Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Poll

What genre/area interests you most with regards to Outerra? 3 votes per user.

Flight simulators
- 243 (20.5%)
Train simulators
- 37 (3.1%)
Car simulators
- 87 (7.3%)
Military sims/games
- 157 (13.2%)
Fantasy/medieval games
- 66 (5.6%)
Sci-fi space games
- 108 (9.1%)
Social games
- 18 (1.5%)
Creation of virtual worlds
- 131 (11%)
Use in productions, movies, visualization etc.
- 16 (1.3%)
Strategy/civilization-style games
- 76 (6.4%)
Sandbox - Physics/Building games
- 199 (16.8%)
Ship/submarine simulator
- 48 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 462

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Who's here?  (Read 99784 times)

Jagerbomber

Re: Who's here?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 12:35:27 pm »

I'm a fan of SimCity and I'm just currently having fun laying out the real world roads and eventually buildings etc even if they aren't populated... because they don't really have a use.  I don't really care if the vehicles are sim or arcade... just as long as I can drive some of them without too much trouble.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 12:40:51 pm by Jagerbomber »
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

WP

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 01:33:11 pm »

I'm not really sure what categories these would go into, but here's the types of games I would love to play with an outerra-sized world:

Large-scale FPS/action game

An RPG of some sort (sci-fi or fantasy, setting doesn't really matter to me)

Some sort of sandbox/virtual world game similar to minecraft or terraria where the emphasis is on creativity, but there is some outside threat that the player needs to worry about. 

Dunno if that helps any.

Sorry this is a bit off topic, but what episode is that yahtzee quote from?

Jagerbomber

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 01:43:43 pm »

Sorry this is a bit off topic, but what episode is that yahtzee quote from?
Minecraft
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

Wynthorpe

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 02:56:52 pm »

Flight Sims deffo!

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 03:05:47 pm »

Luckily I take every vote for Physics sandbox and military simulation as a vote for Car/Vehicle simulation! That put's my imaginary category in the lead!
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

mctash

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 03:09:24 pm »

Lol I am only one to vote for social games :) I assume this category = second life type thing. I think that would be a great idea because although not popular with all gamers they can quickly get to massive number of users meaning more $$ for outerra team and then who knows, maybe we get those new fancy pants Lidar cities I've seen on the forum :) :) :)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2012, 03:23:47 pm »

Well Social is a loose term. I see nothing wrong with a social game if you consider minecraft a social game. People.. Being people competing for riches and battling the undead in caves "together". By my standards previous Military sims would not be social because they are only temporary, running 45 minutes to 8 hours a skirmish. However a persistent battle could take place in Outerra. Developing into weeks and months and a social community would flourish out of sheer commerotery.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 03:29:34 pm by ZeosPantera »
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Matt6767

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 03:30:29 pm »

Military. I came here from WWII Online after they all discussed about how great this engine would be for war games.   

A Wurm-ish game would be pretty fun too, or a "simming's minecraft."

PTTG

• The following post is procedurally generated:
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 05:00:12 pm »

You can't get the second life crowd to play your game by making annother second life (a third life, if you will). The second lifers are already playing second life!

Instead, you have to make a game that is unique and strong on its own merits. At that point it makes sense to advertise it in second-life-type games, yes.

Furthermore, the engine is not well suited to a social game. I'm sorry, but its primary features simply don't mesh well with it. There's nothing you can do with this engine for that game that you can't do just as well with a much lighter engine.

Now, I would add that any kind of action game by default absolutely must include vehicle simulation; the world is so large that it would be crippling to lock the player to only the places that they get sent in missions.

Train simulation: well... let's see... you've got a map the size of a planet, and you only want to look at the parts of it that are next to train tracks?

Flight Simulation: Now this makes sense! Particularly, it would be VTOL-type aircraft primarilly, to increase the number of areas the player can land to investigate closely and fully make use of the grass terrain generator.

Surface vehicles: Cars, etc. This is basically the same as a foot-based action game at this point. It's married inseperably to the military simulator aspect.

