Outerra Engine > Development screen shots and videos

time of day test

<< < (2/5) > >>

angrypig:

--- Quote from: RaikoRaufoss ---
--- Quote from: angrypig ---Postprocess will only suppres the noise.
--- End quote ---
Silly me. =D Will we see a video with the evening sun in it soon?
--- End quote ---

Definitely. :)

Abc94:
Is the sun going to be an actual light source that moves around the world, or does the amount of light and shadows generated depend on what "time" it is in a certain area?

Either way it looks AMAZING!!  Beautiful!!  

I can't wait to see games made on this engine!  :D :D

cameni:

--- Quote from: Abc94 ---Is the sun going to be an actual light source that moves around the world, or does the amount of light and shadows generated depend on what "time" it is in a certain area?
--- End quote ---
Well, seems to me like the same thing. :)

But the answer on the first part of the question is yes, there will be day/night cycle, and of course the Sun is in different position when viewed around the world.
If the second part of the question asked if the engine is being run with the light frozen as in certain time of day, then the answer is yes too :D
But that's only temporary because the Sun direction is currently at a fixed position, as specified in the configuration file.

Abc94:

--- Quote from: Abc94 ---Is the sun going to be an actual light source that does not move, or does the amount of light and shadows generated depend on what "time" it is in a certain area?

(Fixed)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I didn't phrase that question very well at all!  :)

What I meant was if you are in one area during the afternoon when the sun is in the middle of the sky, then go to another area where the sun is setting, are you actually looking at the same sun?  Is the sun a fixed light source?  Is the time of day determined by which position of rotation the Earth is at?  (Can planets in Outerra rotate?)

So I guess what I am asking is that if it is evening in one area, is it evening because of the area's angle to the light source, or is it because the engine determines what time it should be and shows the sun at the correct position?

cameni:

--- Quote from: Abc94 ---So I guess what I am asking is that if it is evening in one area, is it evening because of the area's angle to the light source, or is it because the engine determines what time it should be and shows the sun at the correct position?
--- End quote ---
Somehow, this still means the same thing to me :D

Yes it's evening because the angle to sun from zenith is large, and thus atmospheric scattering computes evening colors. But of course, sun position can be set by what time it is, so .. .

Maybe the confusion stems from what a sun actually is. Was there no atmosphere, Sun would be just a bright star, a point light. Actually if you rise up in the engine, into the thinner atmosphere, apparent sun gradually shrinks until it's just a star. It's the atmospheric scattering that makes both the blue sky and the big circle of light. Sky is not a texture in Outerra, the colors are actually produced by computing the atmospheric scattering for given point on the sky or on the terrain. This also allows to change the parameters of atmosphere to simulate denser or thinner ones and varying aerosol density and such.

On the planet at various places you see the same sun vector, but the interpretation whether the sun is at fixed position and the planet rotates or if the sun vector is set to reflect current rotation angle of the planet is irrelevant - it looks the same, just different coordinate frames are used in our minds when we think of it :)
So in that sense, the planets in Outerra can rotate .. while not rotating at all :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version