Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zeos' Observations and Requests  (Read 24317 times)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Zeos' Observations and Requests
« on: March 16, 2012, 03:00:18 am »

I don't feel like starting a new topic every time I think of something or have an issue. So I think I will just park all my idea's here from now on.

First an observation that probably not many of you have been able to distinguish. I use a CRT.. A big hulking 24" Sony FW900. The best ever made. And using this causes me to miss certain "problems". I installed Outerra on my brothers PC with 23" Samsung LED-LCD to check 4000 series water issues less than a week ago and when I got around to flying into space I noticed the stars completely disappear when you look around. This is of course due to the limitation of all LCDs to do motion tracking. Test it yourself with this little software. PerPixelAn and the "Readability test". I can read up to the top speed of 30 where most LCD's fall apart at 5.

Next the removal of the ability to control the White Balance has been removed within the last few updates. Now I like white balance but I also like the ability to adjust it's intensity or not use it at all.

I also miss the Terrain grid just because of how cool it was. Perhaps toggling that ability with the cfg set to debug mode just so people can show off.

** Also I got a new mouse.. 6000 dpi and so have set my windows sensitivity a long way down to take advantage of higher tracking rates... Now outerra REALLY needs its own mouse sensitivity settings. It is CRAZY fast ingame.

That is all for now.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 03:12:13 am by ZeosPantera »
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Jagerbomber

Re: Zeos' Observations and Requests
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 12:48:59 pm »

Does your new mouse not have dpi toggle buttons?  Or a program that changes settings per app?
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 01:51:57 pm »

It does.. Four levels and even when I set it to the lowest setting (1200 dpi which I set in the config) it is depressingly slow in every other game and in windows.. BUT Outerra still flies around crazy.

**!! EDIT ADDITION TO THE LIST.. Make asphalt road surfaces smoother. They look like they have bumpy grass algorithms all over it and a new smooth road is exactly that.. Smooth.

REQUEST::: Can we get a bowling ball?  I am serious. Just have it so a key spawns a bowling ball that can be rolled down hills to show that a real physics engine is plugged into outerra. This would get as much buzz as the Apache I guarantee it.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 02:04:05 pm by ZeosPantera »
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Jagerbomber

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 04:00:12 pm »

I want rough roads and roads with random dips and stuff.

"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 07:00:12 pm »

I want rough roads and roads with random dips and stuff.

As do I but the current default road is a new road. Another road pattern can be distressed to hell with grass showing through and uneven seems.

Also I think the bumpy grass on the bumpy grass may be a bit too bumpy.. grass. In a lower FOV it looks like someone has been sledge hammering the ground for 1000 years. There are some great terrains around where I live I may upload some shots just to give some variety of thought to it.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 03:33:19 am »

Fun stuff happening today. My SSD decided to kill itself. I managed to get off a lot of the important stuff and am currently on a 12" netbook. Luckily all of OT's data is on my external. Regardless I may be at a limited capacity for a few days.

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 05:00:24 am »

Heh, interesting night for me too ... YouTube decided to not allow me to upload videos (most likely a browser problem, but after trying two different browsers, meh).

Must have something to do with the solar storm a few days ago.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it (as should you ... the sun is to blame for everything anyway, right?).
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

Jagerbomber

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 06:35:29 pm »

;D  I think Youtube has just been having major problems lately.  It looks like it might be clearing up though... but the problems will be back... like always. ::)

I'm not an expert on SSDs, I don't have one, but how do you manage to get your data off a "dead" SSD?  It's not just lost/stuck on there?  Also, SSDs don't really give hints that they're starting to die do they?

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 02:03:44 am »

Well apparently problems I thought were my mobo or a grounding USB were probably this SSD freaking out for months. Locking up on startup and explorer crashing. I can use the SSD fine for about 15 minutes than it just shuts off. My friend says a format can fix it as it did work for him. I will give it a shot once I am done going over it all..

And YES the solar storm has F'ed up many things.. My mouse stopped working.. Just lights up for 3 seconds and shuts off.. So that was a $60 problem. Now my 80Gig SSD fails.. There was something else but I can't remember. But also had to be sun related.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 02:40:06 am »

You're paranoid, man.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 08:32:24 am »

And YES the solar storm has F'ed up many things.. My mouse stopped working.. Just lights up for 3 seconds and shuts off.. So that was a $60 problem. Now my 80Gig SSD fails.. There was something else but I can't remember. But also had to be sun related.

Just a thought: What the hell did you do to RA ? ... :D
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

PTTG

• The following post is procedurally generated:
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 11:29:58 am »

A solar storm would only do that if you are in space.

The high energy particles hit the atmosphere (and to a significantly less extent, magnetosphere). If your computer was getting enough radiation to cause it to start dying, from any source, you'd probably not be very healthy.

The way that solar flares/storms damage electronics is by deforming the earth's magnetic field. This moves the whole field, but only in a broad way. If it's a very serious storm, very, very large conductors such as national power grids will have induced currents, but things smaller than a few km will never generate internal current.

Since there weren't any such induced currents of significant scale since Canada in 2000, and anyway there's tons of defensive devices, I feel very confident that your computer was unaffected by any kind of power surge and is more likely suffering from a manufacturing failure or wear and tear.

Or maybe I just misread some sarcasm.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 01:21:02 pm »

You did miss some serious sarcasm indicators indeed. Namely Jagerbomber and Zeos :D

Jagerbomber

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 01:54:48 pm »

I don't know... I don't think Zeos was being sarcastic this time...  He's crazy.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 07:53:47 pm »

We are all in the Matrix. Which is why they made the movie.. So it would become too pop culture for anyone to believe it if they found out the truth..

The Sun God Dwells within me!
Pages: [1] 2