Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Space Engine  (Read 12864 times)

Luishi5k0

Space Engine
« on: March 10, 2012, 02:54:00 pm »

I'm sure this has been brought up here at some point, but I wanted to hear your take of Space Engine.

http://en.spaceengine.org/

It preternaturally simulates the entire universe. It lacks the close up detail and trees and tools that Outerra has, but it does do the WHOLE UNIVERSE, which is a plus. I hope some day Outerra will be able to do something similar to this.

Very amazing.

[deleted]

Re: Space Engine
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 03:22:07 pm »

It's completely free and has more planets ? I believe cameni is scared now :S

EDIT: you can make planets too ! Worst thing is that I don't see any vehicles or that kind of things (buildings, roads, etc.) which is an important thing. I don't understand why but outerra will be better ? Mhmhhm....
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 03:34:43 pm by secret1962 »

Luishi5k0

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 03:46:10 pm »

The maker (there is only one guy) of Space Engine is going to add space vehicles in the next update it seems. No land vehicles for now. It does preternaturally make all of the planets. It's super cool to explore space. You can find some amazing things in it. It makes the universe feel giant. Like I said though, it has no trees, doesn't look good up close, water sucks, and it crashes a decent amount (though so does Outerra for me on my 2xx series cards...).

They both have their advantages. It would be amazing if we could combine them.

[deleted]

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 03:49:22 pm »

The terrain detail also sucks, and you'd see it if there would be more light, like at day.

Matt6767

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 04:13:05 pm »

Meh, hes got nothing on the Outerra engine once they add the model importer and vehicle configurator.

SpaceFlight

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 04:58:18 am »

I think it is worth checking out if you are into planets and galaxies. It is more like an astronomy simulator.

I-Novae engine looks also interesting, it seems to have much better rendering quality and more deatail, but it is not testable yet.
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

[deleted]

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 12:43:40 pm »

The terrain data of space engine is around of 5 and half GBs versus the 12 GBs of outerra. There must be a reason of these 7 more GBs in outerra, no ?

Luishi5k0

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 01:19:32 pm »

Outerra has the specific height values of the earth in it. That's what takes up the space. As for Space Engine, it's just filled with a lot of textures and maps that all get preternaturally put together. It's kind of a different system all together.