Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Survey  (Read 220759 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Survey
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2010, 06:27:36 am »

Quote from: locoidal
I'm not sure.....but.....i think that probably the DCS' guys are behind these combat sim?. If this is true I'm going to be the happiest man in the world.
Remember that it's still in alpha state so whoever it is (can't tell), it does not necessarily mean anything :)
I was just saying that there's an interest from several developers, but we still have to implement a few features for it to become usable in their scenarios.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Survey
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2010, 06:52:09 am »

Quote from: steve_1979
Great works so far guys. The lighting changes from ground level up through the atmosphere look very impressive.  Assuming the videos were recorded real time and not pre-renderded the frame rates seem very smooth for the level of detail. The OpenGL tessalation looks every bit as good as the DX11 tessalation too.
There's no DX11-level tesselation used, even though it may look so. It's a fractal refinement done with DX10-level means. Actually tesselation shaders aren't needed here.

It will be interesting to see how weather and enviromental effects will be implemented. I would also be interested to see how capable the physics engine is - what happens when objects collide? Are there things like real time damage/deformation that can effect the handling of vehicles.
Note physics isn't necessarily tied to the rendering engine, we are demoing the integration with Bullet physics but developers may want to integrate different libraries here as well. Of course some feedback from the engine is required because the terrain is generated below certain resolution and so it has to provide the data for collision purposes. Another area where the engine will provide some help is the spatial index. Current physics engines weren't built for such large scales so they would behave in a suboptimal way.

locoidal

Survey
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2010, 06:57:35 am »

Quote from: cameni
Quote from: locoidal
I'm not sure.....but.....i think that probably the DCS' guys are behind these combat sim?. If this is true I'm going to be the happiest man in the world.
Remember that it's still in alpha state so whoever it is (can't tell), it does not necessarily mean anything :)
I was just saying that there's an interest from several developers, but we still have to implement a few features for it to become usable in their scenarios.

Thank you for your response.
Don't know why, but i have the feeling that i'm going to be very happy in the future....

Br

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Survey
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2010, 06:58:09 am »

Quote from: RaikoRaufoss
And congratulations on your 400th post Brano! :cool:
You know if Angrypig wrote as much as he talks in comparison with me, he would be at 1000 :D

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Survey
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2010, 01:49:13 pm »

Quote from: cameni
Current physics engines weren't built for such large scales so they would behave in a suboptimal way.

Well then. I suggest you start working on coding a brand new physics engine to use specifically with Outerra. The you can charge an arm and a leg and sell the technology to your competitors.

Now although it would be more to show off a physics engine nothing would make me happier then a quick implementation of physics sandbox building in the world of Outerra. Kind of like what Garry's mod is to the source engine.

Using welds, axis, rope, ballsockets and random props to build your own

Car -

Plane -

Train -

War-machine -

and run it around in outerra for several hundred hours. God knows I have wasted way more time then that in the cramped quarters of source's map size limits. Would cover the current driving, flight, war simulations for the demo.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Abc94

Survey
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2010, 01:34:41 pm »

Yes!!  A Garry's mod like sandbox game using the Outerra engine is a must!

Also would be great to have something like Wire Mod with it as well.
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
Survey
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2010, 10:03:55 pm »

Cameni and Angrypig just had coronaries considering all of this :)

Hehehe.

*edit* Not to mention the crap I've sent to Cameni lately through email.  They're all probably exhausted and wish they'd never created a forum.

*edited because I have a happy trigger finger*
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Survey
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2010, 10:39:00 pm »

Quote from: cshawnsmith
Not to mention the crap I've sent to Cameni lately through email.

what's so important that you can't post it on the forums.. you have to be all secretive and send emails..
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

C. Shawn Smith

Survey
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2010, 01:43:36 am »

LOL ... personal questions regarding a few applications of the engine I'm interested in, for projects of a fictional nature.

I'm currently working on a trilogy of fantasy novels, loosely entitled The Journeys of the Greywolf, which will chronicle a main character's journey during a war he didn't want to be a part of.  It was loosely based on a PBS television series called "How the West was Lost."  One of the projects I want to create would be a companion application that would take a potential reader on a virtual tour of the world I'm creating.  Thus the reason I'm interested in model hierarchies, the way the engine builds the level of detail, etc.

Currently, I'm working in Lightwave and Zbrush to create the world, but I haven't been able to achieve the level of detail I want for the video clips (I've come very close, using some layering techniques the Outerra engine uses, but it's still in its early stages).  Something like the Outerra engine would give me that level of detail, provided I can come up with the height maps and other details necessary (which I'm currently working on).  Plus, there are a few other side projects that I recently began contemplating that the Outerra engine may be able to do for me, which most other current freeware engines only barely are able to accomplish, without a lot of re-coding.  Since I'm not a programmer (just a glorified HTML jockey and pixel pusher by trade), the Outerra engine has possibilities for me that only one or two others come close to approaching.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Survey
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2010, 01:59:00 am »

Oh. I mostly just emailed him nude photo's of myself, but I guess your stuff is more interesting to him because he never replies to mine :/

C. Shawn Smith

Survey
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2010, 02:00:02 am »

Not to mention that Cameni has been a genuinely nice guy, and very supportive in his emails :).  Most other indy engines currently in development don't have devs of this quality.

C. Shawn Smith

Survey
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2010, 02:01:03 am »

And ROTFL!!!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Survey
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2010, 02:42:42 am »

But I was thinking that in the demo there could be something to shoot at .. like some nude guys running out of the forests screaming .. or some such ;)

C. Shawn Smith

Survey
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2010, 02:56:04 am »

LOL

So inspiration strikes me:

ZeosPantera emerges from the Forest of Woe, disheveled, haggard, and completely nude.  All the warnings to him had gone unheeded, and now he's paying the price.

The last straw was the giant tree that tried to eat him.  A tree with teeth was something unheard of, even in the most ridiculous of fairy tales.  But it happened, and Zeos wasn't happy about it.

As Zeos emerged from the gloomy veil of the tree-line, he stood face-to-face with Cameni the Barbarian.  Realizing his predicament -- no weapon, no armor, and completely nude -- Zeos sighed and fell to his knees.

"Just get it over with, already," he said, fate weighing in his voice.

Cameni laughed, sending shivers down Zeos's spine.  As he raised the sword above his head ...........

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Survey
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2010, 03:22:47 am »

Quote from: cshawnsmith
blah blah blah.

I don't see anything about me riding a dinosaur in this. Fail

I had a great thought for the demo however.. Go get perfectly to scale models of recognizable landmarks (Statue of liberty, The Empire State building, Eiffel Tower, The Colosseum, etc) and allow us to spawn them where-ever we like. Just as a reference. I mean scale is a big thing in outerra and having a teeny tiny Eiffel Tower amidst the ever expanding mountain ranges would do it for me. Especially if you were to just walk under it in-game.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9