Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Driving Simulator  (Read 14206 times)

Luishi5k0

Driving Simulator
« on: March 07, 2012, 09:32:23 am »

I know we have the truck in the current version, but my question is: how will future ground vehicles be expanded?

I mean, will a Lamborghini fit with the current driving model, or is there a planned simulator model that will be implemented in the same way that jbsim is used as a flight system?

Also will there be steering wheel support (with force feedback)?

I am kind of sick of racing on tracks and it would be nice to take a realistic drive in a car of my choice on a mountain side road in Outerra.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: Driving Simulator
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 12:13:25 pm »

I got sick of racing tracks years ago. rFactor luckily has some nice sprint runs and Long tracks like the Targa Florio. The current ground physics are calculated with the Bullet Physics engine and the tatra in case you didn't notice is very arcade in the way the handling, center of gravity and torque curve are coded. In the future Cameni said the vehicle physics would be exported out to moddable files where those things could be adjusted but I am not sure if that Bullet will handle high speed physical interactions as complex as other prebuilt racing sim engines. The fact that the tatra slides across the ground when your stopped is an indicator of how things are currently.

Oh to answer your question: yes, other vehicles are planned and so is FFB at some point.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Tfirma

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 12:48:57 pm »

There is yet to be seen a high quality car Driving Simulator (open road/environment). Outerra's tessellated roads suits, unlike most every other games/sims roads.
Only.. what about deformation? :) (spinning on softer ground or driving in mud, snow, sand and such)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 01:24:27 pm by Tfirma »

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 01:26:40 pm »

Cameni stated that car and truck tires will indeed deform the terrain. I haven't gone into the real details about grip factors on different surfaces. I would say this has more hope that any other engine in terms of an actual SIMULATOR environment for cars.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Tfirma

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 06:43:47 am »

(should have used advanced search to get all, thanks for response).

Anyway, I think something with.. not the whole earth but one or more locations. Something like (but may be a little more free than) "Test drive unlimited(1)" but with good physics and vastly higher operation functionality like "Flight simulator X" + higher detail and tessellation based in Outerra. Varied and convincing traffic is also RARE. "City Car Driving" (aka russ "3d instructor") is a little interesting there with it's crowded traffic.. I'm rambling.

claydigger

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 12:48:10 am »

You guys should check out Rigs of Rods and see how they handle car physics.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 01:30:31 am »

How a real Driving Simulator handles the big guns..