Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: About the trucks..  (Read 24429 times)

[deleted]

About the trucks..
« on: March 14, 2012, 09:49:04 am »

Well, it's the time to tell it (no one noticed it ?!)
With the keyboard the truck is completely uncontrollable (way too slow to turn and to return to normal position, I go out of the roads too many times).
Then yesterday I thought of using the joystick with it, and magic ! Now the truck is way too fast to turn :D Kinda better (weird isn't it ?), even if it's a shame to drive a truck with the joystick.
I don't have a steering wheel, so, maybe you could make it faster to return to normal position ? If I go left too much, then it takes a lot of time to make it go forward.
This is all.

P.S. really no one noticed it or you all have a steering wheel ?

SpaceFlight

Re: About the trucks..
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 09:59:00 am »

It has been brought up sometime during the closed beta test.

Btw, you can also use a gamepad (like Xbox 360 pc for example).
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 11:40:04 pm »

I use a wheel but also have the keys bound. The keys are really really slow but so is my 900° of steering rotation.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

[deleted]

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 10:20:56 am »

And who hasn't got any controller, joystick, gamepad (yes, I have the gamepad btw) how will be playing it ? With the weird keyboard system ? You have to think at every possibility if you really want to promote this game/engine !!!

Oldtown

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 10:50:30 am »

I tried different kinds of controllers and I am still not very satisfied. At first my Logitech Force 3D Pro ... even small steering makes the truck go crazy. Then I downloaded some really cool Software so I was able to use my PS3-Gamecontroller on my PC ... worked well but the steering problem that secret has described remains the same.
The steering with keyboard felt in some way good and felt like the steering in Armed Assault ... but we are here to improve these things. So here are my suggestions ...

First of all and very important is a DEADZONE. Some Sticks are really nervous in the central area so a user defined deadzone is needed. Also some other user defined settings could help to improve the steering of vehicles.
User defined steering curves and saturation settings could be helpful. And to go one step further it would be great that every user can define steering settings like the buttons now for every vehicle seperatly. But not only for a different kind of vehicle like a plane or a heli I mean for every single vehicle. I know one game where you can do it and I hope more will follow!
Hope you can understand what I mean ...

Greetz Oldie

duxet

• Anteworld - polska strona
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 01:42:51 pm »

I think so that "wheel rotation smoothing" should be disabled when using gamepad or wheel. And should be faster when using keyboard. That's my opinion.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 03:24:22 pm »

Well, I can boost the steering speed of the truck, that's no problem. But when I look at it now, and realize that I'm steering a heavy truck, I'm not sure if steering much faster would be really realistic.

The steering speed now depends on vehicle speed, it's harder to turn the wheel when you are going fast. So there are two coefficients - the steering speed at vehicle speed=0, and the reduction coefficient.

Luishi5k0

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 04:26:17 pm »

But unlike most games, when you let go of the turn key, the wheel takes its sweet time to come back to neutral, causing it to be very hard to steer at decent speeds. When I let go, I expect to go straight almost immediately, but instead I keep turning.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 01:15:32 am »

That is the problem when your not ready for SIMULATION! Instant return to center would be terrible. Maybe what your expecting.. But not akin to proper simulation....

I wonder if angrypig can make it so you can steer by holding a modifier and moving your mouse around in a steering wheel motion on your desk? Wonder how accurate that would be. Certainly more realistic than keys.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

zuluknob

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 02:23:53 am »

oh god please don't make this into a fail of a game like city bus simulator.....have a hardcore nerd setup and a gamer setup for all cars/planes/ships or this could be a very niche game ie:- sod all sales. personally i want to be able to play with keyboard/mouse i don't want to be swapping controllers every time i use something different. games tend to do best if they use wheels for driving games, joysticks for flight sims, pad for platform games and keyboard/mouse for first person games(regardless of loads of console players on fps games, pit them against a keyboard/mouse and they die die die without autoaim). anterra would be a pain in the arse to play with joystick never-mind a wheel given that you go around on foot. the mouse steering is a good plan, i have played a few games over the years that have used it well.
Windows 10 Pro
Amd fx-8350
2x Amd r9 280x
16gig ram
Hisense 58" 4k3D TV
blah blah blah...

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 02:44:08 am »

I have a keyboard, mouse, Wheel, Three pedals, Custom Six speed shifter AND a joystick.. All accessible all the time and all bound to do SOMETHING in outerra.

You know.. the game steel battalion came with a custom controller..  Why not outerra?

lonewulf47

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 04:13:50 am »

You might remember my contribution here : http://www.outerra.com/forum/index.php?topic=734.15 Assigning and calibrating control axes is a major issue in any simulator and should not be underestimated. But it needs a general philosophy behind and not just a bit of nit-picking on one single axis... ;D

Oldtown

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 04:16:39 am »

Well, I can boost the steering speed of the truck, that's no problem. But when I look at it now, and realize that I'm steering a heavy truck, I'm not sure if steering much faster would be really realistic.

The steering speed now depends on vehicle speed, it's harder to turn the wheel when you are going fast. So there are two coefficients - the steering speed at vehicle speed=0, and the reduction coefficient.

But when I use a Joystick or pad it seems more easy to turn on fast speeds ... with keyboard it isn't possible that way. And btw ... the keyboard feels until now more realistic but it is very hard to keep a line in a long curve. But thats normal.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 05:06:57 am »

Perhaps they can make it so a device can be identified as a joystick or gamepad analog Vs a wheel. That way you can push the thumb stick all the way and it won't just insta-turn like crazy. Sort of a built in lag feature but still analog controlled for finite adjustment.

jeffmorris

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 06:03:40 am »

ZeosPantera, Where's the steering wheel and gear shifter? Vehicles with manual steering usually auto-center when you let go of the steering wheel. I don't think that vehicles with power steering auto-center.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4