Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: About the trucks..  (Read 24446 times)

zuluknob

Re: About the trucks..
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2012, 10:40:32 am »

Perhaps cameni means that for the sake of keeping players on a similar level when in multiplayer. I agree I that respect. If I want to take the time to race my stimulator vehicle that I set up versus an arcade player, I'd want an advantage of some form on my side.

easy to sort out. only allow players with the same type of controls to race. nobbling the key/mouse players for one condition(racing) is stupid and is just asking for complaints/bad reviews
Windows 10 Pro
Amd fx-8350
2x Amd r9 280x
16gig ram
Hisense 58" 4k3D TV
blah blah blah...

PRiME

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2012, 04:59:58 pm »

Be nice to have gearing as well. A game I played recently did this quite well thought was a tank game, check it out T34 Vs Tiger were it had you controlling revs to enter each gear etc.. Was kinda fun and not too hard to grasp.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2012, 02:14:58 am »

Wow, I got this place into a tizzy. Well I will just sit back here and let you people bloody yourselves for my amusement now.. 

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

zuluknob

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2012, 10:40:50 am »

arrrrrrg! lol. correct me if i'm wrong but anteworld is set 300 years in the future and the colony ship leaves earth in 2100. current projections say that there will be sod all oil left by then. cars will be electric with no need for gears. stupidly they are still using a motor/gearbox and the rest of the drivechain instead of using the electric wheel http://www.e-traction.eu/ combined with http://www.chorusmotors.gi/ tech. so who needs a gearbox wasting energy?

you would think that a colony ship would have the best proven tech available at the time either as hardware or plans for such. look how far we have come in the last hundred years. tech that is just on its way now will be very old news. such as just the other day this http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46721546/ns/technology_and_science-innovation/#.T2XoAtUl6So was revealed. by 2100 that tech will be well and truly sorted. i would imagine that most homes in the first world would have a 3d printer at nano scale or better by 2100.

i do realize that the outerra has already dropped of most if not all of the colonists and hardware but quite a bit would have to remain for repairs to the ship. just as the colony's went silent one by one so to would have earth and the crew would know something was up if not exactly what happened and would have been preparing for some time. they would most likely have some kind of shuttles and survey equipment left along with the machinery to make any item in the databank via some kind of techtree and resource availability. some things you would need on board a ship like this would be 3d printers and cnc lathes just in case any of the ships parts failed and they wouldn't just have one of each, tipple redundancy is the norm for spacecraft and one with as long a mission as this would most likely have more. even if some of them broke they could be repaired by making new parts with the other tools. why would they build petrol powered vehicles when electric(given that they don't find something even better) is simpler and would use less energy to produce?

stop thinking in the past people..."i want a steam powered car with all the leavers i can pull manually and where i have to mine coal for it's firebox" might as well call this minecraft hd :P

went a bit off topic there....hmmm..lol.. anyway...nice keyboard/mouse control with the usual fps cluster around w/a/s/d of keys please. keep all the proper sim stuff in for the few who will want that but make a simplified version without any penalty's for those who don't want to be swapping controllers every 5 mins because they got up/walked to car/drove to aircraft/flew to another place/walked around for a bit :)

/end rant :P
Windows 10 Pro
Amd fx-8350
2x Amd r9 280x
16gig ram
Hisense 58" 4k3D TV
blah blah blah...

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2012, 11:02:13 am »

Eh, we are talking here about simulation of the existing vehicles, not what Anteworld will have. These vehicles are there for you to have some fun, but they are current age models (clearly). Can't really expect Cessna or Apache in 100y :)

But if we are considering Anteworld, there's another aspect that must be looked at. What will be available by 2100 will be largely dependent on existing infrastructure. Colonists, however, have to use limited facilities that a packed colony pod module may come with, and once deployed, the colonists must start gathering resources that can be converted to energy and materials with the facilities at hand. That means a small-scale (initially) mining and biomass gathering to be converted to oil etc.

It will be entirely different thing than the modern age that requires huge infrastructure to be built already, upgraded from the preexisting ones.

duxet

• Anteworld - polska strona
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2012, 01:35:43 pm »

Why that option in world.cfg works only for keyboard? I think so it would be better, to have real and ingame steering wheel synchronized, like in other games (eg. LFS). I know so that's a simulator, so it should be not so easy to drive. But in future adding even very simple FF support (just auto-centering) would fix that :)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2012, 01:58:50 pm »

It isn't synchronized for you? That option doesn't make sense for wheels since it defines speeds for discrete input, but for wheels it's synced. If it's not in your setup, it's a bug.

duxet

• Anteworld - polska strona
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2012, 02:31:19 pm »

Yes, it's a bit "laggy". I am using Logitech DFGT.

That's how it looks:

