Outerra Apps > Outerra World Simulator

Initial thoughts on Outerra and Anteworld

<< < (2/4) > >>

cameni:

--- Quote from: PTTG on March 09, 2012, 12:51:38 pm ---I have to say I'm really looking forward to the climate/biome expansion. In fact, if you don't mind me asking a few questions about that, are you planning to have things like weather? Any thoughts on things like the "dynamic snow" that Skyrim was supposed to have? And what sort of data are you planning to use for these climate maps?

--- End quote ---
(reusing a fb post) :)
Global eco systems will be created and matched with MODIS world land type database (500m resolution, but will be procedurally refined like the elevation data), and then color-matched with Blue Marble colors.
Weather engine should draw from some rough data, which could be either generated or provided by an external service.
/fb

I don't know what Skyrim's dynamic snow meant to be, but we want to have the snow coverage changing with day of year, computed using latitude, elevation and current sun declination, adjusted by a static differential map that accounts for things like the effect of distance from oceans, oceanic currents and such. Actually, what I just described is about computing the average temperature, but together with precipitation data it will form the snow data.

PTTG:
Thanks. To explain the Skyrim thing, Bethesda said there would be "dynamic snow" so that you could watch items left outside get covered in snow particles over time. Of course no one believed it and it didn't happen, but that was what was expected.

I for one am really excited about snow cover being simulated. Will it actually deform the height map in any way?

SpaceFlight:
About Skyrim, they showed seasonal foliage (the first feature shown in the video) and footprints you can leave in the snow (2:46-2:48) in this video:

This is stuff that may come via patch/DLC to Skyrim at a later date (ranged weapon killcam comes with the next patch I think).

Would be nice to have seasonal foliage and footprints your character/car leaves in the snow in OT as well.

Luishi5k0:
I do hope the clouds look very good. Good clouds could take Outerra from awesome to amazing, especially if they cast ground shadows and shift around. They also have to look good as you go through and above them, all while keeping performance good. Sounds like a tall order but at the same time it's important for the game.

Most clouds in other games just look like ass. I can't think of any good real time clouds.

FSX

MF

These look okay, but still doesn't seem quite there.

Jagerbomber:
Yeah, volumetric looks like the way to go, but I hope they can look a bit better than the 3rd video.  They look a little too much like just blobs of white and you can't really see any detail on them.  Is adding detail to the volumetric method even possible?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version