Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Survey  (Read 166233 times)

C. Shawn Smith

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 712
    • C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
Survey
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2010, 03:51:53 am »

Logged
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

CMBH

  • Jr. Member
  • *
  • Posts: 10
Survey
« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2010, 12:09:21 pm »

I think that the best solution addon is a unique(only) simulator grouping together(including) all the sorts of simulation in the form of!

Example simulation of driving(behavior) or air simulation including forest fire simulation and weather simulation .

The most beautiful would be a forest fire truck but the me in demand too much not?

http://pompiers63.blogspot.com/2009/07/defile-du-14-juillet-nouveau-ccfm.html

Logged

OGREMAN

  • Member
  • **
  • Posts: 62
Survey
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2010, 12:30:56 am »

I am new to this forum so forgive my lack of knowledge about OUTERRA, this terrain generating engine ABSOLUTELY ROCKS MY WORLD..... I am not very knowledgable in computer code but I do know a groundbreaking piece of software when I see it and this is it.
My particular interest is in combat flight simming which I have been doing since writing a basic code for a flight sim on a sinclair zx back in1978. Since then I have tried em all and I can say without doubt that the graphic detail of this terrain engine far exceeds anything out there at this point in time.
So this is my point.... the "holy grail" of simmers is definately to have a high fidelity environment where the physics that govern the behavior of vehicles and objects in that environment are incorruptable. The unbending physics thing is essential in a competetive multiplay environment where cheating to win is rife. For that reason I would urge you not to leave the architecture of the engine so open as to allow third party modders to bend the virtual world physics to their will.

In my opinion you should pursue the vision of a world terrain environment generator that has a set of tools that others can use to populate the environment with their specialised interest vehicle/object.  That in itself is a massive undertaking, ROBUST FIDELITY NOW, DIVERSITY LATER.
Logged
`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves  Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:All mimsy were the borogoves,
  And the mome raths outgrabe.
\"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun;  The frumious Bandersnatch!\"

cameni

  • Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6716
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Survey
« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2010, 07:39:11 am »

Quote from: OGREMAN
I would urge you not to leave the architecture of the engine so open as to allow third party modders to bend the virtual world physics to their will.

In my opinion you should pursue the vision of a world terrain environment generator that has a set of tools that others can use to populate the environment with their specialised interest vehicle/object.  That in itself is a massive undertaking, ROBUST FIDELITY NOW, DIVERSITY LATER.
The architecture open to pluggable modules is aimed at the developers, rather than the users. And I'd imagine that including a plugin for public distribution will be subject to some quality and conformity checking anyway, for example it cannot cause slowdowns because of poor programming, things like that. In any case I'd like to have a detection system in place for pinpointing such an infringing module even in real time - we would not like to be blamed for poor performance when the cause lies elsewhere, but it should be also giving hints to the developers about problematic parts.

Tunability of individual parameters within a specific vehicle is a different matter, but that will lie in the hands of the plugin maker.
Logged

flightmaster

  • Jr. Member
  • *
  • Posts: 28
Survey
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2010, 06:49:27 pm »

I think the best way to make an actual product out of this is to create scenery add-ons for simulators, and maybe license the use of the engine to game developers. You could create your own games or simulators, but wouldn't it be better if you joined up with a big player such as Activision or Microsoft for that?
Logged

cameni

  • Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6716
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Survey
« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2010, 02:32:08 am »

Well it cannot be used for scenery addons for other simulators as the architecture is radically different. New simulators don't get created every day, but I think it's a matter of time when someone will want to develop one with it. We still have to mature the engine as well.
Logged

alainneedle1

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 6
Survey
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2010, 07:19:44 pm »

Quote from: cameni
Well it cannot be used for scenery addons for other simulators as the architecture is radically different. New simulators don't get created every day, but I think it's a matter of time when someone will want to develop one with it. We still have to mature the engine as well.

OK so let me understand this, any of the already existing addons can't be use with your engine because of the architecture of your engine been different....

In another post here..     http://www.outerra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1715#p1715 you stated the fact that you are talking with several developers....in all of them is there at least one (or more than one) in the flight simulation business?
Logged

cameni

  • Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6716
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Survey
« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2010, 01:51:19 am »

I understood the question was if we can make scenery addons for other simulators with it. But the answer is no also the other way around. The engine needs to import & use vector data to maintain the level of detail on the whole detail range.

In fact the majority of the developers we are talking to are in flight sim business, and some previous contacts have been resurrected too.
Logged

flightmaster

  • Jr. Member
  • *
  • Posts: 28
Survey
« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2010, 11:56:44 am »

Quote from: cameni
I understood the question was if we can make scenery addons for other simulators with it. But the answer is no also the other way around. The engine needs to import & use vector data to maintain the level of detail on the whole detail range.

