or are there other folders as well? Like if I want to mess around with the planet without any of the things I've already put down, or the landscape changes I've done, from a clean slate basically, what should I do?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #779 on: March 09, 2016, 01:01:15 am »

Make a new planet folder and copy planet.cfg into it, and edit the new cfg, setting/adding variant_of = "earth". This makes an new planet that shares data of the referenced planet, where you can define new settings without breaking the original one.

You can set just selected properties, for example this would be a config for 10x smaller Earth:
Code: [Select]
name = "Earth"
variant_of = "earth"
comment = "small earth"
radius = 637810
vertcoef = 0.2
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 85