Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Question about undersea land  (Read 6323 times)

shinseitom

Question about undersea land
« on: March 07, 2012, 09:03:59 pm »

I haven't read anything about it and can't seem to find an option for it in-game, but is there a way to "turn off" the water either by making it completely invisible or getting rid of it entirely?
What I want to do is wander the seafloor landscape for the hell of it, to look at some of the neat things like trenches and the mid-atlantic ridge.  If the 1km resolution is too low for this to be appreciated, then alright, but if possible I'd love to wander around down there too.

Also, since this is my first post I'll go ahead and say I love it, even if it's mainly google-topographic-earth right now.  Looking forward to seeing what games can be made on it.  I'm hoping for planetary scale RTS/4X myself, like Supreme Commander + Homeworld + SoaSE + Civ or something :P
Not that I expect something that extreme anytime soon, but hopes and dreams can be large, right?

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
Re: Question about undersea land
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 01:07:05 am »

Hmm, Cameni ... I actually Second this request, due to an old novel idea I had with a similar concept (Earth's oceans are gone, more or less).  Would be kind of interesting to see the effect it had on the planet.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 01:47:25 am »

There was a hotkey for this, or several hotkeys that turned the water on/off for debugging purposes. But now I think that I could do another interesting thing - ability to set the global sea level. Now that would be cool. Noted.

shinseitom

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 02:10:57 am »

Well cool, getting to set the sea-level would be awesome.  Simulate the world's oceans at the height of global warming?  Got that.  A wet Moon/Mars?  Got that.  Dry Earth?  Can do that.

If you could do it in real-time too... but maybe that's asking too much?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 02:18:28 am »

Should be doable in real-time. I just need to find all places where I hardcoded the zero level :)