Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wildlife in Outerra:The Game  (Read 23850 times)

hyperpep111

Wildlife in Outerra:The Game
« on: March 06, 2012, 06:41:37 am »

So I've been Having this idea since I read the games backstory.
Animals.
instead of natural disasters, How about something evolved that was faster, Smarter, Better adapted.
Something like this.
And also maybe instead of having a FPS or minecraft style game of which your job is to hunt down those types of creatures and destroy them, you are to avoid those creatures at all costs and also you could have a device that detects when the predators are close and you should evade them. And maybe a stun device that freezes them for a temporary period.
And also there are  plants that are edible so you can gather them and few animals that you can hunt but you have to quickly get them away because then predators will come and chase you away. Maybe even scavengers and future vultures and since it will be a world wide game maybe the community can make some animals that are found in specific areas and worldwide
Sorry if I'm getting a little carried away, but then I think this engine has so much promise and potential.
Oh and also please add your ideas for animals and thanks for reading ;D

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
Re: Wildlife in Outerra:The Game
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 03:28:17 am »

So I've been Having this idea since I read the games backstory.
Animals.
instead of natural disasters, How about something evolved that was faster, Smarter, Better adapted.
Something like this.
And also maybe instead of having a FPS or minecraft style game of which your job is to hunt down those types of creatures and destroy them, you are to avoid those creatures at all costs and also you could have a device that detects when the predators are close and you should evade them. And maybe a stun device that freezes them for a temporary period.
And also there are  plants that are edible so you can gather them and few animals that you can hunt but you have to quickly get them away because then predators will come and chase you away. Maybe even scavengers and future vultures and since it will be a world wide game maybe the community can make some animals that are found in specific areas and worldwide
Sorry if I'm getting a little carried away, but then I think this engine has so much promise and potential.
Oh and also please add your ideas for animals and thanks for reading ;D

Well, for starters, an basic real-world wild life scatered around in a way, the flora will be would be nice ... basic interactions - rabbits chased by foxes/wolves and so on + in water the same. Just an system, that says: you see your prey in an certain distance -chase, so if it sees the predator in this area, it goes wildrunning ... just to make it alive a little, but it has time, also the global flora generation would be needed to apply it (maybe using the same algoritm for both) ...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 04:30:44 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Matt6767

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 09:12:34 am »

you are to avoid those creatures at all costs and also you could have a device that detects when the predators are close and you should evade them.

Bah theres no fun in that.  >:(

If they somehow find a way to include a creature with zombie-like characteristics then I'm all for it.

PytonPago

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 03:51:37 am »

you are to avoid those creatures at all costs and also you could have a device that detects when the predators are close and you should evade them.

Bah theres no fun in that.  >:(

If they somehow find a way to include a creature with zombie-like characteristics then I'm all for it.

Dont worry, im sure they do such content be hand-picked. : P
    Im just prefering the "normal" creatures because it would greatly test the posability and interactions of generated AI in an global scale and at real area-scatter (no one should see a polar bear at saharas, poor thing : P)in Outerra. The flora would be just a static object, but the test of the same approach for an dynamic AI is in my opinion an great thing to ensure for an big and empty planet as this, just for the feeling, that you are not the only inteligent thing on the earth at single player .... (just please, no lumen, that thread scared some hairs of my head too)
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 04:33:03 am »

*cough*

:D
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

Matt6767

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 12:26:20 pm »

*cough*

(just please, no lumen, that thread scared some hairs of my head too)

Heh, those lumpmen were pretty cool in my opinion. Normal creatures are okay but I wouldn't mind seeing odd creatures such as the lumpmen at night. I enjoy a good scare.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 12:47:39 pm by Matt6767 »

Jagerbomber

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 12:54:19 pm »

sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

PytonPago

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 04:17:15 am »

*cough*

(just please, no lumen, that thread scared some hairs of my head too)

Heh, those lumpmen were pretty cool in my opinion. Normal creatures are okay but I wouldn't mind seeing odd creatures such as the lumpmen at night. I enjoy a good scare.

.... just make sure, they dont jump in front of me at a nice dawn sight. : P

PytonPago

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 04:22:30 am »

sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

..and no. No explosions, i like to chill at the side of my most beloved airplanes and as much i dont care to die in a game, so i DO CARE not to searching all the parts of my planes around after that Creeper attack ! : P
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 04:32:06 am by PytonPago »

ObscuredSoS

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 11:36:48 am »

Just a question. Will wildlife be based on the species region?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 01:11:50 pm »

It would be hard to justify if it wasn't :)

Terrain and climate parameters are available and can be used for such things. Species region could be computed based on some given ranges of individual world parameters. In theory it could even go as far as being able to express a "habitat comfort" as a field value, and compute a gradient vector along which it increases. Animals would be then drawn towards it naturally, leading to effects like seasonal migration ...

oh, the potential
oh, the work
:)

giucam

• It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 03:06:31 pm »

Oh right, they could randomly wander, consuming energy for living and gaining energy as a function of the "habitat comfort"  value. Then natural selection will apply :)
Next, you could implement a genetic and evolutionistic algorithm. That would be cool! ;)
ResidualVM 0.1.1 is OUT! www.residualvm.org

ObscuredSoS

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 03:08:24 pm »

It would be hard to justify if it wasn't :)

Terrain and climate parameters are available and can be used for such things. Species region could be computed based on some given ranges of individual world parameters. In theory it could even go as far as being able to express a "habitat comfort" as a field value, and compute a gradient vector along which it increases. Animals would be then drawn towards it naturally, leading to effects like seasonal migration ...

oh, the potential
oh, the work
:)

Well damn. Now I want to play as a bird in Anteworld and migrate around the world! It would be cool if someone made a mod that allows you to play in the shoes of an animal having to survive. Could be... Educational and stuff...

Jagerbomber

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 05:32:17 pm »

I wonder how rare a Lumpman should be...  ;)
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

Allan Davidson

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 07:38:33 am »

Dinosaurs!
Pages: [1] 2