Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Video Games are Now Art  (Read 9430 times)

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
Video Games are Now Art
« on: March 16, 2012, 11:09:50 pm »

Finally!  I've been arguing this for years with friends and family members, but to see the Smithsonian take up the mantel and finally put a label on it, I now have closure and smug satsifaction  :P 8) ???

Leveling-up at the Smithsonian
"The goal is not for us to put a stake in the ground and say ART!" said former Sun Microsystems chief gaming officer and Past Pixels founder Chris Melissinos.

And yet, Melissinos is the guest curator for the Smithsonian American Museum of Art's newest exhibit, "The Art of Video Games." That's right. Video games are now included in the leading art museum in the nation. What else could this mean but ART?

How about legitimacy for an entire generation of gamers who grew up playing 8bit games and weren't taken seriously by the rest of mainstream culture?

"It was intentional," Melissinos said. The medium of video games, after 40 years, is "worthy of examination as an art form," he said...
Full Article
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 11:11:36 pm by C. Shawn Smith »
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
Re: Video Games are Now Art
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 05:29:32 am »

Finally!  I've been arguing this for years with friends and family members, but to see the Smithsonian take up the mantel and finally put a label on it, I now have closure and smug satsifaction  :P 8) ???

Leveling-up at the Smithsonian
"The goal is not for us to put a stake in the ground and say ART!" said former Sun Microsystems chief gaming officer and Past Pixels founder Chris Melissinos.

And yet, Melissinos is the guest curator for the Smithsonian American Museum of Art's newest exhibit, "The Art of Video Games." That's right. Video games are now included in the leading art museum in the nation. What else could this mean but ART?

How about legitimacy for an entire generation of gamers who grew up playing 8bit games and weren't taken seriously by the rest of mainstream culture?

"It was intentional," Melissinos said. The medium of video games, after 40 years, is "worthy of examination as an art form," he said...
Full Article

Actually, youre right ... its an really math-taking hard work that ends at an certain expression of the creator/team. Maybe the simmers would argue, but at the end it is an subiective expression of its sight on reality. So ewen reality itself (nature and its principes i mean) create an great ammount of amazing things that started our notion of art in the first place ... only its way of creation is limited to the creators mind -do do something fabullous for the people to like and beeing feedbacked ewen financially to keep on going like this, or just putting things to the table for monney ...

At the same time, the storry and imagination-work in those are an certanty of art. Sometimes as great as Tolkien´s books.

... i just hope somebuddy doesnt start an Game-Art school because of this. :D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 03:45:54 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 01:48:50 pm »

There already are MANY of them here in the states.  Though most focus on the technical aspects of game creation, they also are heavily rooted in traditional mediums (students are often required to submit "showcase pieces" of 3d/CGI artwork that could, quite literally, be printed to a canvas and framed :).

An when you consider stuff like this (most of the images are too large to view on the page, so I left them as links):

http://www.pixologic02.com/1007ZBrush4/31-MarianoSteiner.jpg
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=119267
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=154291
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=160823

The BB King one is one of my favorite CGI art pieces.  Zbrushcentral has a lot of beauty shots like these, that could just as easily have been oil paintings.  Only the medium has changed.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 03:26:54 am »

The BB King one is one of my favorite CGI art pieces.  Zbrushcentral has a lot of beauty shots like these, that could just as easily have been oil paintings.  Only the medium has changed.

Indeed, its actually something between sculpting and realism/renesance/modern painting ... whyte the combination of an great story. Just all fan-art creations (painted or modelled) are an great work indeed. Some argue, they can be easy modified and clasic paintings just werry complicated ... but the skills to master that kind of art is actually non-less.

My great favorites in paint and 3D art are actually animal-humanoid characters of acient/middle age timing. Has an great ammount of skill requirements for fine details ... and because of some of my own fasntasy-mind storyes i would like write, when theres no school pushing on me ... just like some of DarkNatasha´s stuff :

and others :
-in painting,
characters as for warcraft and other such games has some serious modell-fan-art of hi-detail and realism. Try post some, when i find the link to them ... (i allways sawe them to my pictures to not loose them, when i forgett the sites ...)
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.