Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Are these features science fiction or possible?  (Read 9390 times)

Karamich

• Outerra Fan
Are these features science fiction or possible?
« on: March 15, 2012, 09:45:05 am »

Hi

Every time I explore Outerra world, all sort of dreams about features cross my mind. So I would like to hear the developers feedback on the following if possible, just curious to see if they are possible withing today's PC graphic technologies or they are still science fiction:

- Dynamic seasons change: Unlike the known flight simulators that replace the world set of textures to Fall, Winter, Spring and summer at a specific date of the year, is it possible to have the same textures (one set only) dynamically tweaked using real time graphic filters (hue, saturation etc.) to go from one season to another? This way the transition is smooth all through the months instead of a sudden texture switch process at a specific date?

- Dynamic precipitation accumulation: based on real world live weather data, the level of precipitation is dynamically visible on the ground (level of snow or rain). For example, if during spring in Canada, there is a sudden unexpected snow storm, not only the real weather shows gloomy skies and snow falling but the ground is covered with the amount of snow estimated in the weather reports?

- Major world urban areas using LIDAR technology: The technology that scans with lazer the elevations and the data is used to remodel the city accurately. For example the C3 Technologies company bought by Apple renders cities with LIDAR Data.

- Intuitive scenery editing method: Painting cities dynamicaly and tweaking buildings types, height, street types etc using brush like methods

Just dreams and love to hear your feedback about them :)

Cheers!
The best thing after flying is landing

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Are these features science fiction or possible?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 02:40:08 am »

- Dynamic seasons change: Unlike the known flight simulators that replace the world set of textures to Fall, Winter, Spring and summer at a specific date of the year, is it possible to have the same textures (one set only) dynamically tweaked using real time graphic filters (hue, saturation etc.) to go from one season to another? This way the transition is smooth all through the months instead of a sudden texture switch process at a specific date?
Possible, planned. With fractal-driven patchy appearance - grass and trees yellowing in Fall, or getting green in Spring. However, there are some open questions as how the vegetation will change when it's more than just a texture change etc.

- Dynamic precipitation accumulation: based on real world live weather data, the level of precipitation is dynamically visible on the ground (level of snow or rain). For example, if during spring in Canada, there is a sudden unexpected snow storm, not only the real weather shows gloomy skies and snow falling but the ground is covered with the amount of snow estimated in the weather reports?
Snow accumulation should be possible, water (puddles) is harder.

- Major world urban areas using LIDAR technology: The technology that scans with lazer the elevations and the data is used to remodel the city accurately. For example the C3 Technologies company bought by Apple renders cities with LIDAR Data.
Way too expensive in all stages: the acquisition, storage and rendering.

- Intuitive scenery editing method: Painting cities dynamicaly and tweaking buildings types, height, street types etc using brush like methods
With the procedural city/building generators it should be possible. Sectoring the city, providing a heightfield that defines the average heights of the buildings ...

Karamich

• Outerra Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 10:28:32 am »

Thanks for the feedback and info Cameni!
The best thing after flying is landing

Rockcabbage

• "I broke the Earth..." "Don't alt-tab."
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 08:39:37 pm »

All I really want is sub-sea-level areas and more diversity in ground texture. I'd love to fly a plane through the Grand Canyon.

arnbo

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 02:01:27 pm »

Would it be possible to use street map data and something like Autogen in the MS Flight sim series to place a library of 'standard buildings' correctly?

Germanboy

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 04:28:11 pm »

Is  it possible to place the different forests / fields and surface textures using OSM data? In order to distinguish the engine if it is a field, a forest,  grass or Urban areas.
Such as for example at the Grand Canyon. The Grand Canyon is in real red / brown, but the engine represented as green and gray.
I do not know whether it is feasible, since it is only an idea.

LG Germanboy
sorry for my bad english :D

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 04:56:09 pm »

OSM can be used for places where humans change the terrain type (fields, pastures, urban areas). Natural land types will be created from other data, once there's a full biome support, places like the Grand Canyon should be rendered better.

Germanboy

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 05:24:09 pm »

Ok.
My question was in the way of..:
Are different  Textures  for forests or fields, gras planned? because that would make the landscape  more varied through the different vegetations .Like on the picture.
I  hope you understand what  I mean :D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 05:33:34 pm by Germanboy »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 05:40:10 pm »

Oh yes, they will be supported. Sure we don't want the whole world to be just grass :)

Germanboy

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 05:49:59 pm »

Ok that was my question i am glad to hear this thanks :D
i just wanted this information extract from the OSM database..

Jagerbomber

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 06:59:43 pm »

I checked out what OSM had for tree data in my area.  Let me tell you, it's very lacking.  I don't mean it not having tree types or anything like that (maybe it does in the actual data?).  I mean this is a place with trees EVERYWHERE and only very tiny areas are marked on OSM.  Seems pretty pointless to bother using it for tree data.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 07:01:47 pm by Jagerbomber »
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 05:03:31 am »

I think it's meant only for parks and forests within urban areas.
For global tree coverage there are other data available, with 500m resolution. But it will need some manual tweaking, the data can be only used to set a rough probability of tree occurrence, so it has to be augmented by some mathematical models.

Otherwise, even though OSM doesn't cover  your area well currently, its advantage is that it's one of few sources with useable license and where you too can provide better data.

Germanboy

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 11:56:00 am »

The idea with the osm data , I just wanted to make sure that there will soon be fields and different  substrates in the wold of outerra , a nd  not only green gras and gray rock.I  would be glad to see the results with the different things :D