Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Interesting Bugs Series  (Read 12241 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Interesting Bugs Series
« on: June 20, 2010, 03:48:09 am »

I also want to post here some screens of things that didn't come out as expected, nevertheless they are still interesting in a way. First come some older catches I have stored.

Flying around I've encountered this road looking like a dam wall, and I had absolutely no idea how it got here, initially. Then I noticed that an identically shaped road existed few kilometers south and this one got here because of a bug. It even copied the ambient lighting from the original one so it's dark where the original went through a forest, and of course it retained the relative elevation and made the wall and a deep cut into the hill.

Looking from the valley it was a pretty impressive structure, reminded me of The Wall in G.R.R.Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire novels. Unfortunately I can't find the screen, not sure now if I captured it then, probably went straight to his site looking if the next novel in the series came out yet :)

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
Interesting Bugs Series
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 12:32:47 pm »

Very interesting.  This bug shows that Outerra has the potential to render bridges nicely.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel JanouĊĦek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

Abc94

Interesting Bugs Series
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 12:55:55 pm »

Haha it would be interesting driving on that!  :D

Did you find out why it copied itself and made the elevation super high?
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Interesting Bugs Series
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 01:14:26 pm »

It was a bug in the code that was loading road vectors from disk during creation of terrain tile. It actually made 3 additional copies of the road in neighboring terrain tiles. And the way point elevations in roads are stored relative to the minimum tile elevation above sea level, so it ended up being higher since this tile had a higher minimum elevation than the original one.

Driving on that was indeed interesting, first the narrow and deep canyon and then the narrow dizzying ridge :)