Fantasy/Midievil game: Not really practical. Either you'd just be copy-pasting the same two dozen castles and muddy villages around the world (even in, say, south america), or you have to hire several hundred artists to come up with a set of midievil mgical cultures with different architecture, clothing, and plots.

Spaceflight games: See Flight Sim.

Virtual Worlds: I'm not entirely sure what this means. Perhaps something like Minecraft? In which case, minecraft probably does a better job. Much the same problem as the social game paradox.

Movies: ...Well, maybe. The biggest problem is you'd have to be able to switch to a "render" mode which makes full-quality frames every frame, with no skipping, all the bloom filters... and you still probably won't look quite as good as properly ray-traced renders. How well would you engine support things like faces and animations?

Strategy: One thing that this engine is ideal for. The largest obstacles I forsee is that a modern air unit might pass through a region in seconds, stressing the rate at which chunks can be loaded, and more troubling, any kind of modern force could have hundreds or thousands of units, which might end up splitting up, meaning that hundreds of separate chunks need to be loaded simultaniously. If those problems can be overcome, perhaps by having a far simpler terrain map for places where only non-player units are located, then this would be a very unique and very impressive game.

Physics Sim: Sounds difficult but not impossible. You'd want to have a very good collision detection system... I imagine building vehicles of all types would be a major part of that game. As I've written elsewhere, a modular, modable garry's mod-type game would rock.

Citybuilding: As we've already seen, building cities is very well suited for this game. A good economic simulation would be necissary, but aside from a few of the traveling units problem that a strategy game would have, this sounds good.

Ship/Submarine: See Surface Vehicles.

Matt6767

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 05:26:28 pm »

Virtual Worlds: I'm not entirely sure what this means. Perhaps something like Minecraft? In which case, minecraft probably does a better job. Much the same problem as the social game paradox.

Ya..no...

That game is lacking too many features to be enjoyable for longer than a week. Their survival mode isn't all that great either.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 05:32:11 pm by Matt6767 »

PTTG

• The following post is procedurally generated:
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2012, 06:08:12 pm »

Well, the continuing popularity of that game begs to differ. For full disclosure, I currently run a server... but I have to say, for the right mindset, it is not only enduring but incredibly addictive.

Of course, that's neither here nor there- a minecraft-type pure block builder wouldn't work all that great with this. For one thing it just wouldn't work with a heightmap... I'd still love a survival oriented game, whether first-person or citybuilder.

Matt6767

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2012, 06:27:38 pm »

Well, the continuing popularity of that game begs to differ. For full disclosure, I currently run a server... but I have to say, for the right mindset, it is not only enduring but incredibly addictive.

Of course, that's neither here nor there- a minecraft-type pure block builder wouldn't work all that great with this. For one thing it just wouldn't work with a heightmap... I'd still love a survival oriented game, whether first-person or citybuilder.

No probably not with a block builder :P.

But still there could be something similar to Minecraft with a more suitable builder. A simplistic game like Minecraft shouldn't be the only builder game. With that logic ArmA already has the FPS market, several Flight sims already out there, and Medieval...lol
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 06:32:28 pm by Matt6767 »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2012, 06:28:16 pm »

Virtual Worlds: I'm not entirely sure what this means.
Not just virtual worlds, but creation of them. See http://www.cartographersguild.com/

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2012, 06:38:34 pm »

Yup, virtual/fictional worlds is my primary focus for the engine.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2012, 06:54:08 pm »

My friends and I get usually in about 2 weeks in minecraft before we quit for several months. Two or three of them go like rabbits and mine a ton of diamond and gold while the rest of us explore endless Kilometers.. But by the time the rest of us settle the rich kids buy the towns nearest spawn and we are just left with our dirt houses and half a stack of diamond. Plus servers can only get so big in MC. If OT is done right there might not be anything but one master server with a bunch of slaves sending and receiving models, textures and world modifications so EVERYone can see what you did where you did it. And in the future with a super swarm of servers all talking perhaps actual interactive multiplayer person to person could take place just based on geographic location and not the server you used to connect. [/dream]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10