Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Assigning Joystick axis to Plane  (Read 15881 times)

Karamich

• Outerra Fan
Assigning Joystick axis to Plane
« on: March 07, 2012, 09:29:01 am »

Hi,

I think it was mentioned previously as something to be fixed and I wonder if it was fixed in the latest update:  I have 3 controllers plugged in my PC, one being a Joystick and Outerra uses its axis by default for Plane controls however I also have rudder pedals as well as a Throttle quadrant.

Is there a way to edit the assignments in a way to tell Outerra to use either of the 2 other controllers?

When i click on the assignment I either get another automatic value set or an empty field.

What do I have to type in to make it assignable if it is possible indeed

Thanks!

The best thing after flying is landing

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: Assigning Joystick axis to Plane
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 12:02:39 pm »

I also have three controllers on my PC and in OuTerra when I am setting up the controls would take my clutch pedal for EVERY control. So I have to press and hold it down and assign the other keys and axis I want. Think a dirty pot is responsible. Likely the value is bouncing just a minute amount all the time.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 12:28:31 pm »

You have to move with the desired axis in desired direction and there should appear Axis#+ or Axis#-. With multiple joysticks, the axis is prefixed by joy number. There was an issue with Windows XP and USB device detection, but it's now fixed.

Zeos, the problem with clutch/brake pedals has been addressed a week ago, did you try it with new versions? It now takes only the direction of axis movement into account.

Karamich

• Outerra Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 09:06:12 pm »

You have to move with the desired axis in desired direction and there should appear Axis#+ or Axis#-. With multiple joysticks, the axis is prefixed by joy number. There was an issue with Windows XP and USB device detection, but it's now fixed.

Zeos, the problem with clutch/brake pedals has been addressed a week ago, did you try it with new versions? It now takes only the direction of axis movement into account.

Hi Cameni

I tried (with latest update tonight) the assignments as you mentioned but it does not capture the axis of the controllers when I move them. Not even the main controller. Just when I click with the mouse in the value area, it turns to another value or with right mouse click it errases the values.

Cheers

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 09:59:45 pm »

I will try again but I think the problem is more hardware on my end being finicky.

I tried (with latest update tonight) the assignments as you mentioned but it does not capture the axis of the controllers when I move them. Not even the main controller. Just when I click with the mouse in the value area, it turns to another value or with right mouse click it erases the values

That is what mine was doing. Try repositioning all your axis' to there extremes before clicking to set. Also if you knew which one WAS binding you could focus on that one.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 02:00:46 am »

Click with the mouse in the value area (for the function you want to map), it changes color to something reddish, and then you move the axis you want there in the direction you want. No longer needed to put it to extreme values before clicking, now it simply scans joystick axes and when it sees one changing the value by some threshold (1/4 of the axis swing), it returns it as the one you want to be bound.

lonewulf47

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 04:57:16 pm »

I just found that my controller settings are not store properly anymore. I use a Logitech Stick and a Saitek Throttle Quadrant. While the Logitech axes are properly recalled at startup the Saitek axes "throttle" and "mixture" are recalled without the prefix "1:"and thus are equal to the logitech axes. I have to reassign the throttle and mixture after each restart.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 05:12:10 pm »

Will check it.

Karamich

• Outerra Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 10:03:55 pm »

Click with the mouse in the value area (for the function you want to map), it changes color to something reddish, and then you move the axis you want there in the direction you want. No longer needed to put it to extreme values before clicking, now it simply scans joystick axes and when it sees one changing the value by some threshold (1/4 of the axis swing), it returns it as the one you want to be bound.

I tried your tutorial but what I see when I click in the value area, the red flickers/appears fast and disappears and a value othern than default is set (i.e: 2:axis7+) or something like that. So I think there is something not working when I click on the value because the red is not appearing as you said, just a flicker of red and it goes

Thanks again!

MK

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 01:25:42 am »

That would mean that axis7 is sending values as if someone was exercising with it. Now the axes are sometimes oscillating between two values, but for this we've got a threshold, and you have to swing the axis by 1/4 of value range for it to be accepted. So there's a problem or a bug.

What type of joystick it is?

Karamich

• Outerra Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 09:20:33 am »

That would mean that axis7 is sending values as if someone was exercising with it. Now the axes are sometimes oscillating between two values, but for this we've got a threshold, and you have to swing the axis by 1/4 of value range for it to be accepted. So there's a problem or a bug.

What type of joystick it is?

The main joystick is a Logitech Wingman Force 3D, I have also the Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals and the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Throttle quadrant connected.

I need to verrify which one is the Controller #2 and see if it's sending noise or spikes to make Outerra record the values

Thanks
MK
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 04:45:01 pm by Karamich »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 09:21:54 am »

I just found that my controller settings are not store properly anymore. I use a Logitech Stick and a Saitek Throttle Quadrant. While the Logitech axes are properly recalled at startup the Saitek axes "throttle" and "mixture" are recalled without the prefix "1:"and thus are equal to the logitech axes. I have to reassign the throttle and mixture after each restart.
I tested it and it works as expected. That could mean that the iomap.cfg file is not written to disk successfully. That can happen because the app crashes earlier than it manages to write the changed configuration, or that outerra.exe doesn't have sufficient privileges to write the file. What's your data directory and UAC setting in Windows? It may be that outerra.exe cannot write the file under UAC when your data directory points to program files.

lonewulf47

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 04:36:18 pm »

I don't think that it is a matter of access rights as I see that iomap.cfg is updated and accepts changes of other cotrollers. It must be an issue with the throttle quadrant itself however I can't find any explanation as it is a common HID controller with no special features - actually the same kind as the joystick.

Here's what I set on the controller page:

and here's what the part within the "plane" section reads for the throttle and mixture controllers (the axis controller reads exactly the values for primary and secondary as in the above picture)

{
         "name" : "throttle",
         "bindings" : [{"event_name":"Axis2","device_name":"INDEV_HID1","invert":true}]
      },
      {
         "name" : "throttle_up",
         "bindings" : [{"event_name":"Insert"}]
      },
      {
         "name" : "throttle_down",
         "bindings" : [{"event_name":"Delete"}]
      },
      {
         "name" : "mixture",
         "bindings" : [{"event_name":"Aaxis4"},{"event_name":"Axis0","device_name":"INDEV_HID1","invert":true}]
      },
      {
         "name" : "mixture_up",
         "bindings" : [{"event_name":"Home"}]
      },
      {
         "name" : "mixture_down",
         "bindings" : [{"event_name":"End"}]
      },

Apart from the strange entries in the first line of each the throttle and the mixture controller there are also no entries for the primary controller axis as seen in the picture above. Maybe this gives you a clue what happens here?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 12:27:06 am »

Thanks, this should help. Asymmetrical throttle-type values are special, they get transformed from/to the config, and there probably the error occurs. I previously debugged the normal values.

lonewulf47

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 02:41:39 am »

I see. Maybe another hint. The assignment for the car is like this:

and the relevant entry in the iomap.cfg:
{
         "name" : "accelerate",
         "bindings" : [{"event_name":"Axis2-","device_name":"INDEV_HID1"},{"event_name":"W"},{"event_name":"Up"}]
      },
      {
         "name" : "reverse",
         "bindings" : [{"event_name":"Axis2+","device_name":"INDEV_HID1"},{"event_name":"S"},{"event_name":"Down"}]

However up to now I could never achieve reverse - neither with the keyboard key nor with the controller axis.
Pages: [1] 2