Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: time of day test  (Read 37422 times)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
time of day test
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2010, 04:52:55 am »

Quote from: cameni
Actually there's no limit, just like we are changing reference frames on Earth to keep a good precision with floating point values, we can change the reference frames in space to have both good precision and covering a huge space.

But let's say that without changing the reference frame, and keeping 0.001m precision everywhere, we can get to ±2,251,799,814 kilometers from Earth. After that the precision will start getting worse, like 0.002m for another 2,251,799,814 kilometers and so on.

That really throws a wrench into you asking for a demo idea to show-off all the engines capabilities. Seeing as space is "practically" endless to the point of absurdity.

Maybe that Power of 10 video done in-game.... (might be too spore-ish) http://www.fugly.com/videos/4467/powers-of-ten-video.html
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Abc94

time of day test
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 12:46:23 pm »

That's a pretty cool video ZeosPantera.  I too would like to see a video of surface to space transition!

There is actually another planetary engine out there called the I-Nova Engine( http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=26 )  that is capable of generating 200 billion star systems.  As well, you are able to fly down to the planets in a spacecraft and land on them.  That's some pretty amazing stuff right there.

I think Outerra has the better graphics.  They both have physics systems, but Infiniti's is meant more for space I think.
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
time of day test
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2010, 01:13:41 pm »

Quote from: Abc94
I think Outerra has the better graphics.  They both have physics systems, but Infiniti's is meant more for space I think.

The Physics system they are using in outerra is completely modular. I think currently its bullet but they said any physics engine you wanted to use could be put in.

Back to topic sort of. So Cameni, If you can get that far out does that mean the sun exists in the current state of the engine? and is it 1,391,980 km in diameter and projecting its light to the surface of the earth and causing that marvelous sunset?
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
time of day test
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 01:50:26 pm »

Quote from: Abc94
They both have physics systems, but Infiniti's is meant more for space I think.
Yeah we are more holding on to the Earth :)
That's not the only difference though.

Last I've read Infinity has precision problems with details below 1m in resolution. Dunno really why, but it's a different architecture, Perlin noise artificial fractals and all.
For us the ground resolution is essential, but we are only slowly making our way to space.
And of course creating the terrain using real world data opens up other potential applications like the simulators and more.

Quote from: ZeosPantera
So Cameni, If you can get that far out does that mean the sun exists in the current state of the engine? and is it 1,391,980 km in diameter and projecting its light to the surface of the earth and causing that marvelous sunset?
No there's no Sun as such. Who needs a sun, let there be light :)
Practically there are only the sun rays, upon entering the atmosphere.

It could be added if we were doing space something, and I hope we will. When we are finished with Earth (that reads like never, so let's say when we are across the river :)), we would like to add Moon and Mars as bodies where you could land, again refined down to ground level detail. Basically, we want to be spreading from Earth like in reality we will (I hope). In the end, who knows, maybe there will be other star systems with artificial planets. We have several ideas already how to generate random planets so they look more realistic and natural, as we really dislike the way they look after generated by whatever variant of Perlin noise (that everybody else is using).

But now let's get back to digging in the dirt. :p

Alen Bajrovic

time of day test
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2010, 01:44:36 am »

i just open the facebook group Outerra game engine , i want to upload some pics in group , do I have permission?

Alen Bajrovic

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
time of day test
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 02:03:00 am »

Quote from: Alen Bajrovic
i just open the facebook group Outerra game engine , i want to upload some pics in group , do I have permission?
OK, go on :)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
time of day test
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2010, 02:03:36 am »

Quote from: Alen Bajrovic

They have mentioned previously they really don't want too much attention right now. Just imagine working on something this awesome and having 20,000 people breathing down your neck to release this and adjust that. Better to work in private until you are ready to actually use the publicity.

EDIT:

OK, go on :)

On the other hand.. Give it a shot.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
time of day test
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2010, 02:10:16 am »

Can't really block fans. Apart from that I don't think Facebook people would be more interested than the flight sim people after they saw the first video with Cessna.

But I may be terribly wrong :O

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
time of day test
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2010, 03:01:53 am »

But I may be terribly wrong :O... terribly wrong... TERRIBLY WRONG!

Fingers crossed you are.

Just in-case you should disguise part of the forum and frontend as a bird watching site. A bad one.
Pages: 1 [2]