And that's a part of eng.log:
INFO: input device: Driving Force GT
        device: INDEV_HID0
        handle: 10049
        num axis: 4
        num pots: 1
        usage page: 1
        usage: 4
        vendor id: 46d
        product id: c29a
        device id: 89EC8B209ABB0C3F0D8308DA63D4257EBE846CE3
        version number: 4902
        num buttons: 23
        dev elements:
          Pot0 physical min: 0 physical max: 315 logical min: 0 logical max: 7 usage: 0x39
          Btn0 physical min: 0 physical max: 1 logical min: 0 logical max: 1 usage: 0x1
          Btn1 physical min: 0 physical max: 1 logical min: 0 logical max: 1 usage: 0x1
          Btn2 physical min: 0 physical max: 1 logical min: 0 logical max: 1 usage: 0x1
          Btn3 physical min: 0 physical max: 1 logical min: 0 logical max: 1 usage: 0x1
          Btn4 physical min: 0 physical max: 1 logical min: 0 logical max: 1 usage: 0x1
          Btn5 physical min: 0 physical max: 1 logical min: 0 logical max: 1 usage: 0x1
          Btn6 physical min: 0 physical max: 1 logical min: 0 logical max: 1 usage: 0x1
          Btn7 physical min: 0 physical max: 1 logical min: 0 logical max: 1 usage: 0x1
          Btn8 physical min: 0 physical max: 1 logical min: 0 logical max: 1 usage: 0x1
          Btn9 physical min: 0 physical max: 1 logical min: 0 logical max: 1 usage: 0x1
          Btn10 physical min: 0 physical max: 1 logical min: 0 logical max: 1 usage: 0x1
          Btn11 physical min: 0 physical max: 1 logical min: 0 logical max: 1 usage: 0x1
          Btn12 physical min: 0 physical max: 1 logical min: 0 logical max: 1 usage: 0x1
          Btn13 physical min: 0 physical max: 1 logical min: 0 logical max: 1 usage: 0x1
          Btn14 physical min: 0 physical max: 1 logical min: 0 logical max: 1 usage: 0x1
          Btn15 physical min: 0 physical max: 1 logical min: 0 logical max: 1 usage: 0x1

Axis0 physical min: 0 physical max: 16383 logical min: 0 logical max: 16383 usage: 0x30

Axis1 physical min: 0 physical max: 255 logical min: 0 logical max: 255 usage: 0x31
          Axis2 physical min: 0 physical max: 255 logical min: 0 logical max: 255 usage: 0x35
          Axis3 physical min: 0 physical max: 255 logical min: 0 logical max: 255 usage: 0x32
INFO: Device configuration file "C:\Users\Zgred\Outerra\devs\89EC8B209ABB0C3F0D8308DA63D4257EBE846CE3.cfg" not found using default!
INFO: Adding HID device "Driving Force GT"...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 02:36:47 pm by duxet »

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2012, 05:38:35 pm »

Yes, it's a bit "laggy". I am using Logitech DFGT.

That's how it looks:

Same on my G27. It is probably just due to the alpha state. Could also be some smoothing left on it even though it is being fed analog.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

zuluknob

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2012, 11:24:25 pm »

Eh, we are talking here about simulation of the existing vehicles, not what Anteworld will have. These vehicles are there for you to have some fun, but they are current age models (clearly). Can't really expect Cessna or Apache in 100y :)

as i say i went a tad off topic there... but the fact remains that atm the controls are geared towards simmers. i personally didn't buy the game because i could fly a plane around. perhaps you should get rid of the anteworld section of the board till your engine is working the way you want it if your not going to start adding/modifying it for the anteworld game and only want us to be testing the outerra engine.

i realize that the control system is probably not at the top of your list atm but if players were starting out on foot and had to walk to their truck with keys then swap to a wheel, drive over to the plane swap back to keys, walk to the plane swap to a joystick/yoke, fly around for a bit and land, swap to keys and walk back to truck, swap to wheel drive home, swap to keys walk into home. it would be a major pain in the ass. anteworld needs a unified nice control system for keyboard/mouse without any silly penalty's. i think the only reason you aren't getting a shed load(dunno how many copies you have sold so far) of complaints is because we can spawn what we like when we like so the above doesn't happen yet.
Windows 10 Pro
Amd fx-8350
2x Amd r9 280x
16gig ram
Hisense 58" 4k3D TV
blah blah blah...

PRiME

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2012, 11:34:18 pm »

Would be nice if the centring speed would slow down as the vehicle slows down, and vis versa.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2012, 03:37:32 am »

as i say i went a tad off topic there... but the fact remains that atm the controls are geared towards simmers. i personally didn't buy the game because i could fly a plane around. perhaps you should get rid of the anteworld section of the board till your engine is working the way you want it if your not going to start adding/modifying it for the anteworld game and only want us to be testing the outerra engine.
Hey, who said we don't want easy keyboard control? I'm tuning it for you, already released a patch etc. Nobody wants you to swap controllers, but it's true that keyboard control is always some kind of approximation, and there will be always someone screaming because of this and that.

And "silly penalties" are part of the gameplay. You can have automated trucks carrying stuff, but if the player takes over, he could be faster. There's a motivation in that.
Now, a player who uses most of the automatic systems that effectively turn off the external effects, so he can put a brick on the pedal and go, would be only as fast as the automatic driver. Regardless of whether he's using a keyboard or a wheel. But is a 5% difference such a big deal for you?

Anyway, it's just an idea. But I can imagine that someone comes wanting auto-aiming so he can just press enter to shoot the Things. Penalty or not?

zuluknob

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2012, 08:30:12 am »

ahh... i see what you mean about the penalty's now.
Windows 10 Pro
Amd fx-8350
2x Amd r9 280x
16gig ram
Hisense 58" 4k3D TV
blah blah blah...

zuluknob

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2012, 08:34:41 am »

as for auto aiming.. i would prefer "the hunter" style of gameplay
Windows 10 Pro
Amd fx-8350
2x Amd r9 280x
16gig ram
Hisense 58" 4k3D TV
blah blah blah...

zuluknob

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2012, 07:38:22 am »

truck seems to be behaving better now, ta :) but while messing with the steering/centering values i have noticed something. it looks like during centering the value goes from 100% of the setting to 0 instantly when getting to the center. it feels and looks to snappy no matter what values are in the config. perhaps you could add something to slow down the centering the closer it is to center. so centering max min values in the config would be nice. whack the steering and centering up to .99 to see what i'm on about better. it feels like it hits a brick wall when it gets to the center.
Windows 10 Pro
Amd fx-8350
2x Amd r9 280x
16gig ram
Hisense 58" 4k3D TV
blah blah blah...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4