Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Poll

What genre/area interests you most with regards to Outerra? 3 votes per user.

Flight simulators
- 243 (20.5%)
Train simulators
- 37 (3.1%)
Car simulators
- 87 (7.3%)
Military sims/games
- 157 (13.2%)
Fantasy/medieval games
- 66 (5.6%)
Sci-fi space games
- 108 (9.1%)
Social games
- 18 (1.5%)
Creation of virtual worlds
- 131 (11%)
Use in productions, movies, visualization etc.
- 16 (1.3%)
Strategy/civilization-style games
- 76 (6.4%)
Sandbox - Physics/Building games
- 199 (16.8%)
Ship/submarine simulator
- 48 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 462

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Who's here?  (Read 99775 times)

Avalkiz

Re: Who's here?
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2012, 06:33:47 am »

Train sim and car sim. And sandbox/physics game.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2012, 01:38:46 pm »

So I think with a Train, Car and Physics Sandbox you could simulate jumping cars over passing trains and crashing through barrels stacked on the train-cars...

Best Game Ever.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

hlovell

• Building a city on Bouvet Island!
    • deviantART
« Reply #107 on: July 02, 2012, 07:34:49 pm »

Strategy and Sandbox games and virtual world creation would be best suited for Outerra, in my opinion.

Westiin

« Reply #108 on: August 05, 2012, 08:44:17 pm »

This would make an awesome city building / world building game.  I could just imagine not only being able to create a city (like in games like SimCity 4, Cities XL etc) but being able to make multiple cities anywhere I want in the world.

About the only thing that might get in the way would be how much simulation the engine would be able to do, and how much detail can be put into models that are used in the engine while still maintaining an acceptable level of performance.  I have quite a few games that work really great when it's just the map and trees blowing in the wind, but once you layer on all the simulating the game needs to do, with AI and patfhinding etc, then that's where those other games start to tremendously lose in the performance department.

It's all very interesting to me.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 08:46:10 pm by Westiin »

Gladio

« Reply #109 on: October 13, 2012, 09:00:17 am »

A Mil Sim would be amazing. I mean something like a MMO with tanks, troops, planes, ships and, of course, submarine.

Allan Davidson

« Reply #110 on: December 05, 2012, 04:02:23 am »

1) Combat sim: a Mix of GTA + ARMA + BF3 in world-wide scale Gogogo

2) Building: Something like a CIV or Tropico with Sandbox/Roleplay like GTA

3) Strategy/Adventure/RPG: Warcraft 3, Skyrim, LOTR or even Final Fantasies in OT would be awesome. And GTA of course.

GTA everywhere.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 04:08:41 am by Allan Davidson »

Jagerbomber

« Reply #111 on: December 05, 2012, 05:02:59 pm »

He really wants hookers in the game.  That's what he's saying.  :P
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

Anarkist

« Reply #112 on: December 05, 2012, 08:37:26 pm »

For myself, outside of my own Pulp Adventure idea, I would like to see an episodic story heavy steampunk roleplaying game. Specifically one inspired by White Wolf's World of Darkness universe, though without the typical character customization process which I find both immersion breaking and as much fun as an accounting spreadsheet.

Allan Davidson

« Reply #113 on: December 05, 2012, 11:39:06 pm »

:P I wasn't really saying a "hooker-centred lulz killer" game when I speak about GTA, I was thinking about a Sandbox game with a large, open world life-simulating game with streets, real houses/apartaments, places, cars...

Jagerbomber

« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2012, 12:21:01 am »

Yeah I know... It's just that that seems to always be the go-to game when referencing open worlds.  :P  That and Minecraft...
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

zuluknob

« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2013, 01:58:12 am »

zombie dayz type game
Windows 10 Pro
Amd fx-8350
2x Amd r9 280x
16gig ram
Hisense 58" 4k3D TV
blah blah blah...

Diofantos

« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2013, 08:51:16 am »

I choose flight simulator, sci-fi and sandbox.
I think Outerra is suitable for any kind of simulator game.

Maybe all kind of simulator-like games could co-exist in Outerra.

meatsauce

« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2013, 04:47:54 am »

Hello,

First post! Just found this poll and voted. Figured I'd do an introduction too. I've had a lust for sandbox games, in particular games that allow me to build rockets and space bases, then equip them with tech. Including military hardware and defense systems.

The game that satisfied me for a while was garrysmod for HL2. With its scripting E2, user vguis, and different ways to assemble models; there was just an unlimited playability and 'engineering' factor. I grew weary of the smaller spacebuild maps over time. The immensity of the world and space were missing, even though we had the capabilities to build ships out of scrap metal, or blocks alla legos, and produce resources for life support...

I found some fun in Kerbal Space Program, and think that title is going places, yet I'm mostly interested in a combination of online multiplayer sandbox, mini game, or free for fall style play.

e.g. Build To Survive / Conquer / Freelance / Coop

I think the flight simulator is a core element. What could be more fun than designing, building, and testing a fighter, rocket, or SSTO spaceplane, equipped with custom avionics systems, sensors, and payloads with your pals?

A private community could build their own universe, with their own rules, and structures via plugins. And also provide connectivity or "jump-gates" to other universes/servers. Perhaps allowing the creation of huge clusters of multiverses.

AFAIK, there is no game on the market that will let you realistically simulate launching into space with friends from surface to space to destination like a moon or asteroid. I was hoping your project might eventually include something to this effect, or at least permit it to evolve with modifications.

I've seen a rocket motor or engine in jbsim; I'm assuming that we'll be able to use thruster physics and RCS control scripts to be developed. Are there any tutorials or write ups deal with rocket physics with this engine?

How I see this tying all in is a world or multiverse of zones, dimensions, whatever, that are persistant and populated by players and their bases. I don't know much about your MP plans, but I've seen them discussed. Depending on the number of concurrent connections, you could see entire populated moons, and cities popping up all over the globe.

Sorry for the long read, but I've been seeking 'the perfect sandbox with a space twist' for the longest time, and am loaded with ideas to some degree of shame. The alpha was sexy enough to earn my support, and to much credit; no title has ever let me build a virtual habitat on my exact IRL coordinates. It was a moment.

Looking forward to more of your work.

Cheers,
Meat

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2013, 10:30:24 am »

I've seen a rocket motor or engine in jbsim; I'm assuming that we'll be able to use thruster physics and RCS control scripts to be developed. Are there any tutorials or write ups deal with rocket physics with this engine?
I think nobody tried to tie a rocket FDM to an imported model yet, but it should be normally possible. It requires some digging around in JSBSim to see how it's controlled and then writing a script for it.

SilentEagle

• Sim Developer
    • Simulation Developer
« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2013, 01:52:42 pm »

I think nobody tried to tie a rocket FDM to an imported model yet, but it should be normally possible. It requires some digging around in JSBSim to see how it's controlled and then writing a script for it.

One of the first things I did when we got access to OT was to replace the C172 with he X-15 rocket plane.
 www.outerra.com/forum/index.php?topic=709.msg8578#msg8578

It was a blast to fly into space, but it didn't have RCS control.  With some work, one could make a fully functioning Spacecraft.  Currently that requires aerodynamics understanding, but perhaps someone will make a module that is more like KSP and allow the user to just build a craft from parts and have the module determine the aerodynamics and control characteristics.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 01:54:16 pm by SilentEagle »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10