Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Change speed with CTRL+Scroll Wheel?  (Read 7136 times)

waverley41

Change speed with CTRL+Scroll Wheel?
« on: March 17, 2012, 08:38:13 pm »

I was fooling around with SpaceEngine last night (check it out, seriously) and noticed they implemented speed control with CTRL+scroll wheel, along with hud indicator that displays the current speed.

It made flying around far more comfortable and intuitive then in Outerra.

They also used Q+E as a tilt control, which felt very natural while flying around the atmosphere/space.

Any chance we can see this as an option in Outerra?

Freeman

Re: Change speed with CTRL+Scroll Wheel?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 11:44:32 pm »

I was fooling around with SpaceEngine last night (check it out, seriously) and noticed they implemented speed control with CTRL+scroll wheel, along with hud indicator that displays the current speed.

It made flying around far more comfortable and intuitive then in Outerra.

They also used Q+E as a tilt control, which felt very natural while flying around the atmosphere/space.

Any chance we can see this as an option in Outerra?
Good idea!

waverley41

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 12:01:48 am »

Actually, I just noticed that Q+E are indeed tilt/roll control (although I think they only activate when in the upper atmosphere). The implementation in SpaceEngine is also more pronounced (you spin faster), which makes it feel more like flying. It's a big difference.

Also, I just noticed in SE that CTRL+scroll changes speed significantly, while scroll-only lets you change with more precision. I find this to be the perfect configuration. It's very easy to manage speed/acceleration smoothly.

Please please please make this a feature in Outerra!

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 02:09:23 am »

I think Ctrl and scrollwheel for speed with readout... Alt and scrollwheel for FOV changing with fading readout.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

waverley41

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 02:21:22 am »

I think having both CTRL+scroll for rough speed adjustment, and scroll-only for fine tuning is ideal.

This way you can manage acceleration more much more comfortably then with a single adjustment.