Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: What do flight simmers want in their perfect sim?  (Read 53957 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: What do flight simmers want in their perfect sim?
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2012, 03:56:16 am »

Oh, I thought X-planers lived and died by the blade element theory :)
But seriously, Outerra is not limited to JSBSim, and there are other FDMs out there that could be used. Technically it could be also possible to generate JSBSim tabular data from a blade element model. Maybe the guys at JSBSim will be able to tell more.

We were rejected at X-Plane.org? I have read a blog entry by Ben Supnik, but understood his views. Even the part where he says that "Outerra has been sent to us approximately 1,343,234,319,393 times" and doesn't want to hear it anymore :)
There's no easy way of merging two technologies and all the tools and everything, even if it was politically acceptable. We could only become a competition to them one day, when OT matures enough. So much can happen ..

Like Microsoft killing Flight  :o
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 04:50:29 am by cameni »

Steve.Wilson

• Home Cockpit Builder
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2012, 01:43:34 pm »

MS Flight was doomed from the beginning when they tried to make a game out of it.  Hawaii is nice, but flight sims have been growing more towards being able to handle the whole world for a long time, so getting just the islands is like flying in a prison.  A nice prison, but a prison nonetheless.

Blade Element Theory does make for a more nimble FDM, but for most practical flying, I've come to realize that it's not essential.  If it were, all of the professional flight simulators everywhere would be using it, and that's just not the case.  X-Plane benefits from BET in that it makes it possible to design your own unique aircraft planform and have it fly realistically.  I've done that with GrizzlyJet, a VLJ bush jet that I use in my homebuilt cockpit.  Once I'm really happy with the way the bird flies, there are scads of analytical possibilities offered by X-Plane that should allow me to extract the JSBSim data.  It might even be possible to do that with an X-Plane plugin, and I've got a bit of experience there.  That would make X-Plane a partner to Anteworld in some ways.

You saw Ben's post, did you?  Funny one.  He's a good dude, but I can understand the frustration of being badgered with someone else's work.  And I have to admit, I've chimed in with a bit of political control myself since I sympathized.  After all, if X-Plane adopted Outerra, a LOT of effort would go down the tubes.  But now I've seen that Outerra has the potential to provide a more stimulating environment.  X-Plane just looks so dated, especially at altitude.

Right now X-Plane is, if I'm not mistaken, the only closed-source flight simulator on the market.  In the past few days, I've seen that other options are definitely nipping at their heels.  And if you can keep Outerra/Anteworld moving forward, Brano, you'll be near the head of the pack yourself.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 01:45:17 pm by WarpeD »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2012, 05:35:29 pm »

Yes, MS Flight was doomed from day one, but MS could always have reverted their greedy policy of not allowing third party developers to access the platform. I kind of expected that to happen, after some time, so it somewhat surprised me now that they have killed it completely instead. But then again, since they don't have hearts in what they are doing, it's kind of not surprising at all.

Many FS franchise simmers are now comforting themselves that it's the Golden Age of FSX, with the HW finally catching on, many good years or they are putting their hopes on Lockheed. MS created a hole but it's also a niche market there; honestly I don't know where it all is going to lead.
However, our path is kind of independent of it all ...

Our goal is a global combined sim because with OT it's possible, and apart from it being a dream to come true for many, it would be also merging several simulation fields and generating a synergetic effect. Once Anteworld can demonstrate also the prototypes of train/ship simulators and expands on the aircraft and cars, it may be a good idea to crowdfund and kickstart the development of such a sim platform, open to third party devs to build a lively sim world, almost the exact opposite of what MS tried to do.

coanda

« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2012, 10:23:34 am »

I actually don't believe that BET is the best way forward - there are lots of fudges going on in X-Plane as far as I am concerned (and I'm a decade long user - it's the best we've got from an engineering stand point, but this can be done better)).  I also don't believe the development tools are all that good any more.  There's been a lot of growth in some areas and almost none in others.  Again - it's the best we've got though.

I'm very happy at the prospect of having the great virtual world that is outerra to plug in to.

MS Flight......I feel sorry for the poor guys who had to do what they were told, and are now out of a job.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]