In fact the majority of the developers we are talking to are in flight sim business, and some previous contacts have been resurrected too.
YAY!!!
sorry, my inner child surfaced! :D
Logged

ZeosPantera

  • ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2519
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Survey
« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2010, 08:57:11 pm »

I would hate to see this amount of terrain detail mostly wasted with ONLY flight sims. This engine deserves more interaction with the ground and its features.
Logged
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

RaikoRaufoss

  • Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 374
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
Survey
« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2010, 11:24:35 pm »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
I would hate to see this amount of terrain detail mostly wasted with ONLY flight sims. This engine deserves more interaction with the ground and its features.
I definitely agree.
Logged
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel JanouĊĦek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

alainneedle1

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 6
Survey
« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2010, 09:51:34 am »

Quote from: cameni
I understood the question was if we can make scenery addons for other simulators with it. But the answer is no also the other way around. The engine needs to import & use vector data to maintain the level of detail on the whole detail range.

In fact the majority of the developers we are talking to are in flight sim business, and some previous contacts have been resurrected too.

As we all know there is not to many dev. (good one) in the flight simulation business, any specific on whom is interrested in your engine....I remember in another thread somewhere you said you were having contact with Aerosoft and for what I understood they just vanish from the discussion....are they back in?

Do you have any NDA with any of the dev. ....I'm asking all these questions because I would hate to see only one dev. taking over your engine...
Logged

cameni

  • Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6716
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Survey
« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2010, 10:49:03 am »

You must be aware that this technology is still in its early stage and I think it's preliminary to draw conclusions now. What it shows is a potential - on the other hand it certainly lacks many of the tools needed to make sceneries for simulators, a robust API to interact with and so on. Any developer that will want to use the engine early on must be prepared to plan their development in a way that counts with our development plan, being able to implement some missing parts themselves or generally work in special mode with us. That's why we also cannot support too many developers at this time. Can't be specific as to which ones are these, both because of agreements or because it's too early to tell.

Our best course would be to make a game on the engine first, that would mature it and make more feature complete. It should be essentially a propagation/demo of the engine. While we can't aim for a flight simulator with it, it could contain flight sim components such as realistic FDM, working cockpits etc. So we are thinking about this, how to incorporate stuff that will make it interesting for many groups (yes, you car driving maniacs and planet blasters and sandboxers as well), while not burdening us too much on our path with the engine.

As for Aerosoft, I remember Mathijs Kok writing somewhere they are only now selecting the engine to be used in the simulator, and I have reasons to believe that they will be talking to us yet :)
However, even when they would, there are many problematic areas to be overcome before there's a chance it could lead somewhere ...
Logged

ligerox

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 1
Survey
« Reply #88 on: January 01, 2011, 09:31:39 pm »

hey guys i am new here and loving this engine it beats so many other things i have seen
like for instance i am a flight sim fan and its engine comes no where near this or the quality
but i have to say i like the idea of having multiple sim's on one engine like a train sim so you
deliver your goods to a boat(boat sim) then the boat takes over then goes to a port somewhere
off loads onto a truck(truck sim) the truck takes it to the airport where the cargo plane(flight sim) drops
 it off on the other side of the world then another truck takes over and delivers it to the store.

Its like the ultimate teamwork to get the goods there on time plus you dont have to buy multiple sims
say for instance you wanted a flight simulator then go buy microsofts one but that means you are restricted
to aircraft and when people try to change the sim by making trucks and cars for it, it dosnt work anyway
becuase the sim was designed for aircraft not trucks and cars but by having lots of sim's in one we get
rid of this problem :D

Cheer's
Ligerox
Logged

grabacr 31770

  • Member
  • **
  • Posts: 57
Survey
« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2011, 06:11:46 am »

Quote from: ligerox
hey guys i am new here and loving this engine it beats so many other things i have seen
like for instance i am a flight sim fan and its engine comes no where near this or the quality
but i have to say i like the idea of having multiple sim's on one engine like a train sim so you
deliver your goods to a boat(boat sim) then the boat takes over then goes to a port somewhere
off loads onto a truck(truck sim) the truck takes it to the airport where the cargo plane(flight sim) drops
 it off on the other side of the world then another truck takes over and delivers it to the store.

Its like the ultimate teamwork to get the goods there on time plus you dont have to buy multiple sims
say for instance you wanted a flight simulator then go buy microsofts one but that means you are restricted
to aircraft and when people try to change the sim by making trucks and cars for it, it dosnt work anyway
becuase the sim was designed for aircraft not trucks and cars but by having lots of sim's in one we get
rid of this problem :D

Cheer's
Ligerox

You basically just explained exactly what I would like from this simulator :D

The goods transporting idea is great, but I think the engine should work like FSX- where there is the option to do 'missions' like that one, maybe in specific vehicles or a range of them, and there is also a free-roam mode where you can pick any vehicle and just drive/fly around, of course while haveing all the editor options like the road editor which can be saved and would appear in freeroam every other time, but probably not the missions which could have specifically designed sceneries for them.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9