Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: A.i.  (Read 11498 times)

helio2

A.i.
« on: June 24, 2010, 08:30:44 am »

What kind of features do you guys have planed for the a.i. part of the engine? Have you guys thought about building basic a.i systems for the creation of a possible game or are you guys mostly going to stick with non game simulations like a flight Sim?

I was referring to something similar to like the adventure editor in Spore, only with more features above the basic kind. For example some of the features in games like Fallout 3 or Oblivion IV where u can give tasks to the characters like follow or wait, or something else. You know setting it all up with a dialogue tree menu. All these would be great for the creation of an RPG as well as a perfect base for other popular game genres.
Outerra needs a Planet size modifier.   < nuff said!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
A.i.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 04:12:42 pm »

We are not planning AI yet, it's largely game-specific so we are leaving it for the later time. I mean the support for game-specific AI to work in such scales. I don't think we could estimate what functions the AI should have without testing it on a game first.

helio2

A.i.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 06:46:23 am »

How about A.i for just basic wondering wild life. Not sure how any ai systems work so I'm just throwing stuff out there.
Outerra needs a Planet size modifier.   < nuff said!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
A.i.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 07:12:33 am »

I guess that would be simple, run away from me in slightly random directions :)
Although herd animals tend to keep together and follow others. There should be some "herd attractor" for this as a smaller but far-reaching driving force. If this should be just an enriching element it won't be hard, although the complexity can grow if one goes after realism in this direction.

However, AI for humans or units is a different matter. I think the global helper functions for AI will appear after a game is implemented and we'll identify the subset that can be incorporated into a generic layer to the engine.

MatthewS

A.i.
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 01:24:00 am »

I think AI should be handled by the game and not the engine.

Take for example a flight simulator using the engine.  Users would expect the following:-

1) Aircraft following real world schedules
2) Real world liveries
3) Accurate ground handling of aircraft (eg wait for landing plane prior to crossing runway etc)
4) Accurate departure (SID) and arrival (STAR) procedures
5) Ground vehicles (fuel trucks, baggage carts etc) and ground handlers at airports
6) Passengers in the terminals and visible planning/deplanning
7) Aircraft/ground vehicles using lights/reversers etc as appropriate

The flight simulator could handle all that assuming the engine provided the following capabilities:-

1) Create an object (plane, ground vehicle, passenger etc) at a specific position  XYZ (ie lon/lat/alt ASL)
2) Delete an object
3) Give object a waypoint  (eg move to XYZ at given XYZ speed, accelerate to that speed at given XYZ rate)
4) Query list of object variables (eg lights, reversers, flaps, doors, etc)
5) Query state of a object variable (eg are lights on or off)
6) Set sate of an object variable (eg set lights on)
7) Query list of objects within given radius of XYZ (eg get list of all planes within  25 NM radius of my airport)

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
A.i.
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 12:37:39 pm »

Agreed.  AI and graphics are two different things, no need to clutter up Outerra with the code for AI that someone else will be supplying for their own app anyway.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel JanouĊĦek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!