Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 31

Author Topic: (old) 0.7.11 version branch  (Read 181679 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Latest version: 0.7.11.3049
« Reply #150 on: March 29, 2012, 08:02:47 am »

I don't see the logic of the coloring. Shouldn't it rather be blue for the segments before and aft the marked node and not the two segments after the node ?
I think I'll remove that crosspiece in the segment: it's not two pieces after the node, it's actually just a single segment. I'm showing the road segment as two pieces to show its curvature; I could have chosen to render it with 3 o 4 pieces as well. But that crosspiece makes it look like there was an actual node.

The logic of the coloring is that the waypoint defines properties for both the point itself (the position of the spline node, widths, slant ...), but also for the segment of the road that follows (road type, marking ...). So, when selecting a node, I'm highlighting the node but also the segment that will be affected if you change some of the properties.

7HUND3R

« Reply #151 on: March 29, 2012, 09:33:01 am »

What new method?

Ok no problem sorry, my mistake.

lonewulf47

« Reply #152 on: March 29, 2012, 09:48:28 am »

I think I'll remove that crosspiece in the segment: it's not two pieces after the node, it's actually just a single segment. I'm showing the road segment as two pieces to show its curvature; I could have chosen to render it with 3 o 4 pieces as well. But that crosspiece makes it look like there was an actual node.
Thanks for explaining however I wouldn't remove that. It's very helpful when creating a curve to preview the curvature a bit more refined. Maybe a more distinct difference to the real segment boundaries would help e.g. a dashed line.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #153 on: March 29, 2012, 10:19:13 am »

Too late! :D

But just the crosspiece was removed, not the two pieces. Looks like this:

Sam

• nearby
« Reply #154 on: March 29, 2012, 01:33:15 pm »

Great!
Everything is alright now! Thanks for your hard work Cameni.

With the two different colors to build proper roads it's now verry comfortable.  8)

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 02:53:06 pm by Sam »
Resident of Outerra

lonewulf47

« Reply #155 on: March 29, 2012, 02:13:26 pm »

Too late! :D
Ok, no worries. Looks reasonable that way  :) !

Jagerbomber

« Reply #156 on: March 29, 2012, 03:03:45 pm »

Interesting.  I noticed that it now creates real points between the points you place (as well as the false points between those).  The middle (false point/orange) lines still seem to align with the terrain when you make a new road which is good, but they do not line up with the terrain by using the align button, probably because they aren't selectable. ?  You have to make it into a selectable point to be able to align it with the terrain. 

This picture is of what happens when you delete a placed point and turn it into a false point.  It cuts through.  And the align button does nothing unless it's a selectable point.  I'm undecided if they should be able to be aligned with align button without being selectable.  I guess perhaps they shouldn't because if the align button was to effect, say, the points (including the middle point) in the selected segment, some people might not want that because they only wanted to align the point they have selected.

You know what?... This is a pretty pointless issue since you can make the unselectable points into selectable ones anyways, so... whatever.  :P ::)
Maybe there could be an align point button, align segment button, and align entire road button (or option)?

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 03:05:21 pm by Jagerbomber »
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #157 on: March 29, 2012, 03:19:28 pm »

LOL, I got lost somewhere in the second paragraph :D

Anyway, since I have in the meantime removed the middle crosspiece that looked like a waypoint when in reality it was just a ... way how the segment was rendered, there will be hopefully no more confusion as to what is and is not a point.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #158 on: March 29, 2012, 03:21:38 pm »

Does that mean it will no longer align to the terrain there when creating a new road?  :-[
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #159 on: March 29, 2012, 03:30:50 pm »

Eh :D
Look at the picture:

See, no virtual points. Only the points you placed. These align to terrain. When you need a finer alignment, make smaller steps. Or you can subdivide where needed (using ins), and then align.

By the way, the align button aligns to the terrain as it is, including the very same road you are aligning. You should delete the road, align it and make again. Alternatively you can use the hide road button to temporarily hide all roads in tile, align to terrain and then make again.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #160 on: March 29, 2012, 03:37:42 pm »

:-\ More steps...
(not quite sure what you're showing me in the picture.  Not easy to see terrain alignment.)

Personally, so far, I'd like it to align as much as reasonably possible when I first make the road.  I think I'd also like a button that aligns every point on road.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 03:41:33 pm by Jagerbomber »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #161 on: March 29, 2012, 03:40:45 pm »

I really don't know where's the problem, or what do you want to achieve.
Understand - there never were more points that you actually placed, it was just what you thought it did.

Thinking about it - do you want the app to insert denser points automatically for you? An adjustable max-distance between waypoints?

Jagerbomber

« Reply #162 on: March 29, 2012, 03:42:37 pm »

I think that could be good.  Just make sure they align with the terrain.  :P  An align all button might be nice as well.

(I edited my previous post while you were posting.)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 03:45:12 pm by Jagerbomber »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #163 on: March 29, 2012, 03:53:14 pm »

Placed points align with the terrain by default, even the automatically inserted ones should. But the manually inserted (when pressing Ins key) don't, they just subdivide the segment.

Align button aligns all road waypoints even now, but as I said, if you don't remove the road first, it will align to the road itself. Which isn't much useful, so maybe it should make 3 steps at once - unmake, align, make. But since the road making is an asynchronous process, it's harder to program it from ui that's working synchronously, and that's why it wasn't done so in the first place.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #164 on: March 29, 2012, 04:18:58 pm »

Align button aligns all road waypoints even now.
Oh it does.  I guess even while testing this stuff out, it didn't seem like it did, partially because the button does not align anything in between the selectable waypoints including not aligning the fake/mid points.  The midpoints do align when making a fresh road with no edits to points you first lay out.

Oh wait... You know what's happening with what I'm doing?  The false/mid point "created" when I delete a selectable waypoint does not align to the ground, it just cuts right through.  Still... The align to terrain button should align the mid points as well, but if they don't exist anymore...

I'm not sure what your answer was in your earlier post.  With the removal of the midpoint lines, does it no longer align anywhere in between the selectable waypoints when making a new road with fresh unedited waypoints?

I'm kind of confused.  Did you make where the old midpoints used to be (which did align to the terrain before with a fresh road layout) into selectable points, but kept the line visual for in between the selectable waypoints?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 04:41:47 pm by Jagerbomber »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 31