Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tunnels and Caves.  (Read 35704 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Tunnels and Caves.
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 01:19:58 am »

Quote from: Spudly
Does this mean that you could actively carve your own tunnels by hand?
Eventually, yes. Normally there will be a design mode where you can draw tunnel paths and then have the generator build them, but it can be also made to work incrementally in a game mode.

mrsquish

Re: Tunnels and Caves.
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 06:12:03 pm »

Not quite on topic, but along a similar vein. Will it be possible to push and or pull the terrain to model things like bull dozers etc.

Edding3000

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 07:00:24 pm »

Not quite on topic, but along a similar vein. Will it be possible to push and or pull the terrain to model things like bull dozers etc.
I cannot answer this 100% sure, but i guess: yes.

monks

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 06:04:47 pm »

I imagine it's fairly straightforward to generate tunnels procedurally from vector input (he says!  ;D )- especially if you had a design mode. But, why not initially save yourself the work and just import from external formats? I can see though that most people would want an internal editor (maybe in the editor you could see the above ground location and how the underground stuff relates to the position- with some control over the opacity of the overlay). Procedurals on vector input I think is the only way you're going to be able to generate content on Outerra scale.

monks

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 04:16:02 am »

... i just got a little thought, as there will be caves and for antenworld there will be a mining-system needed, it would be interesting to simulate raw resources. Making a set of nice textures of several resources (coal, ferites, antracites etc.), wich would be possible to mine. As for my idea, if textures made very nicely, i would like to have some kind of information-captions existing. Just looking at the right texture from a limited distance, pressing the caption-key and it would show the type of it ( Magnetit --- (Fe2+/Fe3+)2O4 ) where the rough chemical composition would be nice to have with it. It could be an overall OT function showing such captions for objects and other stuff, maybe even a little funny or sarcastic ones by special, or random objects (looking at dirt - "dirt, dirt, dirt and some more dirt. VERY interesting to look upon." and such  :D). Maybe even a series depending on how often you look at a the same object. Some interesting info about some mined minerals/resources whyte photos : http://www.fns.uniba.sk/index.php?id=4121 ... Would be even more interesting and informative to go mine some Antimonit than just saying stibium, sulfur, iron, and so on, whyle getting the people and community get some chem. composition feeling of reality.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 04:21:43 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

monks

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2013, 04:49:01 am »

Yes that would add another dimension to the game and you could extend that to other resources such as fungus... Maybe more useful for a fantasy type game for alchemic ingredients and stuff. ;)

monks

Sunnyyello

• Nothing to see here, move along...
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 06:55:08 pm »

It would be pretty cool to build my house on top of an underground fortified bunker...Bruce Wayne style!  8)
I could waste my time training a noob but the end result would just be a really well trained noob...

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 02:34:00 am »

It would be pretty cool to build my house on top of an underground fortified bunker...Bruce Wayne style!  8)

And hawing the Maginot line for a perimeter fence!  ;D ... would be nice to have stalaktits/stalagnits being generated too. If the mineral-texture way would be made, it could depend on calcium minerals presence in caves. ... would simplify the Dobšiná style cave creation  :D.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Pages: 1 [2]